Whats your weather right now?

Well I didn’t know whether to put this here, or the Just Ride thread, but it really wasn’t much of a ride so here she goes! 😉 I took off this morning it was sunny and 58 degrees fahrenheit, on its way to an eventual 74 degrees this afternoon. I was riding to a local spot that’s usually got wildflowers in the spring, if we had enough rain over the winter. Timing is everything, I was here just a few weeks ago and nothing was blooming yet.
61990811-BFF1-4D1E-8171-9A80A5FDCC5A.jpeg2B21FA09-2EF8-4BC2-9B88-5680832FEA70.jpegECEE338F-1F43-45F6-B59F-BDEB82E07E1D.jpegA43142C8-CA53-4368-9536-0D5539D792D7.jpeg8A5A1276-B766-4B3F-9A31-B1CC53696E43.jpeg80229F16-A362-4A3F-81C4-09F04C03FFD0.jpeg6D481DD9-055E-473F-95CD-30D3430308D3.jpegE6B8E05B-848B-4EA2-B295-C472E808AE43.jpeg4EEF3551-D665-4897-956F-64873D689932.jpeg6A7A714C-AF74-485D-9B8C-B8D76BBDF449.jpegEEB1C992-7582-4BF5-BFDC-A5E6D7A61164.jpeg3861B4A4-8232-4D6C-9263-27503A0CDDA2.jpegF2F850D1-2BF5-4161-AB6D-4CCB6B3C1A96.jpeg

Well I was so busy trying to photograph flowers that I missed the chance to take the best photo of the day. I had already put my camera away and I was pulling my gloves back on when I looked up to see a cowboy , straight out of an old West movie had quietly rode up on me. I looked up at him and said hello, he raised his fingers up to the brim of his hat, in a sorta salute and he rode off through the cactus without a word. Crap! It would’ve been an iconic photo! 😄
07F7C54A-8008-4557-B838-54935B352FA2.jpeg

Winter has returned for the moment to the Mid South, but that means something different than it does north of the 35th parallel. It's cool, windy, and dreary. Lots and lots of rain.

We're battening down the hatches here in upstate NY for the "big" winter storm. I drive a school bus for a retirement job and at 4 pm today they announced school is closed tomorrow. It's 33 degrees F here and a little rainy right now. We could get a real snowstorm or we could end up with a big nothing burger. The weather predictions used to be more accurate 30 years ago than they are now. They'll predict a foot of snow, but we get a inch or two. Anything to get people to panic and stay tuned to the weather reports online for more clicks.

Earlier this week Winter paid a late visit but now it's milder. And there has been a lot of rain over the past couple of days, hopefully washed much of the salt away? Anyhoo, today was one of those rare days when all three bikes made an appearance on the roads.

Went shopping in Gala on the W800 - uneventful of course, a great bike.

Later took the Royal Enfield for a couple of short local runs - third day in succession it's been oot and it's running very nicely.

And this afternoon, couldn't put it off, started the XS and took out for first run since last year.

TBH, Miss November not very happy. I put it down to gummy fuel but at small throttle openings did not feel great. Then, as I followed two cars down the hill through a little village called Midlem, they slowed and slowed and I'm cussin' and saying 'Ferchrissakes, let's at least keep moving.' But leading car stopped completely before turning off into a cottage driveway. Car ahead of me zooms away. And Miss November done just gave up. Stalled. Didn't even bother to press the button coz I know the electric starter doesn't. Tried a kicking a few times, which ain't easy pointing down a hill. Nope. So it had to be 'Fekkit!' second gear, let her gather pace, clutch out. Started. Reluctant, but started.

And of course, use every opportunity to lift the slides a bit and pull some fuel through. Amazing how slow Sunday drivers are on those wee country roads. Especially when you want to clear the carbs? Bit of throttle, a few revs, a few slightly rude overtakes and by the time we were home I think the bike was running better.

If not, I know what to do - carbs off and clean them again. Must take a look at that starter sometime . . .

But all in all, a good day. Winter, please don't come back again just yet.

Pissing down.

In Britain, we mostly put milk in out tea. For builders, that's tea with milk, often two spoonfuls of sugar, and leave the tea bag in the cup until the concoction has reached a rich red-brown colour.

I only explain this because the burn I walk beside on the way down to the river was in spate and the colour of builders' tea this morning. Carrying away some of the red volcanic soil from the Eildon Hills down to the River Tweed. Which of course is also well up from yesterday.

Might not go out on two wheels today.

We live north of the path. Rolling Fork is less than 3 hours drive. Amory is two hours. I'm close to Memphis.

I was wondering how you fared as I was reading the morning news. Terrible damage and loss of life.
I‘m glad you and your family are alright.

Edit: That drone footage was incredible! 😳

Last edited:
OMG, those tornados, can only offer my sympathy for those affected by these terrible weather events. Would be interested to know if the frequency and ferocity of tornados and storms is getting worse in recent years?
I saw something on that just recently and it requires some digging. Maybe a lot of digging. I came up with "no". But, I try to be skeptical of everything. YMMV. There are voices that state otherwise. I'm leaving it there. As for me, I know I live in tornado alley, and it is a matter of concern. The only tornado I ever saw live with my own two eyes was in Memphis 1978. We had tornadoes in Western New York where I grew up and in North Georgia where I lived for 31 years. IMHO, what we get in the Mississippi valley is far worse than what I experienced elsewhere.

Back