which handle bars do I have

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
After riding the 77 (Surprise ) I thought I might want to get different handle bars for it
The one on there now, for me puts my knees into like a jockeys position on a horse (knees to far back)
The one I have on my 75 have always seemed just right even after riding for a long time
Are the ones on the 77 Ero bars and the ones on my 75 Standard ?
Edit : I think I better ad some photos for comparisons sake

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_083057463.jpg
    IMG_20220724_083057463.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20220724_083111384.jpg
    IMG_20220724_083111384.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20220724_083123156.jpg
    IMG_20220724_083123156.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20220724_083137479.jpg
    IMG_20220724_083137479.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I played around with handlebars a lot too. First I thought a set of taller bars with more pull back was the answer,
1347A150-5B7E-4F29-A881-E31C8081EFD5.jpeg

And they were a lot of fun riding short distances and around town, but on longer rides at higher speeds they killed my back.

So then I went the other way and put a set of low, flat superbike bars on it. They really made the bike feel sporty, but it really did kind of put you in a racer crouch. It was surprisingly comfortable for a long ways, but eventually my back would get sore. Really the problems lie in my creaky back more than any handlebars. 😄
81ECBE6D-B9A7-4EF4-A5F5-C6BF75246EC2.jpeg

Thkse handlebars on your ‘75 look like they drop down at the ends, do they also have more pullback than the ‘77 bars? ( which are the factory bars btw )

I played around with handlebars a lot too. First I thought a set of taller bars with more pull back was the answer,
View attachment 219812

And they were a lot of fun riding short distances and around town, but on longer rides at higher speeds they killed my back.

So then I went the other way and put a set of low, flat superbike bars on it. They really made the bike feel sporty, but it really did kind of put you in a racer crouch. It was surprisingly comfortable for a long ways, but eventually my back would get sore. Really the problems lie in my creaky back more than any handlebars. 😄
View attachment 219813

Thkse handlebars on your ‘75 look like they drop down at the ends, do they also have more pullback than the ‘77 bars? ( which are the factory bars btw )
Yeah they pull back a little further
The superbike bars are just a little too low and I need to have the bars come back a little
after riding the 75 for a ton of 2 lane road miles the stock bars seem to be what I want and I think there's enough brake line to be able to do it
And hopefully the windshield will be tall enough although it's seems it's not tall enough already as the bugs are hitting just at the top of my face shield now
" Really the problems lie in my creaky back more than any handlebars " that'd be me too
Time to hit the wanted ads to see whats out there

View attachment 219812

View attachment 219813

So your saying the bars on the 77 now are stock?

Last edited:
The bars on your 75 look stock. They ran the wiring harness internally and had solid plugs in the bar ends. Something to consider is a set of cb750 bars. I happen to have a set that I already ran wiring internally if interested. They are a little taller and a little pullback. Here a few pics when I had them installed. I just decided on something a tad lower though.
B136685A-C495-4D19-AA83-FF5FA2FB5944.jpeg048F53D5-B0D6-4834-936B-0640FAF612E9.jpeg

Mikey, looks like the bars on the '75 are stock Standard just turned down a wee bit. I keep my handlebar rise in line with the fork angle.....dunno how to explain it any better.
I've tried the Euros and went back to the Standards, I like the weighted ends, kinda reluctant to try any others in my attempts to second guess the engineers.

Yes, that's an old dirt bike thing - the rise of your bars should line up with the angle of your forks. That way, any downward pressure you exert into them, like when you brake heavily and are forced forward, will transmit directly into the forks. Have the bars rolled forward or back and that downward force will be directed in the same way, not directly down into the forks.

the rise of your bars should line up with the angle of your forks
YES ! It's one of the first things I look at on other folk's bikes. I also notice lever angle/placement. Sit on the bike with your hands on the bars and open your hands. That's where the lever should be with out rotating your hand or wrist. Look at pictures of the Dennis Hopper Billy Bike - all wrong.

Yeah I hear you on the 75 I assumed they were stock too it seems like others do too
It's just the right bar for me if I can find a stock one

These risers from a Virago move bars back ~1" and up ~1/2". The angle of my bars translate my braking pressure about center of the fork tube circumference. I have 77 bars for the shipping. Or pick up, or hand off friend to friend. My son in Mankado can come home with them after Tennessee.

Attachments

• 16586952539481160816171948044960.jpg
    16586952539481160816171948044960.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 70
Those bars on your '75 aren't stock, they're some sort of aftermarket high rise with more pullback. Not as bad as the stock Special bars, but not my cup of tea.

About the best thing that can be said about an aftermarket part or add-on is that it blends into the bike so well you don't even notice it's there. That's how the Euro bars are for me, such a natural fit I don't even notice them or give them a second thought. My Koni rear shocks are the same way.

These risers from a Virago move bars back ~1" and up ~1/2". The angle of my bars translate my braking pressure about center of the fork tube circumference. I have 77 bars for the shipping. Or pick up, or hand off friend to friend. My son in Mankado can come home with them after Tennessee.
PM sent

Those bars on your '75 aren't stock, they're some sort of aftermarket high rise with more pullback. Not as bad as the stock Special bars, but not my cup of tea.

About the best thing that can be said about an aftermarket part or add-on is that it blends into the bike so well you don't even notice it's there. That's how the Euro bars are for me, such a natural fit I don't even notice them or give them a second thought. My Koni rear shocks are the same way.
What do the Euro bars look like
I'm keeping all options open right now

Here they are on my Standard .....

Euro Bars.jpg

..... and on my Special .....

$200SpecialClean.jpg

$200SpecialClean4.jpg

The way the ends droop down slightly turn your wrists at a very natural and comfortable angle. Many years ago, I tried the Superbike bars like Mailman had but because of the way they stick straight out on the ends, they were uncomfortable after some time in the saddle. I discovered the Euro bar bend when fitting lower bars to my old BMWs, and they were a revelation. Most comfortable bar bend on the planet in my opinion.

Here they are on my Standard .....

View attachment 219939

..... and on my Special .....

View attachment 219940

View attachment 219942

The way the ends droop down slightly turn your wrists at a very natural and comfortable angle. Many years ago, I tried the Superbike bars like Mailman had but because of the way they stick straight out on the ends, they were uncomfortable after some time in the saddle. I discovered the Euro bar bend when fitting lower bars to my old BMWs, and they were a revelation. Most comfortable bar bend on the planet in my opinion.
Good to know
Thanks !!

Back