What to do with old Oil Screen

Bear1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Not particularly important but I am going through a 1979 engine and will be replacing the Oil Strainer with a new strainer from MikesXS with the improved screen support. My question is should I just toss the old one or save it? Back in the day I repaired them, but I don't plan to do that. I can clean it up if anyone is interested in repairing it for themselves.

Yep, and besides that the Fuji strainer from Mike's XS is just as vulnerable to damage as the original. The added support is on the wrong side of the mesh to be effective. There are quite a few threads and posts on ways to shield the problem area. Search and you will find.

Yes, the spot that usually tears on these is the point that sticks out just past the magnet. If you examine one of those aftermarket replacements, you'll see the perforated steel sheet used to back up the screen isn't even present in that area, lol. Kind of silly, not reinforcing the one spot that really needs it, lol. And besides that, the magnets fall out. I found my MikesXS replacement torn at the first oil change and, as mentioned, one of the magnets came loose .....

Sump Filters.jpg

I now make up sheet metal guards that bolt on over that vulnerable end of the filter .....

SumpFilterGuard.jpg

SumpFilterGuard2.jpg

I wrap the guard all the way around the backside to the magnet back there because I had one of my patched filters eventually tear back there. It seems when you patch the vulnerable point on the front, this simply moves the stress to other areas on that end of the filter. I also found the backside magnet location differs from filter to filter .....

SumpFilterGuard5.jpg

Yes, it is the sump strainer, the Yamaha Service Manual I have just calls it an oil strainer. I hadn't heard of any issues with the Mikes strainer and yes the mesh is a little more open but I was more worried about any added restriction from the perforated screen support, not so much now that I compared the two. I did the thread search as suggested and it is the same repair as I did back in the 80's only I soldered the plate instead of the JB Weld. I will be using the new strainer and may do the "repair" prior to final installation as a shield to the vulnerable area. If anyone is interested in the old strainer they can have it (unrepaired) no charge.

Attachments

• Screen .jpg
    Screen .jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen 1.jpg
    Screen 1.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 67
If the screen is still present, just torn, there's no need to add any metal plate. The screen makes an excellent backing for the JBWeld, like the glass mat you lay up fiberglass with.

Heidens, or:

No need block the entire area off, drill a series of small holes, then oil can still get through easily without filter gauze.

Attachments

• filterguard outer.jpg
    filterguard outer.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 82
  • filterguard inner.jpg
    filterguard inner.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 65
  • filterguard fitted.jpg
    filterguard fitted.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 73
Response to Hovel; The only downside I can see is I couldn't find a Stateside source and have not dealt with buying anything from Europe since I got scammed on a plasma cutter many years ago. I believe Heiden is very reputable I just haven't worked with them directly.

Around 15,000 miles ago I was doing a routine oil change and was shocked to see what looked like half a cup of gold glitter in the oil. Motor had digested the screen from the sump filter in the area mentioned above. So what I did was...NOTHING. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. But here's my "reasoning". I ride almost every day above freezing. Lots of cold, full choke starts. So. Fast idle, thick oil and a restrictive screen sounds like a recipe for oil starvation. No issues yet.

Back