XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Before I go any further does this look correct?:umm:
DSCN0505-001.JPG
DSCN0506-001.JPG

Yes. 19" rim. Ray Charles must have drilled those holes.:shrug:
Yeah the hole angle is the bane of aftermarket rim purchases.
Had the same issue with the GT750 front drum wheel build, had to rework the holes, still not perfectly happy..............
gt750 front wheel done.jpg

You can see the spokes have a bit of curve in this pic.
The rim maker has no idea of what the hub diameter is going to be.
The italian rim shop I use tends to say pre 1972 motorcycles, IE drum hubs. but doesn't detail a hub spoke circle diameter, then distance between the two sides of the hub spoke circles factors in also.

can of worms.jpg

Last edited:
Each spoke crosses two on the way to the rim, then 3 rim holes open, next spoke, valve core between groups.....looks right.

Hole angles are off; is there another position that gets it closer (flip insides for outsides)?

Some folks just get the rims punched by Buchanan's; then if the holes aren't right ya can pretty much know that you f'd up somewhere:redface:

I don’t know first hand about lacing a wheel but always threatened to try it one day. The spoke hole angle does look odd but if the spokes are the correct length I assume there’s not an option to improve the angle of entry.

Yes, it looks like those spoke holes are going to need some "work". When you tighten them down, I think you're going to get lots of bowed spokes.

Like a bolt; it's not the hole, it's how the nipple head seats in the rim that really makes the wheel.
OK this is crude but allows "adjusting" the hole and recutting the seat to better match the new hole center.

1673617680740.jpeg

It's tricky, the rim doesn't have a lot of extra thickness to work with.
I really need to get a tool post grinder set up on the lathe.
:twocents: I've done this to 4-5? wheels and they have worked fine over lots of street miles, would not suggest it for dirt, or racing use. :shrug:
1673616884745.png

Last edited:
Is that an XS wheel or something that was drilled for something with a larger diameter hub? It would probably work great laced to a rear drum

I bought new rims and spokes from Mike's and took them, with my hubs to Woody's Wheel Works in Denver for lacing and truing. He's been in business since 1976. He called the next day and said the holes were drilled wrong and he wanted $1/hole to re-drill. He told me this happens all the time with after market rims. I even called Mike's and told him and they gave me $36 credit on my next order. :thumbsup:

I spent the entire afternoon re drilling the spoke holes and truing the wheel. the spoke nipples fit in the pockets better and the spokes fit a lot better and none are bowed after the final tightening.:thumbsup: Next is the 18" laced to a front hub. I don`t have much hope that these will lace up without any modifications. I always say, if you cant remanufacture what you just bought why buy it in the first place.:shootme:
DSCN0511-001.JPG
DSCN0509-001.JPG

Looks good!

Question - in your first pic were those spokes tightened down? I just assumed they were just kinda hand tight/still had play in em and that why they looked off in the rim.

I spent the entire afternoon re drilling the spoke holes and truing the wheel. the spoke nipples fit in the pockets better and the spokes fit a lot better and none are bowed after the final tightening.:thumbsup: Next is the 18" laced to a front hub. I don`t have much hope that these will lace up without any modifications. I always say, if you cant remanufacture what you just bought why buy it in the first place.:shootme:
View attachment 233744View attachment 233745
I've never laced a wheel. I want to relace my Heritage wheels and I considered aftermarket rims. I believe I'll derust the chrome ones and relace those. Can I source stainless steel replacement spokes from the MkesXS or XS650 Direct? Or will those also prove problematic.

Back