When does a bike with low compression become a parts bike

Absolutely. Even a diamond in the rough is still a diamond. If you have matching numbers and papers, it's far from a parts bike.
120ish isn't great, but it ain't bad either.
If it sat forever before you picked it up Mikey, there's a better than even chance it'll improve after a few hundred miles.
Yeah I'll just keep plugging along on rainy days I've had it by running; it's just that left cylinder that's giving me a little grief
I now have the knowledge most of it printed out
It'll happen

Pull plugs spray in a good amount of rust buster, kick it through several times, let it sit a day or three. Then go run the whee out of it. As Luigi sez; give'r an Italian tune up.
Compression testing yes open the butterflies, The slides have a large enough gap even when closed that it doesn't matter.
I did a long ABC test on various carb setting on an an XS only diff was butterflies nothing else mattered. I can get a bit higher number kicking than electric. Helps to leave the "other" spark plug out gives you a faster turn.

Last edited:
With my Harbor Freight compression tester, if I use the steel tube with the rubber plug on the end, it gives about 10% higher readings than if I use the rubber hose. I have always assumed the steel tube was correct and add 10% when I need to use the hose. Did the tester you used come with both and what did you use.

With my Harbor Freight compression tester, if I use the steel tube with the rubber plug on the end, it gives about 10% higher readings than if I use the rubber hose. I have always assumed the steel tube was correct and add 10% when I need to use the hose. Did the tester you used come with both and what did you use.
The tester I used you screwed the adapter into the spark plug hole

You would think that the pressure would blead down but I wouldn't know much about it
And yes this motorcycle for sure doesn't need me more and the good honest truth from someone is always welcome
And even running I would have to tell the next person about the low compression issue
Parts bike it is
forget about a bleed down test its not a race engine. secondly your valves arnt causing low compression .'why is that so" because when you put oil in the bore the compression came up . oil will not seal a burnt or open or leaking valve.. your cheapest option is a quick hone and a re ring put it back together..

You can always remove the plug from the non-lifted cylinder and remove the inspection cover with the lifting mechanism in it to able to use the electric starter to turn over the bike to comp test the side with the lifter.
Too bad you're not closer or I'd make you an offer on the motor as a spare for my 73, or perhaps it's good that you're not closer :laugh2:

Back