What year speedometers fix a 76 XS650?

Zonie

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The needle is broken on my new to me XS650 speedometer. It is one of those 85MPH ones (thank you Jimmy Carter). Need to replace it and want to know what years will fit mine? Don't care if it is one of the 85MPH ones and of course not KPH. Also what should I have to pay for one?
Thanks in advance for your help and advise.

John in Texas

The original would have been 140 MPH not 85 which didn't start til about 1980
a pic of your gauges?
Here's what a 76 came with.
p1010319-jpg.15219

All these gauges swap into your buckets......76-83/4 all interchange

76C gauge faces are a one year only colour. Looks similar to the 77D and 78E gauge but it fades differently and the rev-counter redline is slightly orange
76...... per Gary's pic
p1010319-jpg.15219

77D Had a mid year change on the rev counter
3a 77 Brake lining light.JPG

77D .....after change
3b  77 D Late Engine # No brake lining light.jpg

78E........ same as 77D after change
4 78E.JPG

79F......Gauges change to 120mph and new gauge face and needle
6 79F.jpg

78SE.....79SF.......792F./SII.......Rev counter has Neutral and high beam light.
5 78SE Special .jpg

80G/SII
78/79 lookalike bike. The speedo is changed to 85mph and the tower and rev-counter is the same as 78/79 bikes
image.jpg

A set of 76 gauges in my 80SG gauge buckets and cluster
2z 76XSC-79SF copyright.jpg

80 is when the Speedo changed to 85mph, and carried through to the end of production in 83........Rev counter neutral light disappeared but basically stayed the same from 78 -83/4
8  80SG-81SH-82J-83K XS650.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it appears your tach was changed as well. Both are from late model Specials. To match the current tach (face and needle color), you'll want a '78-'79 Special speedo. Sticking with these newer instruments, you'll be missing a neutral light, but I suppose you could wire up that "Brake Lining" light in your dash to use in it's place. Not much need for that thing, Yamaha actually eliminated it the following year.

I broke two or three XS650 needles until I got a replacement foam ring that goes between the face and the bucket. Before the new ring the needles were swinging so I think that's what made them break. The replacement was available from dealers, probably still is

Also when they wired in the later special gauges they would have done a lot of wiring changes in the bucket. 76 pigtail from the gauges to the switches and ignition is a whole lot different to the later gauge sets due to the way the dash is set up and having 3 warning lights in the Rev-counter

Here is an original set of wiring diagrams and the JPEG file of the pigtails is from a set of 76Gauges i bought.

Full loom diagram has had any mistakes taken out. .........the bucket diagram is from the 76 Assembly manual.

These may help you understand what is in your bucket, (being a 76C) and what has been altered. ........When/if you get another speedo, depending on the year you get
5-8-20 d 75_76_XS650 B&C Wiring and Key Updated copy copyright.jpg
76C Assembly manual - parts  Manualt19 19.jpg
b 76C Gauge Cluster Wires copy.jpg
a IMG_7250 copy 1.jpg

Another change from the original 76-83 Speedo's is the 76 to 79 speedo's have 2 gauge lights in them. ...........from 80-83/4, (think it was in 80 when the change happened but it could have been 81), they changed to one gauge light

Can see where they blanked off where a second gauge light was below the speedo cable
DSCF7773.JPG

Yes, it appears your tach was changed as well. Both are from late model Specials. To match the current tach (face and needle color), you'll want a '78-'79 Special speedo. Sticking with these newer instruments, you'll be missing a neutral light, but I suppose you could wire up that "Brake Lining" light in your dash to use in it's place. Not much need for that thing, Yamaha actually eliminated it the following year.
I would guess that the original owner and not the guy I got this bike from must have replaced the clocks at sometime. Thank you all for your help and input I wish you all a very Merry Christmas.
John in Texas

Looked at all the pictures and the tach is electronic which isn't a bad thing.
Oops! glad you caught that before hitting BIN.
Wonder why they went to the 85 MPH speedometers in 80?

Big gummerment in the 70's gas shortages thought they would change our behavior by changing Speedometer dials.

Back