Why an XS650?

Your '77 looks interesting. As you may be aware, it's one of the most desirable 650 models out there. I don't like to do any cutting, make changes I couldn't reverse if I wanted to. I like to do what we call a "resto-mod". The bike remains looking relatively stock, just vastly improved due to implementing all the little mods and upgrades you can do to these. You can take what was a run-of-the-mill, so-so stock bike and turn it into a quite nice daily rider and all-rounder. Not the best at anything but certainly very acceptable everywhere.

If you're going to pick an old bike to own and ride regularly, it helps to choose one that had a long production run, that they made lots of, and that still has a big following today. The 650 checks all those boxes. I think they made around a half million of them so good deals are still relatively easy to find and good, used, cheap parts are still readily available on eBay and sometimes locally. The bike is also easy to work on and responds well to the mods we give her.

If you're going to pick an old bike to own and ride regularly, it helps to choose one that had a long production run, that they made lots of, and that still has a big following today. The 650 checks all those boxes.
The aftermarket support is also good. Not to mention clubs and online support groups.

Welcome!
I'm not the least bit of what many members here are, but I definitely agree with you.
I've always liked the xs650 engine and luckily I found this community.
Greetings from Mexico.
Hello and thank you LanzSilva.
I assure you that I have followed your posts with great anticipation. I love seeing the pics you share showing you and your friends enjoying your bikes and the adventures you take. I am also quite interested in learning more about the pma you made for your bike and how it has been performing for you. Your enthusiasm is infectious and I find it quite motivating.
Hope all is well for you in Mexico.

Hello 5twins,
I really was unaware of how desirable the 77 may or may not be.
I do know it grabbed at me in particular because 1977 was my graduation year.
I am thinking that frame modifications have been limited to some tab removal and such.
I do not see myself doing a restoration regardless, as disheartening as that may be to some.
If I do decide to build the 77 it will most likely be as a cafe. Better stance, sleeker seating,
modifications/updates to the engine, ignition, brakes, charging system, suspension. Most of the updates
that you have proposed to many and have incorporated in some of your builds as well.
Your bikes are legendary on these pages. Madness, WJL (John's Legacy). Few can match your knowledge
regarding these machines. There are some, but far and few between. Your tips are always saved by me.
I have devoured the tech section as well as the daily posts and your thoughts and views are always given
extra attention. I play a lot of chess. I don't try to waddle my way through with trial and error.
I study and learn from the Masters. Same when I play guitar. Same when I build an XS650.
I am appreciative of any suggestions you may have as I go forward. I've not worked on an XS650 specifically.
but have built many motorcycle engines and done most common maintenance.
I've built numerous car engines and cars from the ground up. I have not yet built a bike from the ground up.
I am far more than capable. However the knowledge shared by this community will make it far, far easier.
Save me a lot of time as well as money. I just want the entire community to know that I am very appreciative,
as I go forward on my project and hopefully I will be able to help feed our shared addiction that is AKA the XS650.

This is where the Information for a PMA set up is. How to make a backing plate and all the componants needed to make your own PMA set up from an RZ250............

https://old.xs650.org.au/Technical Info/Alternators.htm
Thanks Skull.
I haven't made up my mind yet regarding the charging system but I am very interested and intrigued by the mod.
I also like the idea of taking advantage of the incredible skills and ideas developed by the members within this community.
Jim's work or should I say REWORK concerning the stock rotor is quite simply legendary.
I haven't held one in my hand but the pictures as well as everything else he has put his hands on indicates excellence.
The reports I have read by those that have taken advantage of his offering say the same.
Combined with the Gonzo development and the possibility of further improvements in that regard and that system sounds quite enticing.
I really have not made a determination yet and no particular lean. I do like custom, dependable custom.
I will dwell on the various options in depth as I get closer to that stage.
I appreciate you reaching out to me and providing exactly the kind of useful information I need to make the decision.

Fact is, its your bike..............many would complain if some one cut up a good bike in good condition............But its your bike and yours to do as you see fit.
Ditto. I mean... If one of those "complainers" were to message me and wanted to send me a comparable worthy frame that they feel
is suitable for modification, they could save said frame. Of course they would have to pay shipping both ways.
Hmmm... Never see that. Last thing I ever want to hear is somebody telling me what I should or shouldn't do with my property.
I have obviously seen it many many times in my 2 years on this forum. Makes me laugh. I build my bikes for me.
If one of the few "Butcher Blasters" feel the urge, make that urge to hit the ignore button. You won't get pleasure from following me.
You certainly aren't going to shame me. No shame in my game.
The only shame goes to anyone telling another what they can or should do with their own property.
I am and always will grateful for any insights tips or thoughts. I have been pretty clear. I do not like stock personally.
I do not want a bike that takes a discerning eye to notice it isn't stock. I want it to be instantly recognizable.
I also love mods that are not easily discernable. I still appreciate restoration and resto/mod builds. Just not for me.
Having said that... I have not yet cut on either frame. The PO has done some minor tab removal I believe is the extent of the mods.
As for me.. It didn't matter to me when I bought the bike and it doesn't matter to me now.
The 77 is on the back burner and the hardtail will be my primary build.

The bikes you've mentioned (Madness, WJL) aren't mine, they are gggGary's, lol. I just have a couple of resto-mods , a '78 Standard and '83 Special .....

8xen8Ef.jpg

5ilZuAs.jpg

I am happy you waited to respond now instead of sooner, being a newbie of only 2 months. I wouldn't have wanted to miss this thread for the world. I can't really add much other than a very common goodness of agreement with all you have written! Thank you.
'TT'

The bikes you've mentioned (Madness, WJL) aren't mine, they are gggGary's, lol. I just have a couple of resto-mods , a '78 Standard and '83 Special .....

8xen8Ef.jpg

5ilZuAs.jpg
Oh my goodness. Indeed they are. It doesn't diminish the value I place on your knowledge, view and opinions.
You are both two of the pillars supporting this site. I feel like a bit of a goober.
I can't blame it on dyslexia but for whatever reason I have often found myself mixing the 2 of you up.
I have bought parts from gggGary (clutch disc upgrade). I nearly typed to you that I had bought them from you.
Caught myself. At least my brain was half awake. I will be pleased if that is my greatest error during my interactions with
these members. Somehow that seems at least slightly doubtful. Forgive me and thanks again 5twins.
Nice bikes. I instantly see a couple of the simple mods I have in mind.

I am happy you waited to respond now instead of sooner, being a newbie of only 2 months. I wouldn't have wanted to miss this thread for the world. I can't really add much other than a very common goodness of agreement with all you have written! Thank you.
'TT'
Hey TT..
Thanks. I am glad you find it interesting or entertaining.
I will be starting my build thread shortly. Hopefully it will be more worthwhile.

BluzPlayer, welcome from Victoria, BC Canada! Your introduction is spot-on! I feel the same way about this community and feel fortunate to have chosen an XS650 as the old bike I wanted to own, largely because of this community. I had little to no experience with online forums prior to becoming involved here, so have learned a lot about it through trial and error. I'm also a huge fan of your major blues influencers, and am about to buy some Buddy Guy tickets for his upcoming show here in June! Exciting! I look forward to your photos :cheers:

Why an XS 650? Why me?
Was helping my son looking for a starter motorcycle that's how it started.
Stumbled over an add in Craig's list, there was this nice guy I knew from church selling an old XS 650.
Checked it out and bought it on the spot (not for my son) It is an original 1977 in maxi maroon. I decided to strip her and get the frame powder coated.
The engine I took apart and it was in such a good shape so I just cleaned and resealed the whole thing. Meanwhile my son thought that's a frickn nice motorcycle so he had to have one too. So that's how it happened, there are now two XS's in the house. His is a 1981 special with a sick engine which needs some TLC and mine almost ready to ride. But to be honest I have joy just by looking at this beautiful motorcycle and I am happy to have one. It is a classic and a pure motorcycle with all the vibrations and sounds what makes it special.

More Cowbell... Sounds more like a guy from Mississippi rather than North Carolina.
Yes these old bikes catch us all for various reasons.
Yours sounds a little extra special as it sounds like it helped create some extra bonding with your son.
Family is most important. I kind of think that is part of the magic within this forum.
For the most part members here are welcomed as part of an extended family.
It is impossible not to notice the genuine care that many many of these members have for one another.
My guess is that many of them have not never even met. Those that have appear to have cemented that bond.
I will be certain to look at your threads and get a look at your bikes. Thanks for saying hello

BluzPlayer, welcome from Victoria, BC Canada! Your introduction is spot-on! I feel the same way about this community and feel fortunate to have chosen an XS650 as the old bike I wanted to own, largely because of this community. I had little to no experience with online forums prior to becoming involved here, so have learned a lot about it through trial and error. I'm also a huge fan of your major blues influencers, and am about to buy some Buddy Guy tickets for his upcoming show here in June! Exciting! I look forward to your photos :cheers:
Well I certainly could place Buddy Guy in that same group.
He is an ICON. No doubt you will enjoy the show. Dude can still play...
Saw him many years ago.. He simply tore up "Messin with the Kid"

8xen8Ef.jpg
I always thought this simple paint scheme was the most elegant. I does have a commando feel without trying to be a commando. It says motorcycle with out being a billboard.

8th row centre stage Buddy Guy ticket for June 25! Wonder who the special guest will be. Last time I saw him it was Quinn Sullivan, when he was about 15 years old.
Sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread:cheers:
Great seats... you should really enjoy the show
Don't forget to share some pics or video..

I already have 2 bikes. The styles I lean toward are cafe and hardtails.
The XS650 engine makes for a wonderful cafe bike and was the reason I chose one. There are a couple of good examples on here @brassworks comes to mind.
Good luck on your project.

Back