What's Pi$$ing you off thread

kshansen

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Could not easy find a place for this so thought I'd start one. If it is not acceptable fee free to delete and slap the back of my hand!

Cell phones.
Not for the reasons most here probably think of when that is brought up in a "What's pissing you off" thread.

Tonight wife and I decided to do frozen pizza from local grocery store for supper.

We had just started getting some snow before I took off on maybe a five mile drive to the store, most on a narrow country road with no real shoulders and deep ditches. It was just dusk when I left and I did not turn headlights on before I left.

I do not have hands free cell phone set up in the Rav4 and carry the cell phone in pants pocket so did not hear the "knock knock" sound it makes when a text comes in till I was in the store. I checked the message while picking out the pizzas and saw where she sent "Don't forget the head lights!" As reception in the store can be spotty and I already planed on calling her with the temperature to set the oven to I figured I'd wait till I was out of the store.

Once out in the car checked the message again and as she had sent it from her cell phone I left a voice mail reply on her cell phone, figured she had taken the dogs outside was the reason she did not answer.

Now just after I get back on the main road and then turn up the country road I start getting incoming calls on cell phone, but as I don't have a hands free set up I don't know right off who was calling so figured it could wait as there was no easy way to pull over to take the call. Roads had by now a couple inches of slimy snow and I would be in my driveway in ten minutes at the most!

Get home to the wife all upset at me thinking I had been killed in major accident or something because I had not found a place to pull over and see what she was wanting.

I guess what pisses me off about the dam cell phones is now that so many people have got used to having instant connection with everyone in the world they go into some panic mode if it takes ten minutes to make contact.

Have to wonder how any of us old farts managed to survive back in the days when if you need to contact someone while not at home or office you had to find a payphone and then hope you had some change in your pocket to use it. that's is some SOB had not smashed it to steel a hand full of quarters!

OK Rant over for now!

Every night I record the reruns shown of Perry Mason and Highway Patrol. Two things really stand out. 1, they smoke cigarettes any time, any where.:yikes: and 2 they use "pay phones". :doh: Can you imagine either of those today.:shrug:

You do not have the time or the bandwidth for even the "A" list of stuff that's pissing me off.

So far, knock on wood, my cell phone has been a blessing. WIfe can't/won't learn to use one, but can call me on the landline if she forgot something on the shopping list.

I have hands-free (bluetooth) in both vehicles, but that's for voice only. Still have to wait so see what the text was about, but family members are used to waiting for me to get around to checking the phone.

I also have a love hate relationship with cell phones ( and most technology for that matter) , I like it for my own personal convenience, but I began to resent this culture of always having to be accessible to anyone-anytime.
It is especially irksome to me , to be talking to someone and their phone rings or blings with a call or text and they immediately cut you off and become completely absorbed in their phone.
I got rid of my land line years ago, I’m cell phone only these days, I also keep my phone silenced at all times. I turn my phone off at night and if I don’t know who’s calling, I don’t answer.
I used to have a face book account years ago.....deleted it
I used to have an Instagram account......deleted it
I tried to cut the cord a while back and canceled my cable TV, I put up a TV antenna, but programs were dismal, so I’m back to cable.
I use technology because I’m forced to, but sometimes I feel like I’m living in the wrong era. In my head, I’m stuck in the 70’s. This forum being the exception of course! :laugh2:

You kids GET OFF MY LAWN !
85E15206-04E9-4D7C-B5A4-536E03D72D7C.png

You have NO idea how many times I've wanted to use the Universal Reset Tool ( a big hammer) on my cell phone. And, as a retired field tech for the phone company (you know... the big one... on the horizon :wink2: ), I could've used any phone, any time, anywhere. But cell phones? I called my work phone "The Albatross", because I carried it on a lanyard around my neck all day. Voice mail? Not in my job description. I was expected to answer it every time somebody called, usually with a stupid question they could've answered themselves, if they'd used their heads. I was responsible for too much crap. So, after I got my 40 years, I bailed. My blood pressure started dropping over night, like going on vacation, except, I never hafta go back! :laugh: Now, it's just the personal calls I either take, or don't, 'cuz I'm RETIRED! Nyah! :laughing:
About the only down-side is, now that I'm on a fixed income, I gotta pick & choose my projects, when I can work on them, and what I can afford to spend. Who knew life (after working) would become so interesting? :shrug:

It's funny how we have 24/7 phones and many people 'round the country and world I think of as friends but I have never spoken with them. Kinda sad. Then again we now communicate in a method similar to the way we would have 100 years ago (mostly without the days and weeks waits between replies)

Right now my biggest grip is my WiFi internet. Our service when we lived in town wasn't great, but most of that I attributed to our old house having issues getting the wireless signal through the plaster and lathe walls. But now that we have moved to the country it is a constant battle. My cell service on my phone is pretty decent, so I use that a lot. But anytime we want to watch a movie on Netflix or Amazon it is hell to try and connect to WiFi. I have to play a game of resetting our router, then resetting the Roku, then re-entering my WiFi password. It works about 50% of the time, then really pisses me off when half way through a program it boots me off and I have to start the process all over again. Most of the time i have better luck using my cell phone as a hotspot and connecting that way. Unfortunately I have no other option for internet based on where I live. My municipal electric company is going to start offering it, but we are likely 2-3 years down the road. I am a pretty calm person, but this Internet issue really pegs my rev-meter!

Not a cell phone rant, actually the opposite. I think I was the last person in the country to get a cell phone. At the time everyone else was probably on G3, but what I got was a flip phone. A couple more non-smart phones later, and my current phone was crapping out. My carrier is Consumer Cellular ("wireless for old people"), and I bought the cheapest smart phone on their site. So here's the thing -- it cost me $30 + tax to my door!!! Can you believe it?! It is G4, and is actually incredibly thin, but with a big screen, and it is amazing!
That was just a few days ago. Now the rant. So, just a couple of days later my computer blows up -- there was literally smoke coming out of it. Good thing I was there to unplug it when it happened, or there might have been a true catastrophe. So I buy a somewhat half-decent new one. What a POS. Came completely bloated with an incredible amount of crap. But worse, is that access to make almost any useful changes to how it runs is denied by default. I'm actually somewhat computer literate, but the machine just assumes that you are an idiot and blocks everything. It's a tedious process to make meaningful changes, and I still haven't figured out access to some stuff.

I feel your pain, DB. Every time we bought a new computer, I would automatically add the cost of having the "Nerd Herd" set it up, thus removing all the crap. It's been worth it, in terms of time and aggravation, :banghead: to pay somebody else to do it. As far as computer literacy, having worked with a corporation's main frame computer for eight years, I know just enough to screw them up catastrophically. :yikes:

One other rant on cell phones is I made the "mistake" of up grading to a "smart phone" from my old flip phone thought it would be better!

Problem is I'm apparently not smart enough to understand all the extra "features".

Now I have been using computers online since Windows 3.0 on a I believe 486 machine which was about the top end at that time. I have few problems dealing with anything on the computer except I hate the touch screens and stay with what I would call "Classic Windows 7" desktop view and a cordless mouse. Never liked trying to scroll and swipe through all those pictures trying to find things that wife has on her Windows 10 laptop.

The cell phone is very much like that you have to see that little picture that looks like an old cassette tape to know there is a voice message. Why could they not just have nice big letters saying "CLICK TO HEAR VOICE MESSAGE" or "CLICK HERE TO READ TEXT MESSAGE"?

And what is the deal with the need for all the "EMOJI" things? If you want to try writing like that move to Egypt and study Hieroglyphics! Yes I had to look up the spelling of that and found that there are Hieroglyphics online translation programs and typewriter programs!
https://discoveringegypt.com/egyptian-hieroglyphic-writing/hieroglyphic-typewriter/

I feel your pain, DB. Every time we bought a new computer, I would automatically add the cost of having the "Nerd Herd" set it up, thus removing all the crap.

That crap is one of the reasons I don't get near wife's laptop. There are some many things on that screen that I feel like someone dropped me off in the middle of some city in China and told me to find someplace!

I spent my whole life from first day of school and 45 years working in buildings where you could look out a window and tell where you were at all times. Put me in a building where I have no windows and I can get so lost in a few seconds I almost have a panic attack. Wife had to go to ER a couple years ago and while there I needed the rest room. Probably all of 100 feet from her bed. I needed to ask a nurse for directions back to her room!

Now take a 12 cylinder diesel engine and strip it to bare block and I could reassemble it with only a page with torque spec's and maybe the valve settings and have it running again. So I don't think I'm that brain dead!

When I was doing free-lance IT work, I pretty much had to have a cell phone. Started out with a bag phone, went through a couple of flip phones and was happy with them until the local providers no longer supported them. I VERY reluctantly moved up to a low-end (<$200) smart phone.

I had always poo-pooed texting as a kid thing but I'm here to tell you it's the greatest invention since the phone! Three main reasons:

1) I have serious hearing loss, especially in the frequency range of most female voices and I can't hear shit over a phone. Texting eliminates a lot of mistakes and repeats.

2) I can send a text and then go do something else and check for a reply later. No playing phone tag or leaving voice mail. Same goes for receiving texts. I'll see it when and if I feel like checking my phone.

3) You have a record of what was said AND you can attach pictures to be sure the recipient understands what you're talking about.

I even have a couple of apps that I use on a regular basis.

One tracks vehicle data. I use that mostly for tracking mileage but it also tracks maintenance if you want.

The other is a "rewards program" at our favorite supermarket. You can "clip" coupons on the phone and when you check out just enter your mobile number and it will compare your list of coupons and your register data and automatically deduct any coupons. Also automatically applies a discount for any store brands you've bought. Saves us around $40 a quarter. Not huge, but it's so easy, why not?

Then there's the ease of snapping a photo before you head to NAPA to get a part. "I need one of these." "No, that's not the right one, see? The one I need has the framis joint on the other side."

Like the internet, I wouldn't willingly go back to NOT having that bit of technology riding around in my pocket.

Every night I record the reruns shown of Perry Mason and Highway Patrol. Two things really stand out. 1, they smoke cigarettes any time, any where.:yikes: and 2 they use "pay phones". :doh: Can you imagine either of those today.:shrug:
I like to watch Perry Mason sometimes in the morning. The perfect clothes. Perfect manners and style. Never is anything out of place for any reason.
What pisses me off? Followers of idiots and the idiot that is leading them to deeper idiocy.

When I was doing free-lance IT work, I pretty much had to have a cell phone. Started out with a bag phone, went through a couple of flip phones and was happy with them until the local providers no longer supported them. I VERY reluctantly moved up to a low-end (<$200) smart phone.

I had always poo-pooed texting as a kid thing but I'm here to tell you it's the greatest invention since the phone! Three main reasons:

2) I can send a text and then go do something else and check for a reply later. No playing phone tag or leaving voice mail. Same goes for receiving texts. I'll see it when and if I feel like checking my phone.

Well that number two would not have helped me in the situation I was dealing with as I did reply to the text message to the phone it was sent from but for some reason it was either not received right away or the person it was sent to for some reason did not hear the "tones" telling her I had sent a message.

Agree on the number three:
3) You have a record of what was said AND you can attach pictures to be sure the recipient understands what you're talking about.

Having a record of exactly what you "said/wrote" and a picture is very good.

Maybe it's just my "clumsy thumbs" that give me trouble with the texting. I do have a slight bit of hand tremors so hitting the right letters can at time be a challenge. Despite taking typewriting back in high-school (before it was changed to keyboarding) I'm a great typist but at least the keys are big enough for me to hit the right ones 80% of the thyme, I mean time!

An old text message on my wife's phone kept me out of jail one night. It was proof my accuser knew the situation and could have dealt with it rationally.

Maybe it's just my "clumsy thumbs" that give me trouble with the texting. I do have a slight bit of hand tremors so hitting the right letters can at time be a challenge. Despite taking typewriting back in high-school (before it was changed to keyboarding) I'm a great typist but at least the keys are big enough for me to hit the right ones 80% of the thyme, I mean time!

I find a stylus helps a lot with that. I don't shake (much...) but my finners cover about 6 "keys" at once so it can be an issue.

Back