JaxShane650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my bike fell over not too long ago and before it did it did not make this noise. Before it fell the timing chain was tensioned correctly and valve clearances were in spec. I've just recently re adjusted the cam chain tension, but haven't adjusted valve clearances yet. I don't see why they would change though if the bike just fell on its right side? Everything engine wise is pretty much stock besides the Heiden sump strainer and Heiden oil cooler/filter. Any ideas what could be causing this? The video goes over my problem pretty well.
Any help from you xs650 veterans out there is much appreciated :)

Crazy. I'd start with taken off the tappet covers and looking around. Check the valve springs and tappet/lock nut.
It did, to me, sound lower at the 1:39 mark. But could be the video.

Crazy. I'd start with taken off the tappet covers and looking around. Check the valve springs and tappet/lock nut.
It did, to me, sound lower at the 1:39 mark. But could be the video.
I just figured it out :doh:. You were right about it sounding lower, it was actually outside the engine. I put my hand on the exhaust and pushed on it and the sound went away. So when the bike fell, my 2 into 1 exhaust must of bent slightly and losened up. So I just tightened the exhaust manifold on both sides of the cylinders and then slightly bent the exhaust where it was rubbing on each other and the sound is gone :bike:.
Thanks for pointing out that it sounded lower.

I had a Honda m/c that did that one time and it turned out that the STATOR was dragging on the case after it had slid outward just a bit after a dump... Just an idea...

I just figured it out :doh:. You were right about it sounding lower, it was actually outside the engine. I put my hand on the exhaust and pushed on it and the sound went away. So when the bike fell, my 2 into 1 exhaust must of bent slightly and losened up. So I just tightened the exhaust manifold on both sides of the cylinders and then slightly bent the exhaust where it was rubbing on each other and the sound is gone :bike:.
Thanks for pointing out that it sounded lower.

Awesome! Good news...

Back