what's the ideal compression ratio?

Eig=TwoManyXS1Bs;440450]Do you folks use oil temp gauges?

Awhile back, while researching Australia, I found these posted on an Australian tourism website, the answers are the actual responses by the website officials, who obviously have a great sense of humor (not to mention a low tolerance threshold for cretins!)
________________________________________________*
Q:*Does it ever get windy in* Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, how do the plants grow? (UK).*
A: We import all plants fully grown, and then just sit around watching them die.*
Q:*I want to walk from Perth to Sydney* - can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden)
A: Sure, it's only three thousand miles.* Take lots of water.*
Q:*Can you give me some information about hippo racing in* Australia* ? (USA)*
A: Af-ri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of* Europe* .
Aust-ra-lia is that big island in the middle of the Pacific which does not ..
Oh, forget it.* Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.
Q:*Can I bring cutlery into* Australia* ? (UK)*
A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do.
Q:*Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round? (Germany)*
A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter/gatherers.* Milk is illegal.
Q:*I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees. (USA)*
A: It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them.
You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.
Q:*Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? (France)*
A: Only at Christmas.

I'm not surpised with some off the responses lol
We sometimes get some random questions from foreigners haha.

Oil temp gauge? Don't you just stick your tongue on the case? Haha just kidding :laugh: I haven't thought about that yet. Although what you think about the dip stick temp gauge idea?
I'm going to run an external cooler and thought about teeing off the flow line (before cooler) for a temp gauge?[/QUOTE]
running a dip stick oil guage and is a good investment .. eg .. found mounting a normal size tool roll on forks incresed temp by 20 degs .. came off immediatly .. good way to keep an eye on the motor

hey Stagers, my SR500 has 11.5:1 CR and it runs best on 98 octane from BP, anything else and I get a bit of knocking if I lug it at all up hills etc, I’d say 10:1 and you should be able to run it happily on premium from any of the major players.

I know a fellow from California who races an SR500 with high compression. He was using high octane race fuel and then tuned his carb for E-85 pump gas. I warned him about varying percentages of ethanol and learned that due to the hot temperatures of California the percentage is constant. This may be the same in Austrailia.

I bring this up because alcohol has three times the cooling power of gasoline. Also, the requirement of using more fuel because of the alcohol adds even more cooling. Air cooled engine plus hot climate equals good!

E-85 has ~100 octane so coupled with the cooling allows very high compression.

Tt

Hi Tom, another thing that complicates it is that the US and Australian octane ratings are different, I think we use RON rating and you use AKI, from what I remember our 95 is actually a bit lower octane than yours, not sure about the rest of the world.

Hi Tom, another thing that complicates it is that the US and Australian octane ratings are different, I think we use RON rating and you use AKI, from what I remember our 95 is actually a bit lower octane than yours, not sure about the rest of the world.
In Norway, as well as Europe in general, RON is used. The best available pump fuel where I live, is normally Shell V-Power 98 or 99 RON.

The US is R + M octane which is about 5 points lower than research octane alone. Your 98 is my 93. The 100 is R + M or about 105 R.

You may find it interesting that I use water injection for detonation control on my roots supercharged Miata. It is a very powerful anti detonate.

Tt

Back