Wheel size advise for a newbie please

Davids

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, wonder if anyone can help.
The XS tracker build was put on hold for many years for many reasons but now up and running, again.
I purchased many years ago a pair of alloy spoked rims from fleabay, which the seller said were XS rims.
I have measured them in readiness to get spokes etc and find they are 19 3/16" x 2 7/8" and 20 1/8" x 2 5/8" The measurement I have taken from the edge of the rim, I assume that is correct?
Problem is I cant find any reference to these sizes being XS ones.
I don't mind if they work on the bike.
I have a twin disc hub for the front and a Mk1 ( 70-73) drum ready for the rear.
If anyone knows if these were XS I would be grateful, as I'm also trying to find the rear offset if any when the rear is laced.
Many thanks in advance.

David
UK

There were quite a few different sized wheels used on the XS, dependant on year. I'm sure someone here will know. I have a 74 which was fitted with 18 and 19" spoked wheels, although it came with 16 and 19 alloys.
Offset, you spoke the rim so it sits in the middle of the swingarm, there's not a lot of room either side so if you're not centring it, it'll either run against the chain or the swingarm.
If you don't have the spacers for either side, centring the hub is simple: run a straight edge back from the front sprocket.

There were quite a few different sized wheels used on the XS, dependant on year. I'm sure someone here will know. I have a 74 which was fitted with 18 and 19" spoked wheels, although it came with 16 and 19 alloys.
Offset, you spoke the rim so it sits in the middle of the swingarm, there's not a lot of room either side so if you're not centring it, it'll either run against the chain or the swingarm.
If you don't have the spacers for either side, centring the hub is simple: run a straight edge back from the front sprocket.
Thanks, but the bike is in bits still, frame painted and that's it, wanted to send the wheels of to be built in advance, thus the reason for any info on off sets, so I could let the wheel builders know.

Hi, wonder if anyone can help.
The XS tracker build was put on hold for many years for many reasons but now up and running, again.
I purchased many years ago a pair of alloy spoked rims from fleabay, which the seller said were XS rims.
I have measured them in readiness to get spokes etc and find they are 19 3/16" x 2 7/8" and 20 1/8" x 2 5/8" The measurement I have taken from the edge of the rim, I assume that is correct?
Problem is I cant find any reference to these sizes being XS ones.
I don't mind if they work on the bike.
I have a twin disc hub for the front and a Mk1 ( 70-73) drum ready for the rear.
If anyone knows if these were XS I would be grateful, as I'm also trying to find the rear offset if any when the rear is laced.
Many thanks in advance.

David
UK
Sounds like you have one 18" rim and one 19". That would normally be 18" for rear wheel and. 19" front.
The rim diameter is measured inside the flange, where the tyre bead sits.

The rim width is also inside the flanges, if they're Aluminum rims they will be stamped near the stem hole, should read something like Takesago 1.85 x 19 for the front and 2.15 x 18 for the rear if these are stock XS wheels

Sounds like you have one 18" rim and one 19". That would normally be 18" for rear wheel and. 19" front.
The rim diameter is measured inside the flange, where the tyre bead sits.
Many thanks for that info, that's helped me. Many thanks

The rim width is also inside the flanges, if they're Aluminum rims they will be stamped near the stem hole, should read something like Takesago 1.85 x 19 for the front and 2.15 x 18 for the rear if these are stock XS wheels
Thanks again for the info. I did look for some I'd but couldn't see any, I will have another look in the location you have mentioned, cheers

Welcome to the madness that is XS650. Most of us are really dumb and poor readers but when we see pictures with a discription we get the idea. Post pics often, particularly with questions. Again, welcome. Cheers.

Yes, it sounds like you have original alloy 650 rims. I just measured a set the way you did (outside edge to edge) and they match yours. The size will be stamped next to the valve stem hole, as mentioned .....

RimLabel.jpg

RimLabel2.jpg

But also as mentioned, if the rim is crusty and dirty, it may be hard to see the stampings .....

RimLabel3.jpg

Many thanks, at least it looks like they are correct then. The rims have already been finished satin black so the stamping may be difficult to see but your pics help. Many thanks

As far as the offset goes, the 650 rims are centered over the spoke flanges. On the front, that's about centered on the hub but on the rear it's not. But an easy way to set the rear with a flanged alloy rim is to simply lay a straight edge across the the brake drum. There should be no offset, the straight edge should just touch the outer edge of the rim. Pictured below is a TX750 hub. It does have a slight offset, about 4mm, but the techique of using the straight edge laid across the brake drum is the same .....

Rim Offset.JPG

RimOffset2.jpg

Back