wheel whine

Tiesco

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Getting ready to address an issue that started before I put the bike away last summer and went to college. I changed the front tire last year and since then the front wheel has been whining. I held down the wheel by bolting it to a table through the axle hole because the old tire was putting up quite a fight. Im sure it wasn't the best way to do it. Maybe that method is what caused this problem? Any help trouble shooting this would be appreciated!

Hello everyone. Getting ready to address an issue that started before I put the bike away last summer and went to college. I changed the front tire last year and since then the front wheel has been whining. I held down the wheel by bolting it to a table through the axle hole because the old tire was putting up quite a fight. Im sure it wasn't the best way to do it. Maybe that method is what caused this problem? Any help trouble shooting this would be appreciated!
Is wheel moving Freely? As in its not the rubber rubbing on the inside fender or any other piece?

When you changed the tire you may have misaligned something.
Go through it methodically
Remove the wheel again.
Check tire is correctly seated
Check bearings run freely with no tightness or free play.
Refit the wheel, check it’s properly located
Check disc pad condition and that they are correctly seated.
Cooper slip on back of pads reduces squealing.
Tighten wheel nuts to specification
Visual check for anything rubbing.
If noise continues use a listening device to locate its source
A mechanic stethoscope or screwdriver held to suspect area and ear can help.

Before you do all that aforementioned work, how about taking an on-the-road video so we can hear the whine.
Maybe the noise is coming from something else, like one of the gauges.

Before you do all that aforementioned work, how about taking an on-the-road video so we can hear the whine.
Maybe the noise is coming from something else, like one of the gauges.

I suppose I could try. Not exactly a fan of that. All I know is it started after I changed the tire. I should probably check to see if the speedo cable is seated correctly

Back