Who's in Florida?

ThomasADixon

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was just wondering if there is ever a 'get-together' in Florida (it seems everybody is moving here anyway).:)

Anybody can come of-course, I just wonder if there is anybody in my area near Tampa. I actually live in Thonotosassa, Fl.

Well Tom..
Not in Florida but I am from there.
Lakeland area. Lived in Tampa while stationed at Macdill AFB. My son lives in Gainesville.
I do make a trip or two a year to visit him and head to Lakeland to visit friends. Once I get the Punisher built I would love to get together for a ride. Perhaps with some other members in the area. Unfortunately that will be sometime next year. By then Goldilocks may already have a posse to ride with.

Well, I am not from Florida either, but in the dead of winter, I often wish I was. The next time it snows, dammit, I'm comin' over!

Now, to the matter of your low battery Thomas - it is likely time to check the brushes in your alternator. This is a fairly common problem for older XS650s (the brushes can last from 6,000 to more than 20,000 miles in my experience) but the inspection and repair of them is an easy task for which you will need a #1 or #2 JIS screw driver and a gander at this video:

If you do need new brushes, there are several aftermarket outfits that sell them and they are not expensive. Just be sure to buy the ones for your year of XS650 - they changed late in the production run (like, I think 1980). I usually have at least one spare set around in my toolbox but of course, we moved a while ago and I have no idea where my frickin' toolbox is....:redface:. By the way - there is no loose oil inside that LH engine case-cover - so no worries about a leak.

The other thing you should check while you are in there is the alternator rotor for the proper resistance and continuity. Just use the forum search engine and you will find numerous threads and videos that show how to do that simple task using a basic volt-ohm-ammeter (like $10 or less at Radio Shack).

Finally, if it turns out that you need a new rotor (after 40-50 years, they do get tired) contact forum member @Jim. Aside from being an expert mechanic and a talented painter, Jim has built all the tooling and know-how to actually re-wind XS650 alternator rotors and his rotors are truly better than new once done.

There is no substitute for one of Jim's rotors.

Pete

i was just wondering if there is ever a 'get-together' in Florida (it seems everybody is moving here anyway).:)

Anybody can come of-course, I just wonder if there is anybody in my area near Tampa. I actually live in Thonotosassa, Fl.
I bought my '81 Spl' in Brandon back in Jan. I live north of Jacksonville on the outskirts of Hilliard.

I'm south of you in Bradenton, FL. If you're not a member, check out West Coast Florida Riders on Facebook. Didn't realize so many events were going on in our area.

Back