What's in your tool bag?

dubhaus

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm putting together my tools to take on long rides. What do you guys suggest to include in a survival tool bag?

-David

1/4" ratchet with extensions and sockets (for the most popular sizes on your bike ... for me its 10, 12, and 14mm) combination wrenches (again sizes to fit what you have) an adjustable wrench a pair of vice grips a pair of cutters a medium size pair of water pump pliers and a pair of needle nose pliers. I also carry a snap-on ratcheting screwdriver that stores bits in the handle.

Here's the official survival tool bag. Duplicate it and add some tape and some wire and a pocket knife. Then throw in whatever else makes you feel secure.

Attachments

• '81 tool kit.jpg
    '81 tool kit.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 466
All of the above, plus 2 spare spark plugs,6 fuses,a few tie-wraps,a spare key,arieal type magnet,small flashlight, AAA membership (or for us Canadians CAA)...............Hey dubhaus,how big is this tool bag anyway??

+1 for all of the above (except my ratchet is 3/8 drive), but w/o the cell phone. And, since I've replaced a lot of those cursed phillipshead screws with allens, 2 allen wrenches, , a couple shop towels, a spark plug socket, a bit of mechanic's (bailing) wire, and a small volt meter. Not everything fits in the stock tool container, but I've used it all at one time or another. If I'm going on a long(er) trip, 3 tire irons, a patch kit, and CO2. Oh, and a short roll of duct tape ;-). Yeah, I hate not having the tool I need.

Ok, putting this all together and making my own substitutions/additions, this is what a full tool bag calls for...

3/8" ratchet with extensions and sockets ( 10, 12, and 14mm)
a spark plug socket w/ 3/8” handle slot
combination wrenches (9 thru 14mm)
an adjustable wrench
a pair of vice grips
a pair of cutting pliers
a medium size pair of water pump pliers
a leatherman super tool (MUST have a knife!)
snap-on ratcheting screwdriver that stores bits in the handle.
2 allen wrenches ( Size to engine screws)
a spare key,
small extension magnet,
small flashlight,
Many, many, many, many zip ties.
2 spare spark plugs,
6 fuses,
a couple of spare bulbs, front and back
electrical tape.
a short roll of duct tape
a couple of clean rags
some bailing wire
a small volt meter.
3 tire irons,
a patch kit
CO2.
drive chain link and clip

I'm mounting a small side bag to the rear wheel, and without the voltmeter and duct tape, it should hold all this. What's missing?

sockets ( 10, 12, and 14mm)
What's missing?

17mm :) Also the three sockets for the sprocket nut, front wheel, and rear wheel and oil drain.

But I've discovered an important thing is spare parts. I've been though a pickup coil, an igntion coil, substandard float valves that swelled. Maybe other stuff I've forgotten. Take spares of electrical things.

If size/weight becomes an issue you could get by without some of the things in your list. I have the sockets but not the handle; but I have a torque wrench to double as a breaker bar and an adapter to use it as a handle if I have to. But I've used the factory tool kit wrenches for just about everything. Very versatile.

Will add the 17mm. Will also check sizes on the other things you mentioned. Will have to check the front wheel, the front end is a Paughco Springer, and the wheel itself is an aftermarket deal that has a small drum on it. I did NOT like driving without a front break. I have had electronic ignition installed, so am not worried about points, etc. A coil though...a consideration. My problem with factory wrenches is that they were history when I bought the bike...and haven't located replacements yet. I want to take a few longer trips with the Knights, so want to be prepared...when it comes out of the shop and I get home.

A coil though...a consideration..... factory wrenches... were history

I never thought I'd need a coil, but packed it because they fail and it was small. I also have a spare igntion box.

The factory wrenches, there's nothing special in there except wrenches that fit the two cam chain adjuster nuts real conveniently.

The longer you're gone the more you'll have to do, plus you'll be putting a lot of stress on it.

Also, don't know if you mentioned this. I have a small bicycle tire pump and a tubeless patch kit. Haven't had to use it, but have discovered just in time a nail stuck in tire.

I still have the oem tool kit, though I found it lacking a small wrench when one of my float bowl drains loosened up during a ride :doh:

Thankfully the pliers got it snug enough to get home without any fireworks.

Aside from that wrench, all I've added to it are zip ties.

What about some regular wire in addition to bailing wire? If something gets cut, chafed, what ever? Splice in a piece? Maybe some connectors or wire nuts? I think with the tools you have you could crimp an end on if you had to. I was at a rally once where a guy lost the key out of his XS, it vibrated out , imagine that!. I always thought if you had one of the springy wrist key things , you could hook it on to the bike and the key couldn't drop out.
mvK1K7g70lcUbNhZapz1lIg.jpg

Just ride it.
Rely on the good natue of people to get you through the trouble.
I don't think you could get stranded anywhere in the US, probably the world.
To many XSive people to get left alone.

Thank you for your service Gene!
Your earlier post led me to believe your "riding" was going to happen when you got back home and the bike got out of the shop.

Back