When bike leans to the side with choke off it stalls

Noidea

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Welp here we are again. I thought i was in the clear had everything set but there one final problem im trying to chase down I don't understand what it could be. I have a 73TX650 all stock parts. (minus a mufffler on the right side because my buddy is welding the baffle on the inside) When I kick the bike over with the choke on its idles just fine. I stand it up vertically than and turn the choke off. A slight stumble which I believe would be normal cause of the difference in air fuel ratio. Than it idles good. The problem is when I put it on the stand or lean the bike over it turns off. Now I figured it would be a float problem I adjusted them to every different size I could within the spec of + or - 2.5mm of 25mm. and i would have the same problem. I than dipped the floats in to real hot water to see if i have holes and In the and waalaa i did i had a minor hole in one of the floats. So i bought 2 new floats set them at 25mm and (drum roll please) same fuckin problem. Im not sure what the issue is I'e cleaned the carbs out with compresssed air and carb cleaner the orifice are clean. Please help anyway you could its so close probably something stupid.

Check the rubber seal on the bottom of the choke plunger? Have the float valves been replaced?
When it quits, pull the plugs, report what you see.

I bought a rebuild kit for the gaskets but I used the new float assembly that was given to me as well. The spark plugs read rich not wet justblack with carbon. What are the rubber seals under the choke plunger? I didn't notice them.

As 5 twins has mentioned floats are often twisted check both sides for height, bend if needed till they match. Seal is at bottom of choke plunger, follow the Choke linkage til you find it. 75 only has one choke check that the choke crossover tube is connected and good.

Last edited:
It's a short tube just behind and level with the throttle shafts.

unlinked BS38s.JPG

txcarbs-jpg.48140

well i ran into some strange finds will trying to fix this situation. So i changed the float from 25mm to 26 runs ok. To my realization when I turn the petcock to the on postion and run the bike than put it on the stand it dies out. BUT if i turn the bike on after Ive primed the carbs. I turn the petcock the the off position and I can lean it to the side no problem and it will idle just fine. I also rode it around town and it rode alright. when i came back the breather tube was shooting out some oil on the left side. The spark plugs were still black with carbon and a little wet with oil. My question is what would cause the oil on the spark plugs?( i understand too much oil would cause it too come out of the breather.) . Also is that how the petcocks supposed to work? If not this is almost likely an indication that the floats or the floats valves are faulty correct? i also bought clear fuel line to see if the choke crossover tube is working properly and no fuel goes through just air correct? to lean out the mixture? if thats so its working correctly.

I wonder if your petcock has got a blockage. They are simple device but can cause a fair bit of difficulty.

Last edited:
haha it smells a little like gas yes. and the petcock is clear I took them apart put new gaskets cause there was a minor leak on the right one that caused a puddle of gas overnight in my garage. Those fumes got quite the kick to them!

I my experience the ONLY valve (the big rubber disk with 4 holes) that works is the genuine Yamaha, none of the aftermarket gaskets I've tried will stop the gas. Have you read through the petcock overhaul guide?
But unless you have a leaking vacuum diaphragm the float valve has to participate in letting the gas through.
Any rust in the tank? When you drain the float bowls into a clean container what do you see?

Last edited:
nope i havent seen that but ill read through it now I was looking for some type of guide like that thanks:). I also replaced those diaphragms a couple months back with those jdm ones. No rust in the tank, when I drain it the gas comes out clear just gas.

NoI didnt even think to do that. They're still in the place the way I put them in but ill do it when i go into my carbs for the 4th time today. I put the floats back to 25mm to see if that would help with the oil from the breather tube. It did, but i still have the problem with the bike dying when I leave it on the stand choke off and petcock on. I rode around the block then it would not idle in neutral had to roll it back home. Spark plugs are still rich. on 2nd thought ill prob give it a break for today clear my head hit it tommorow. Ill put the floats at 25.5 see how that works.

Am i just chasing my tail doing all this? Is there something Im missing? That quote from Einstein comes to my head Insantity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. I feel like Im falling into this category taking them out measuring float height. Putting them back. Should the float increment of 1mm from stock make such a difference? I know all the orifices are clear i blow them out with compressed air. What Else what else! I thought when I found out the petcock situation that would lead me a step closer but it only made things more confusing. I guess my username was the proper way to go.

Sorry i added something else to look at.........lol........

Sometimes it gets that way, chasing your tail............. Maybe stop and have a beer or whatever and have a think for a while, restart as if you haven't done anything, and try not to have a preconceived idea that you have already done that and it doesn't work.....................

HAhaha all good Im already a step ahead of you.:cheers:
@TwoManyXS1Bs ill get to that 2mm. One thing I noticed that happens intermintenly is when i would turn off petcocks the idle would slowly go up and rev high i would adjust the idle screw and than be out of gas in the bowl. I would turn the fuel on and it would fire up back to normal condition. I'll also probably take the left side muffler off since the other side is mufflerless till i get that one back.

Back