Where to use gasket sealant?

burton1234

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am rebuilding my top end at the moment using a gasket kit from YamBits. Should I be using some sort of gasket sealant on the grey paper type gaskets? I have used a sealant between the cylinder head and cylinder barrels but I didn't between the cylinder barrels and bottom end.

I was just about to button things up and put the right side cover when this thought came to my mind!

Photo of the gasket type in question

IMG_9132.jpg

Opinions vary, but I don't use sealer anywhere on an XS - except Yamabond on rocker cover & center cases. Especially so on the R side case; as that eventually has to come back apart for clutch maintenance.

I spray the head and base gaskets with that copper coat spray. Other than that, I use very little gasket sealer on the gaskets. The two exceptions are one side (outside) of the alternator cover gasket and one side (again, outside) of the intake manifold gaskets. In both cases, this is more so the gasket comes off with the part when it is removed, not so much for sealing purposes. I don't coat the whole side, just run a small bead around it. Most of the paper gaskets I just oil with motor oil. This makes them cling to the surface which aids in the install but more importantly, lets them come off without sticking.

Back