What the Heck Is It ?

Catskills garage sale pick-up from yesterday, cost me 25 cents.

It is 6 inches long, and has no maker's mark, just a number, so I'm thinking it was used in some industrial situation in the 20's or 30's, perhaps for a production machine in the inspection process? Pushing a pin out of something, perhaps?

Tool25.jpg
Tool25,5.jpg

Was it a valve press before the bottom lip broke off??
Frankly, Paul, I must admit that I've been so busy that I haven't carefully inspected this item.
Now that you mention it, the lower edge seems to be machined on a slope, and quite unevenly, which calls into question its utility. Someone seems to have modified it quite crudely.

Tool25,55.jpg

Not sure what Yamadudes tool is but looks like it is made to pull something off a shaft, maybe some kind of seal?

But I reminded me of something that I have had for years and never figured out. I'm assuming it is some kind of a puller tool for something automotive as it is marked New Britain which at one time was a tool company that was sold by NAPA Autoparts.

Tool03.JPG

Tool02.JPG
Tool01.JPG

The large outer housing measures 2 3/8 o.d. and 3 3/4 long threaded rod is 3/4 fine thread. Also might not be clear but the one end of the housing is cut on about a 5º angle.

Actually feel bad for who ever bought it as from the looks of it it may have only be use at the most once if that! Threads on the rod are like new and even the washer the nut rides against looks almost perfect like it was never even used!

Anyone have source of old New Britain tool catalogs?

Not sure what Yamadudes tool is but looks like it is made to pull something off a shaft, maybe some kind of seal?

But I reminded me of something that I have had for years and never figured out. I'm assuming it is some kind of a puller tool for something automotive as it is marked New Britain which at one time was a tool company that was sold by NAPA Autoparts.

View attachment 195735
View attachment 195736 View attachment 195737
The large outer housing measures 2 3/8 o.d. and 3 3/4 long threaded rod is 3/4 fine thread. Also might not be clear but the one end of the housing is cut on about a 5º angle.

Actually feel bad for who ever bought it as from the looks of it it may have only be use at the most once if that! Threads on the rod are like new and even the washer the nut rides against looks almost perfect like it was never even used!

Anyone have source of old New Britain tool catalogs?
That is a heavy diesel injector puller, not sure what model specifically for. Maybe Detroit 71 series...

Catskills garage sale pick-up from yesterday, cost me 25 cents.

It is 6 inches long, and has no maker's mark, just a number, so I'm thinking it was used in some industrial situation in the 20's or 30's, perhaps for a production machine in the inspection process? Pushing a pin out of something, perhaps?

View attachment 195724 View attachment 195725
That looks like an older tie rod/ball joint tool...

That is kind of what I was thinking but would like to have something to know exactly what ones. Some one might need it and I could make some money off it!
Id say it's old, probably for mechanical injectors of some sort could be old CAT.

Id say it's old, probably for mechanical injectors of some sort could be old CAT.
Here you can see similar parts in a modern injector service kit, but chasing down specifically what injector/engine its for could be difficult. I'd start looking at older unit type injector motors.
71id3-VgznL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Not saying it can't be a puller for for injectors of some kind but having worked on heavy equipment for 45 years never saw one that would use something like this. The better part of the big engines I did work on were Cat. Also being a New Britain tool I'm leaning towards it being automotive or light truck application.

Just for fun I did post those pictures and text over on the heavy equipment forum. Between those here and the people over there I will be surprised if someone does not have a solid answer!

Is there a part number in addition to the New Britain stamping? If so Google the whole thing, name and number. You might be surprised what pops up.
That was my first hope but other than New Britain and Made in U.S.A the only marking is a letter "T".

I've done a good bit of scrolling through online copies of New Britain tool catalogues with no luck so far. Did find an Old tool forum and posted there to see it that gets any hints.

Is there a part number in addition to the New Britain stamping? If so Google the whole thing, name and number. You might be surprised what pops up.
Well seems the old tool forum might have come through for this one. At least one person there says it is a tool for Flathead Ford V-8's New Britain Part number F-198. Not seeing much of anything on that number on Google.

But from what I see when looking for Ford flathead I see that the valve, guide and spring assembly are all assembled as a unit and installed in the bore in the block as one then a C-clip like thing holds them in place. This tool is used to remove them. Apparently the valves are in the block at a 5º angle from the head surface that is why the outer housing has the angel on the bottom.

Already this morning have a guy in Virginia who might have a friend who wants the tool!

Well seems the old tool forum might have come through for this one. At least one person there says it is a tool for Flathead Ford V-8's New Britain Part number F-198. Not seeing much of anything on that number on Google.

But from what I see when looking for Ford flathead I see that the valve, guide and spring assembly are all assembled as a unit and installed in the bore in the block as one then a C-clip like thing holds them in place. This tool is used to remove them. Apparently the valves are in the block at a 5º angle from the head surface that is why the outer housing has the angel on the bottom.

Already this morning have a guy in Virginia who might have a friend who wants the tool!
I bet the T stamp means top if its got to be indexed to a certain angle.

Back