When did fuel injection become common on motorcycles?

Some people should not be allowed to own strippers or crimpers, nor should they be allowed to buy wire or terminals. Just sayin'...

Best bit so far: Hot wire stripped back and jammed under a 10 amp mini spade fuse. Not even twisted. Eleventeen non-heat shrink butt connectors. Wires routed however is fastest with no thought given to neatness or proximity of sharp edges. One mystery wire cut off with bare ends flopping around in the battery compartment, other end to an unused connector.

Sigh.

Some people should not be allowed to own strippers or crimpers, nor should they be allowed to buy wire or terminals. Just sayin'...

Best bit so far: Hot wire stripped back and jammed under a 10 amp mini spade fuse. Not even twisted. Eleventeen non-heat shrink butt connectors. Wires routed however is fastest with no thought given to neatness or proximity of sharp edges. One mystery wire cut off with bare ends flopping around in the battery compartment, other end to an unused connector.

Sigh.

Just as well he has Grandad on the job..............would have to take out a loan to pay someone to fix the bike to save money on fuel;)

Well, that went better than expected...

Changed the front tire on Fatass today. Waited on grandson/owner to show up as horsing it up on my jury-rigged lift is definitely NOT a one-man job. Got it precariously perched on the lift and got the front wheel off the ground.

The axle was tightened to approximately 18,000,000 foot-tons. Popping it loose took a 1/2 inch ratchet (too lazy to walk down to the new shop and get my breaker bar...) and a 3 foot piece of pipe. And yes, I loosened the pinch bolts first...

Wheel dropped right out, rotor and pads look good, tire was bonded REAL well to the rim. Wedged my hydraulic bumper jack between the tire as close as I dared to the rim and bottom of my work bench and pried the bead loose. Spooning the tire off was about as much of a pain in the ass as usual. Quite a bit of aluminum oxide corrosion/powder but no pitting. Put Boy-san to work with a Scotchbrite while I prepped the new tire. Popped a new valve stem in while we had things apart.

After lubing the rim and the bead with generous amounts of Dawn, new tire popped right on. Dubbed around a bit getting things balanced as much as possible by spinning the tire around on the rim until things looked acceptable.

Lugged the mounted tire and rim down to the shop where the big compressor is. Really expected to spend considerable time and verbal lubrication to get the bead seated but it started taking air immediately. Got 25 or so pounds in it and then dribbled it off the floor a few times, rotating between bounces to help work the bead up onto the shoulder.

Then just started putting air to it. Grandson created some extra laundry for his fiancee' when the bead finally popped into place :D :poke:

Checked the pressure when it popped, figuring it'd be way over, but it was right at 40PSI, which is within a pound of the recommended max.

There's some ugly hardware needs to be replaced, and I need to wire a fuse into the radio harness, but as soon as he gets it registered we'll go get it inspected and he's ready to go.

Chapter II in the ongoing saga of the V Star...

Jarod has been riding it to work regularly and really likes it (particularly when it's time to hit the gas station...). We did buy some baffles for the drag pipes which makes them slightly less obnoxious and now he wants the radio in the fairing to work. It did work when we bought the bike, but it quit.

So today we popped the front shell off the fairing to have a look at the wiring. I just thought the previous wiring was a fustercluck. I about crapped when I saw the mess behind the fairing. Apparently the guy didn't own a piece of wire over 6 inches long, but had a 5 gallon bucket full of butt splices.

After making some notes about what went where from the 12 pin connector on the radio, I chopped out about 10 feet (that may be conservative...) of mismatched wire and butt splices and rewired the whole thing from scratch. Fortunately I have an extensive stash of reclaimed wire and was able to match the color code in most cases, and I have a pretty good assortment of connectors from other bikes I've cleaned up the wiring on.

Got everything working, neatened up, cable-tied in place and now all he has to do is figure out how to get his phone to pair to the radio. He's on his own there, I don't speak Bluetooth...

fairing.jpg

fairing2.jpg

That's funny, JP, the same thought crossed my mind. The SOB that invented those should be shot, drawn and quartered, hung and excommunicated.

I've probably cut a thousand of those wretched things out of trailer wiring in my lifetime.

Back