What year speedometers fix a 76 XS650?

Wonder why they went to the 85 MPH speedometers in 80?
To discourage speeding. The national speed limit had been reduced to 55 in an effort to conserve fuel during an oil crisis.
I had an XS2 that I had bought new in 72. The screws holding the dial face backed out and stopped the needle from doing a full sweep.
Memories.
John in Texas
Those screws backing out is somewhat common on '80 and later speedos and tachs. Never heard of it happening on an early speedo until now.

View attachment 203751
I have what might be an oddball 78-79 Specials speedo... the KM/H dial is white, not orange. Not sure what to make of this. Any others out there?

View attachment 203752
Compared to Skull's 78-79 Specials pic.

s-l1600-1-jpg.203751

Looks like the yellow from the kph has gone to the Odometer and trip meter dials......Yea never sen one that faded

With the shared photos of the years on the previous page I have a 1980 XS G series that has the hi-beam in the tach. This wasn't shown so I thought t complete the different years' styles to submit this pic. Yamaha 87.JPG

Well I got a good set of replacement instruments. Pulled them from there buckets and cleaned them up making sure the vibration insulation was in good shape. The one on my old ones were trashed and I expect that's why they shook themselves apart. Now the question how do I get the speedometer back into the bucket? It doesn't just drop in with the insulation on. Do I remove it and put the insulation in first and then put the speedometer in? What about the trip meter?

Try a wee bit of lube. That could be with the damper on the clock, lubed and then inserted into the bucket or it could be with the damper inserted into the bucket - it has that circumference cut to help hold it in place - lube and insert the clock. Remember - Lube the hole, not the pole.
They can be tricky.
The reset knob unscrews anti clockwise ,iirc, and can be a bear.

Try a wee bit of lube. That could be with the damper on the clock, lubed and then inserted into the bucket or it could be with the damper inserted into the bucket - it has that circumference cut to help hold it in place - lube and insert the clock. Remember - Lube the hole, not the pole.
They can be tricky.
The reset knob unscrews anti clockwise ,iirc, and can be a bear.
I will give that a try. Thanks for your input.

I found the easiest way as to put the rubber on the gauge. Leave the reset knob on and make a cut on the bottom of the piece of damper that the reset knob goes through. ...................slip the damper on the gauge and slide the cup up to the damper.

Will need a small lever to lever the damper into the cup as you slide the cup up.....some lithium gerase on the damper wont hurt......There is a groove in the damper where the lip of the cup sits into

Be gentle when levering the damper into the cup. It is just a matter of squeezing the rubber againt the gauge so the cup lip will slide over the lower part of the damper. Notice how the lower portion of the damper is not as thick as the top that sits between the cup and gauge bezel......If the rubber is nice and soft it is relative easy.........if the rubber is stiff the lever will break it and if it is that bad it is worn out and a new one should be bought

I found the easiest way as to put the rubber on the gauge. Leave the reset knob on and make a cut on the bottom of the piece of damper that the reset knob goes through. ...................slip the damper on the gauge and slide the cup up to the damper.

Will need a small lever to lever the damper into the cup as you slide the cup up.....some lithium gerase on the damper wont hurt......There is a groove in the damper where the lip of the cup sits into

Be gentle when levering the damper into the cup
I had tried part of that using silicon grease and a very small screwdriver. I expect that it will take some time to slowly work it into the bucket. Took a bit of time to get it out. Again, thank you and everyone who has given me ideas as to how I solve this problem.

Back