What to check on a new to you bike

NewToXs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently got a 1980 Xs and have been going though some misc things to make it trustworthy.

I had it about a month now and thus far replaced the TCI, tires and fuse box.

I dropped the sump filter today and it had a hole which I gather is the norm. I made a piece out of aluminum to wrap around it to cover the hole. My clutch slips a little winding it out in 5th gear and I’m hoping its due to the wrong oil type. We shall see shortly if a clutch is in order.

Next things on my list are to:

1. Investigate an oil leak under the side cover on the drive side. Guessing it’s either a clutch shaft or output shaft seal. Either way it will be corrected.

2. Check/adjust the valves.

3. Pull the forks and change seals, oil and polish fork legs. They aren’t currently leaking but they are 40 years old. Seals and crush washers arrived today.

What else should I check with a unknown bike to verify it’s ok?

Bike has 9000 miles and someone has been in the topend at somepoint as the cylinder and head are black. I don’t believe they came that way from the factory. The guy I bought the bike from wasn’t familiar with it or it’s history. He had bought it this year as a starter bike.

I recently got a 1980 Xs and have been going though some misc things to make it trustworthy.

I had it about a month now and thus far replaced the TCI, tires and fuse box.

I dropped the sump filter today and it had a hole which I gather is the norm. I made a piece out of aluminum to wrap around it to cover the hole. My clutch slips a little winding it out in 5th gear and I’m hoping its due to the wrong oil type. We shall see shortly if a clutch is in order.

Next things on my list are to:

1. Investigate an oil leak under the side cover on the drive side. Guessing it’s either a clutch shaft or output shaft seal. Either way it will be corrected.

2. Check/adjust the valves.

3. Pull the forks and change seals, oil and polish fork legs. They aren’t currently leaking but they are 40 years old. Seals and crush washers arrived today.

What else should I check with a unknown bike to verify it’s ok?

Bike has 9000 miles and someone has been in the topend at somepoint as the cylinder and head are black. I don’t believe they came that way from the factory. The guy I bought the bike from wasn’t familiar with it or it’s history. He had bought it this year as a starter bike.
If I were you, I would check the tires (age, weathering), stem bearings for adjustment/excessive play, as well as the swingarm bushings for play/lateral movement. Check chain and sprockets, maybe check alternator resistance (slip ring to slip ring). I defer to the experts on this forum for further input!

If I were you, I would check the tires (age, weathering), stem bearings for adjustment/excessive play, as well as the swingarm bushings for play/lateral movement. Check chain and sprockets, maybe check alternator resistance (slip ring to slip ring). I defer to the experts on this forum for further input!
Sorry, missed your tire refresh!

I'd check throttle and clutch cables, replace if in doubt. I also routinely replace hydraulic brake lines (sometimes with braided steel unless originality is priority) and rebuild brake cylinders if any sticking or fluid is really dark.

Last edited:
Yes, the brake system needs to be taken apart and cleaned. Just pumping fresh fluid through it isn't enough. Yes, replace the brake line with a stainless one, they're quite cheap now.

I don't replace fork seals unless they're leaking. But yes, do pull the forks apart and clean the internals out. Again, just a fluid flush won't do it, you need to get inside and swab the gunk out. Also, consider doing the Minton Mods, basically a free mod that improves fork action. See post #60 in this thread .....

https://www.xs650.com/threads/200-special.51454/page-3

Many times, the oil leak from under the left cover is due to a loose sprocket nut. It needs to be really tight, like 94 ft/lbs tight, in order not to leak.

Well, Joe Minton originally came up with the mod for the 35mm forks he had on the '78 Special the "Minton Mods" article was based on, but that's not to say it couldn't be beneficial to the 34mm forks as well. I've never worked on any 34mm forks and don't know what their damper rods look like. If those rods have a similar number of oil holes and they're similarly sized compared to the 35mm damper rod, then they may very well benefit from Minton modding.

The 1981 XS bikes had black barrels and black valve cover with argent silver head. May be your engine is 1981.
The cylinder head is also black with chrome valve covers. I’m just guessing it’s been tinkered with as most I see have silver heads even with black cylinders.

Although I did just see a YouTube video of one with a black cylinder and head but that was the first.

Thanks for the links to the tech articles.

Just dropped the side cover and it is the clutch push rod seal leaking. Another $200 in parts ordered. I ordered the seals, bushing, clutch cable since I'm messing with it and also a set of chain and sprockets.

I suspect by the time I'm done with getting the bike up to snuff I'll have doubled my purchase price of the bike to get it mechanically where I want it to be. It will still need to be pulled apart, painted and a bunch of pitted chrome replaced to make it a beauty but I settle for rideable with no worries for the moment.

This is my first foray into "classic" bikes and I like it thus far. Just wish I had more space in the garage to work on stuff. A lifting table would be awesome too.

What to check? Think of it like an old car maybe. Does it run, what's it sound like, does it have brakes....

Back