Who wants to play "guess that sound"

Mitch81special

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this is my first xs650 and I have just finished a top end job, bored out to 1st oversize. I originally pulled the motor becuse of a loud ticking noise I thought might be the cam chain guide. Sure enough the black plastic part of the guide had completely separated and I thought that must have been it. Well I took it out today for its first run after being rebuilt and damn it I still have that ticking. Maybe this is just normal valve noise for these engines?
Maybe someone with a more experienced ear can have a listen and give me some ideas.

No No not normal
Is it one side ?
Since a top job has been done please tell what has been replaced and inspected and adjusted
A steel bar or screwdriver held against the engine at various points and the ear can localize it better

Piston pin replaced ?
Cam shaft looked normal ??
Checked play in Con rod upper hole ? with piston pin or else. ?
Valves taken out off Cylinder head checking running as they should ?
Any pulling in con rod for a feel of big hole play ? or better ?

Did you have the ticking right when you started it up?? If not - I’d fun through cam chain, valves and timing again.

I’ve had cam chains stretch to the point they need to be readjusted after the first 10-20 miles and valves open up too.

Did you have the ticking right when you started it up?? If not - I’d fun through cam chain, valves and timing again.

I’ve had cam chains stretch to the point they need to be readjusted after the first 10-20 miles and valves open up too.
yes new chains are packed in grease they will quickly loosen on start up. most here prefer the 1mm of
plunger movement while idling, setting method. Hint with the plugs out you can use the electric start instead of idling the motor, a bit easier on the hands.

Well a bit tricky I does run hard
Assuming the shop has made a professional job .on the head . Something in sound would have changed.
Before and After. Is it the same sound ?
Leaving it to the con rod ( guessing )
I know that the machine runs softer with later ignition
That could be something to try set it back listening for changes
Is it one side only and up in engine or down is that possible to hear. ?
I don't think it is crank bearings.
Oil feed inspected ? filter and so not blocked ?
Filling in oil trough a valve adjustment cover ?

Yes it's the same sound and its coming from the top end, both sides. I'll looking into adjusting the ignition. I dont have any reason to think oil is blocked and I'm not sure what you mean by that last part

Yes it's the same sound and its coming from the top end, both sides. I'll looking into adjusting the ignition. I dont have any reason to think oil is blocked and I'm not sure what you mean by that last part

I was a long shot but they do that on some bikes at start up
Filling / Squirting in oil through inspection and adjustment covers So at the startup there is at least a little oil in place
If it is both sides high up the valve adjustment ..could need a recheck

Sharing YouTube videos is actually a very good tool!
I would encourage more XS650.com members to create a YouTube account, practice uploading and sharing more XS videos. I've done this just a few times now with only a smartphone. Really, if I can share a video (technology :banghead:) anybody can. :)
This 79 engine is a 7k mileage, stock engine and perhaps the quietest I've heard. A little ticking in the past with other XS's I just considered normal :shrug:
-R

After thinking
My view is that the machine is a bit hard running
It is high in the engine and on both sides.
The shop has worked over the cylinder head ,,Not changing .the sound.
Cam chain has been moved .not changing anything .assuming not anything there it is placed right.
So then
May I suggest the valve adjustment and cam chain chain adjustment and setting the ignition later .
And if not solved please upload a short video of sound both sides

Alright so this morning I checked the valves and they had opened up a bit after that first ride. So I re-adjusted them (intake .06mm exhaust .15mm) also slightly tightened cam chain. And the ticking noise is definitely better but still there. So again, is this just normal valve noise? Here's updated video, outside this time as requested by Jan_P

Much better ..Almost to Quiet
Assuming a cold engine
If the valve play is correct this is as good as it gets as far as I know.
If you want you can upload one more video of both sides.
A bit closer walk around
But I am thinking this is good --- very good ---Indicating a tight engine
Among the better I have heard . It is idling even to.
Very fine.

Hi again there is the saying going around
" I rather hear my valves than smell them " ( aka burn them )
So after the run in i of the re bore It would not hurt to check the valve play
I probably would not do it myself ..If I like you have done it adjusted them.now
Extra carefully
But I mention it anyways since there might be other readers.
Less experienced..

Back