Whats your weather right now?

Glorious weather in the Scottish Borders. Past few days all sunny and warm. The locals would say hot, but this is Scotland . . .

Once again sunny and warm today but more breeze and lots of dark clouds. Out and about, I turned for home when I saw one of those ominous clouds up ahead, uhm, having a leak. Feels like it needs a thunderstorm to calm things down.

We're in that part of the year when it never gets truly dark. Even at 1 am when the sun is lowest, there's still a pale glow in the northern half of the sky.

@Raymond - I did a tour of duty in Iceland. I well remember the "midnight sun" in the Summer. Frankly, at least for me, it did very little to offset the 23 Hours of Darkness in the Winter. Plus the most consistently miserable weather I've ever experienced. Blowing a gale and snowing sideways all Winter and blowing a gale and raining sideways most of the Summer.

Rain... It's been cloudy and raining most of the time since Sunday, and it's supposed to continue that way through Saturday, maybe longer.
It's my fault, really. Not only did I buy the Miata, Saturday I went and washed and waxed the damned thing.
<sigh>
Meanwhile, this morning in Saskatoon the City sent it's street-cleaning machines out on our local roads to remove their winter's-worth of debris.
This ritual has been known to summon a massive May snowstorm.
Update:- this year's street-sweeping ritual only managed to summon a thunderstorm and heavy rain to wash the roads clean. My XS650 sidecar rig ain't bothered by dust & gravel on the road but my son rides his desmo Duc like a little old lady until the cleaning crew are done.

Last edited:
"50% possibility of showers" they said.

It was raining so hard at 3:00AM it woke me up. It's still coming down at a good pace. There's a middlin' big lake in the low spot in my upper pasture and a pretty decent sized rapids running down my driveway.

I'd hate like hell to see what they call "rain"!

showers4.jpg

showers4.jpg

showers3.jpg

showers1.jpg

It's been in the mid to high 90's here for days and will continue for a least a few more
Lawns dryer than a popcorn fart but the garden still gets juiced via the well
On the bright side I don't have to mow the grass either

104* tomorrow anf then a 5 day excessive heat warning. 108 - 115 *F. Monsoon season starts on the 15th. We'll see if we have one this year. Only got 4.5" last year. Normally its at least 6" of rain. I hope Lake Mead in Nevada /Arizonza gets some rain too.

Beautiful in the Borders today. But I think I caused somebody's blood pressure to rise today. Completely unintentional, of course.

Went to Sainsbury in Kelso to put some fuel in the Yamaha XS650. Other brands of fuel are available. The filling station was fairly busy, as seems to be normal on a Sunday. Quick scan and there was an available pump, so I went there and had started entering my card details when Mr Angry showed up.

'I can't believe you just jumped the queue like that!' or words to that effect. He pointed to the huge 4X4 at the pump behind me and said he was patiently (!) waiting for the lady to pay when I just came along and 'cut in front of him'.

I said I did not agree with his interpretation of the situation, I had simply gone to an available pump to fill.

The lady came back from paying and drove off in her 4X4, so he drove forward in his dormobile - too bloody close to the XS - to fill at the pump she vacated but he still wanted to go on about it. I could have pointed out that he had waited no longer just because I was filling up at the pump ahead of that, but instead I just suggested he have a nice day. I was genuinely conciliatory. But he was still stating publicly that he couldn't believe I had done that - when I rode off. Miss November, bless her, started first kick.

I've been using filling stations for at least 46 years and I have always believed everybody is free to go to any available pump.

Some people choose to wait for a pump on the easy side rather than pull the hose around. Some people will drive around a car that is being filled to go to the pump ahead. The most efficient use of the filling station is if every pump is being used? And I'm not aware that most customers spend much time ascertaining the intentions of all the other customers before daring to fill their vehicle.

Have I broken the rules of filling station queues?

Beautiful in the Borders today. But I think I caused somebody's blood pressure to rise today. Completely unintentional, of course.

Went to Sainsbury in Kelso to put some fuel in the Yamaha XS650. Other brands of fuel are available. The filling station was fairly busy, as seems to be normal on a Sunday. Quick scan and there was an available pump, so I went there and had started entering my card details when Mr Angry showed up.

'I can't believe you just jumped the queue like that!' or words to that effect. He pointed to the huge 4X4 at the pump behind me and said he was patiently (!) waiting for the lady to pay when I just came along and 'cut in front of him'.

I said I did not agree with his interpretation of the situation, I had simply gone to an available pump to fill.

The lady came back from paying and drove off in her 4X4, so he drove forward in his dormobile - too bloody close to the XS - to fill at the pump she vacated but he still wanted to go on about it. I could have pointed out that he had waited no longer just because I was filling up at the pump ahead of that, but instead I just suggested he have a nice day. I was genuinely conciliatory. But he was still stating publicly that he couldn't believe I had done that - when I rode off. Miss November, bless her, started first kick.

I've been using filling stations for at least 46 years and I have always believed everybody is free to go to any available pump.

Some people choose to wait for a pump on the easy side rather than pull the hose around. Some people will drive around a car that is being filled to go to the pump ahead. The most efficient use of the filling station is if every pump is being used? And I'm not aware that most customers spend much time ascertaining the intentions of all the other customers before daring to fill their vehicle.

Have I broken the rules of filling station queues?
Doesn't sound like it to me. Next bugger tries that, ask him "how can there be a queue when there's an open pump?"

Back