Whats your weather right now?

18°F, and dropping.
Had a feeling, too good to be true.
Major power outage again.
Packed the truck, shut everything off again, headed out. Only got about a mile, road's too slick, I went sideways down a hill, couldn't make it up the other side. There's already almost a dozen abandoned cars down there, now mine too.

Walked back, got the propane burner going, no electricity. Going into survival mode, rationing.

Signing off...

20210214_140712.jpg

Almost melting. Just a bit more throttle needed to get the chains to grab
:lmao:
Couldn't get in the shop to do XS project work :thumbsdown:
Building is in "alarm status" Crapola
20210214_082702.jpg

Only 1 of my 7 squirrel buds stopped by for pecans...

We've been lucky and relatively unscathed by extreme winter weather...Its been in the mid 30s at night and the highs have been nearly the same temperatures as the lows...Been raining here for the past 3 days continuously. Just gray,brown and drab ..snow would at least make things pretty...Ice here would be a disaster.. So much of the powergrid transmission lines are above ground..couple that with freezing tree limbs and you have a recipe for disaster..Last time that hapened we were without power/heat for 3 days... currently wet and drab..36*

.Ice here would be a disaster.. So much of the powergrid transmission lines are above ground..couple that with freezing tree limbs and you have a recipe for disaster..
EXACTLY..... At least, we don't have pine trees. So far, hanging in. I'm waking up to 13F and snow showers.

I don't mean to brag, but...... Cardiff is currently cloudy, dry and 12 Celsius. In fact so warm, compared to last week, that I went out and replaced a fork seal. Tested out a new technique I saw Alan Millyard use: I adjusted the oil level using an adjustable set square set to the correct oil height:
s-l225.webp

I don't mean to brag, but...... Cardiff is currently cloudy, dry and 12 Celsius. In fact so warm, compared to last week, that I went out and replaced a fork seal. Tested out a new technique I saw Alan Millyard use: I adjusted the oil level using an adjustable set square set to the correct oil height:
s-l225.webp
I've been using a brazing rod with a zip tie wrapped around it for years, same tool I use to check rear axle square to swingarm pivot when adjusting the chain.

Hell it must be cold in the states. Is this exception weather or typical every couple of years. I saw pine trees mentioned above, what's the deal with them in very cold weather. When 2M mentioned about trees breaking is that because of the weight of freezing rain that built up on them or the cold?

The good part about this year's 2 weeks of close to zero weather is it kills off all the nasty insects that migrate to the UK. Wasps really get knocked back and certain mosquitoes get wiped out.

I saw pine trees mentioned above, what's the deal with them in very cold weather.
The pine trees in the South don't tolerated the weight of snow and ice. Add wind and we're done. The whole United States isn't experiencing unusual weather, just a big part of it. It's especially bad in Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. Ice in Houston, Texas is very unusual. Many places affected by severe weather have no snow removal equipment at all. We just wait it out.

Northern Indiana here. Expecting 7-12 inches of white stuff in the next 24 hrs. Going to be fun! I feel for you guys in TX with all the ice. That is not uncommon up here in my part of the world. My previous house was surrounded by mature trees that would put us in the same position as you with downed power lines. Grateful its not an issue at the new homestead. A lot of people in this area have generators permanently wired in to operate the essentials like heat/ac and refrigerators.

Back