Whats your weather right now?

Same as Lakeview without the robins. Looks like we’re going to get some snow tonight though. May need to fire the snowblower up for the first time this season.

Same scene, different truck.
DSCN0545.JPG

What's all this with snow blowers? I don't know anybody who has one. Nobody uses one in Scotland, where it does occasionally snow.

But in the US, seems like people are all OMG, it's gonna snow, I better get the snowblower ready.

How long do you expect the snow to last? It will all be gone before you can say 'let's wake the neighbours up early this morning.'

What's all this with snow blowers? I don't know anybody who has one. Nobody uses one in Scotland, where it does occasionally snow.

But in the US, seems like people are all OMG, it's gonna snow, I better get the snowblower ready.

How long do you expect the snow to last? It will all be gone before you can say 'let's wake the neighbours up early this morning.'
Here in Mississippi I stay in the house until it melts. That usually means tomorrow.

Snowing all day. The temp has barely been above freezing so I am staying put. Got some pork belly on the smoker and a pretty decent porter in my glass. Life is good.

Wish it was that simple. We will expect 1 - 2 feet of snow that stays for a month or more. We have had 3 feet (1 meter) or more on the ground from early December till March. I get you skepticism but the three or four inches you don't clear hoping for a melt becomes the base of 2 or 3 feet that you now can't clear. It is a Catch 22, Joseph Heller.

Last edited:
Glorious sunny day in Cardiff; although very cold with a hard frost this morning.

Like Team Wicked says if you just leave the 3 to 4 inches on driveway and drive over it then get another 3-4 inches and drive over that pretty soon you have the formation of a Glacier that will not melt till the end of April!

Besides I can only hope I'm disturbing the neighbors these days, but that is an all together different subject!

I understand your point of view. But... there is always a but. City ordinances require you clear your portion of the sidewalk in front of your home. If after a few warnings you fail, they will send a crew to do it and charge you. This is rare but does happen. The postman may decide not to walk up your icy walkway to deliver your mail. When mum was alive she would visit often. Can't have icy steps for her. Now daughter carries a newborn and diaper bag from car to house everyday. But (another but?) the most important is parcel delivery folks don't have to traverse an icy driveway to deliver new bits for the XS650. :)

Got a "River Run" Wednesday.
3 degrees F. We went 5 winding miles downstream from the farm before logjam stopped us. Only 1/2 mile upstream for the same fate. There wasn'ttoo much open water. We may attempt clearing some today with chainsaws.
20220127_134106.jpg

23 F this morning in the sunny South. What's the over/under on how many times my wife says, "It's cold, Brrrrrrr" ?

Starting to get light slightly earlier, so on my daily walk I see more. This morning, clear and bright with only a light frost. Lucky enough to see an otter in the River Tweed, at the same spot yesterday and again today.

Back