Where to start?

enoble1691

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I got my first bike for the right price. 1982 XS650S -Heritage Special. She is rough to say the least.

Here is what I do know:
  • Engine Free
  • new battery
  • gas tank clean

The starter motor does not engage when I push the button(battery is good). Waiting on a kick start to come in.

Where should I start??? Getting it running is all I want for now.

Thanks!

Remove the two very large drain plugs, drain all the oil, and then remove the sump cover that the front drain plug was screwed into, 6 bolts (10 mm wrench).

Check the filter to see what you might have.

A light oil down each spark plug hole and a few kicks to lube the rings a little.

Drain the carbs and or remove bowls and see what lives inside.

Charge battery.

Check all fuses.

If things are looking okay, replace sump and drain plugs and fill with 2 liters of 20-50 oil.

Get some fresh gas and cross your fingers.

Good luck.

#1 is the side stand up? an 82 will not start with the side stand down.

|That wasn't it? remove RH side cover solenoid will be in plain view. With the key on take a jumper from ground to the blue white connection. Does it crank? If it dos the problem is somewhere in the blue wire, starter push button, ground from button to handlebar to frame .
If the solenoid clicks but no crank then problem could be ground strap ground to engine lead from battery to solenoid to starter or rarely the starter itself. If nothing happens when you ground the blue, check if the red white wire is hot |(+12). Check all fuses and fuse box, often the fuse holders crumble from age. Grab a big ole screw driver and short the two big terminals on the solenoid do this like you mean it. does it crank now?

Do not crank the bike with the plugs disconnected. they need to be on the wires and grounded a loop of bare wire around the plug bases and touching the frame is a good enough plug ground. Does it have spark? What do the plugs look like? oil, wet with gas, sooty, dry, like new? Squirt a bit of oil in the plug holes.

Hi enoble and welcome,
that's all good advice as far as getting the engine running and it's most likely some simple thing that needs to be tweaked.
But FIRST,
BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE
MAKE SURE THE BRAKES WORK.
The only thing worse than a bike that don't run is one that don't stop.

Thanks guys! I will be working through the system tomorrow. I just want to get it sorted out and running before I sink money into brakes and tires.

Ok. I got the starter to engage. Now to figure out if it is fuel or spark Im missing.

:eek: !Forum rules violation! :eek:

We throw ideas at you, you go out and find the problem. In return you HAVE to tell us what the problem was. (We get to see who figured out the trouble from scant clues provided) It's a forum thing.

Pull the dipstick. how much "oil" is in the engine? Smell it does it smell like gasoline? If the oil smells like gas do NOT attempt to start the engine until you have dumped and refilled with fresh oil. It is good practice to crank the engine several times with the plugs out to circulate oil to all surfaces before trying to start it. I like to open the tappet covers and hit the valve stems with rust buster and then oil. One valve is always open on an XS that valve stem can rust causing the valve to stick open, boom bent valve.

XS650J XS650K starter circuit diagrams and operation.

xs650j starter 001.JPG xs650j starter 002.JPG

xs650j starter 003.JPG

Starter won't start relay sidestand circuit diagram wiring trouble shoot side stand trace tracing button switch safety neutral gear heritage special 1982 1983 SJ SK xs650sj xs650sk turn fire die kill problem crank spin

Ok. So oil is all changed. With plugs grounded and Battery charged correctly. I still have no spark. Anyone point me in the direction of the best procedure to start working through the ignition system. All stock currently.

Back