What riding gear do you wear?

Today I got a chance for a ride. Those D3O knee pads are so flexible it was like riding without any. For once my Kevlar lined jeans felt nice and comfortable. Another advance of being so flexible is you can easily turn your trousers inside out to adjust the pads position.

Last edited:
Upgraded the helmet to a Built Techno 3. Not enough ventilation. The communications are untested as I ride alone. FM radio while I ride is nice. I've had this helmet for about 8-9 months and the batteries don't hold a charge. It's a 3X and it still seems small. The old Built Solar was a XX. Fit great. Been using the Brosh pants 4-5 yrs now. Checked on the price for a new pair. STICKER SHOCK! What I got for $105 back in the 20teens are now $289! I expected a higher price but daaammmm. They are still in good shape for as old as they are.

Phelps Dodge ?
No, when I worked there it was owned by Inspiration Consolidated Copper Co. , It has changed hands over the years and now belongs to Freeport-Mcmoran copper and gold. Phelps Dodge does maintain a large presence in Arizona though. I actually worked at an open pit mine that was 30 miles out of town, called the Christmas mine. That was 45 years ago and since then that mine has been completely erased, the pit is still there, but all the shop buildings, office buildings, mine executives homes, the crusher and processing plant…..everything, even the concrete slabs the buildings sat on have been removed. All thats left is the pit, which nature has begun to reclaim.

I was going to continue this line of conversation in the “ Just Ride “ thread , but I didn’t want to clog up that thread and I thought there might be some useful ideas from some of you guys, so here goes,
I’m interested in what you guys wear ( or don’t ) in the way of protective riding gear, both summer and winter.
I’m particularly interested to hear if you guys wear specific riding pants. Also I’m interested if your gear is armored or not and if any of you have upgraded your armor. I’ll kick it off.

I wear a ,
HJC modular helmet with an inner sun visor, year round.
Joe Rocket 6.0 mesh jacket ( armored ) for summer
Tourmaster Jett Insulated and armored jacket for winter
Regular Jeans, year round
Tourmaster tall boots ( fully armored )for winter on cold days
Joe Rocket ventilated short boots ( fully armored) , summer and winter

About the riding pants, I tried a pair of armored mesh overpants, but they were too hot to wear over jeans and too bulky to easily move in. I got rid of them, but have since thought that maybe instead of jeans if I would’ve worn something thinner , maybe even shorts, and just treated the mesh pants as jeans?
I do worry a little about not having something abrasion resistant and no padding on my hips and especially knees. What do you guys do?

Regarding upgraded armor, the armor that comes in most jackets is really basic foam stuff. Better than nothing for sure, but there are some real quality aftermarket armor out there, especially back protectors.
Have any of you upgraded?
View attachment 171973
There’s even an argument to wear something like this, under an abrasive resistant jacket shell.
View attachment 171974
So...... what do you wear for protective gear?
Arai jet, genuine Barbour A7 wax jacket or vintage French brand Motocuir leather Jacket, a jean, French Soubirac Bol d’Or vintage boots (from early 70’s) and Lewis Leathers gloves in summer (not riding in winter, only 3 month in Southern France…)

Attachments

• CD37A132-2559-4922-8147-260B3AE8A2AE.jpeg
    CD37A132-2559-4922-8147-260B3AE8A2AE.jpeg
    678.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 73918B4F-89B9-497B-A354-A43259F6D635.jpeg
    73918B4F-89B9-497B-A354-A43259F6D635.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 87
Generally, a waterproof textile armoured jacket and kevlar jeans, all year round.
Me? Generally a camo thong with a pair of fringed and studded chaps. A leather studded demi-bra completes the ensemble. For head protection I wear a replica Greek/ Spartan helmet. Don't judge me, it's Pride month!!!

Last edited:
Regarding frilly unmentionables - before I bought the Corbin seat for the FJ, I tried a pair of spandex bike shorts with strategically placed padding. They actually helped quite a bit. Haven't bothered with them since I got the Corbin butt (see what I did there?) for a long trip I might.
Dredging this old post up again...

I went for my first long ride (100 miles away and back) of the season today and I wish I'd thought to put my bike shorts on. My behind is killing me!

Also, somebody shrunk my Brosh kevlar pants AND moved the button over a couple of inches!

I was noticing my Brosh jeans fabric was getting a mite thin. After getting over the sticker shock from their website I went to "Leatherup" and found a pair of armored jeans, loose fit with removable knee armor for $104. We'll see how these go.

My current updated kit consists of the following:

For Track Days:

I use a BKS one piece suit (I need to lose a few kilos to fit in it now!:lmao::eek:)
https://www.bksleather.co.uk/products/one-piece-suits/evolution-collection/bks-100r-stage-6
BKS 1PC.PNG
BKS 1PC S2.PNG

Quality base layer underneath for supreme comfort.
Shoei NXR full face helmet.

shoei NXR helmet.PNG

Old Alpinestars race boots & gloves go with this.

For General Cruising:
Helstons Tracker jacket:
HELSTONS TRACKER.PNG

I LOVE this jacket:heart::heart::heart: Looks so cool on the Welsh Flat Tracker!
Decent armoured jeans and old pair of red & white Dianese gloves.
hood jeans.PNG

Alpinestars Sektor boots:
ASTARS SEKTOR BOOTS.PNG

Hedon Open Face helmet (Silver)
hedon.PNG

Don't forget the cool Oakley or Rayban glasses!😎

Other Kit:
Alpinestars Airflow leather Jacket (& Matching pants)
ALPINESTARS AIRFLOW.PNG

Oxford Products Tucson gloves
1.PNG

Use same boots as cruising kit.

Shark (Drak I think) full face helmet:
Capture.PNG

All great quality with comfort and protection; all highly recommended.
Keep Safe,
Ads :devil:

Back