Why an XS650?

BluzPlayer

I wanna Rock n Roll All Night...
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Why an XS650?
Hello my name is Rick. I have been a member of this site for a little over 2 years.
This is my introduction to the community. I am 62 having been raised and living most of my life
in the state of Florida. Great times in that state. Lettered in 3 sports winning a couple of championships.
I served in the Air Force repairing radars for five years. Two of those years were spent in Germany.
While in Europe I travelled to each and every free country including travelling through East Germany to see Berlin.
I joined the Air Force for two reasons. To learn electronics and to travel to Europe. Mission accomplished.

Mechanical things have always come easy to me. Built my first engine at 12 years old. A Briggs and Stratton 5Hp
for my lawnmower. My money maker. That money bought my first motorcycle, a Honda SL 125. Since then I have owned several bikes all of which were modified to some extent or another. I rode bikes for 30 of my 62 years.
Bikes owned: Honda SL 125, Honda CB 175, Honda CB 360, Honda CB 750F (added 1000cc kit), Yamaha RD 350, Yamaha YZ 250.

No XS650. Never really cared for them when they came out. So why an XS650?
Truthfully I can point directly to this forum. The information available in the Tech section is an absolute goldmine.
The wealth of information is astounding. But the true gold this site contains is tied directly to those who give so much of themselves in their constant and continuous contributions. Not limited to their own personal projects but in the aid they unselfishly render to virtually anyone that asks. I don't know the membership numbers but there is a handful (maybe both hands) of members that are the Titans within this community. The information I have learned from these Titans is already sufficient that I am confident I can most likely accomplish creating my visions with less headaches and reduced costs. For that I would very much like to thank you. I have thought about naming those I am thankful for and with only a handful or two it would seem easy enough. Truth is that anyone that reads this forum already knows who I am talking about. I would not desire to let anyone feel left out, especially since many non Titans often post something thought provoking and add to this forum being what it is. I will mention Travis. Thank you for maintaining this site. Without it the community would suffer a great loss.

Besides this forum and it's wealth of knowledge there are several other reasons I have chosen the XS650 for my next project bike.The XS650 is relatively cheap, easy to find, and parts are readily available. The platform is easily modified and performance upgrades as well as other modifications are pretty simple and can go from mild to wild. As someone that doesn't really care for anything stock that was very appealing to me. Please don't misunderstand, not caring to own a stock bike (or car for that matter) does not mean I do not or can not appreciate a beautiful restoration. Some members here have built some absolutely gorgeous restorations. Those are extremely difficult builds and I have admired them. Just not for me. I never want to pull up to a red light or go to a bike show or anyplace else and see another bike that looks like mine.
That just doesn't work for me. I can also appreciate a "survivor" but I would never ever own one. I can't own a bike that is undependable. I will be doing a complete rebuild with new, or reconditioned as new parts.

That is enough of this novel for now. I know the community loves pics and I have many to share with more to come.
I will try to load some tomorrow. So Hello... and Thank you.

Last edited:
Very well said. I have interest in vintage VW beetles, Toyota Supras, Suzuki GT750’s, boats and small engine repair. I belong to discussion groups for all of these interests and by far, this XS650.com site is the best I’ve ever had the pleasure of being a part of. Great members who are willing to share knowledge and polite enough to not say: “it’s been discussed many times before, use the search function”. Makes ownership of one of these bikes more pleasurable.

Edit: where’s my manners? Welcome to the group!

Last edited:
"Why an XS650?
Besides this forum and it's wealth of knowledge there are several other reasons I have chosen the XS650 for my next project bike.The XS650 is relatively cheap, easy to find, and parts are readily available. The platform is easily modified and performance upgrades as well as other modifications are pretty simple and can go from mild to wild. As someone that doesn't really care for anything stock that was very appealing to me. Please don't misunderstand, not caring to own a stock bike (or car for that matter) does not mean I do not or can not appreciate a beautiful restoration. Some members here have built some absolutely gorgeous restorations. Those are extremely difficult builds and I have admired them. Just not for me. I never want to pull up to a red light or go to a bike show or anyplace else and see another bike that looks like mine."
I concur! Welcome aboard.

Welcome (officially), hope to see your project soon. No doubt a great bunch of guys here that are always willing and able to help, this is truly a great resource. Are you looking for a standard or a special, any specific year, resto/modified? What are your eventual intentions? Looking for a project or a runner? With a name like @BluzPlayer in a place like Brandon, Ms you must be a picker. Delta or Hill Country blues? I'm big R.L. Burnside fan, love the Hill Country sound.

I would like to thank you all for the welcome. I still need to figure out how to add the quotes for replies.
So I will do the best I can for now.

Bosco, Thank you very much. I am also all about vintage. Water cooled motorcycles are blasphemy to me.
Yes, I do realize the performance increase and the advantages of technology.
I'm just old school I guess.

Much appreciated Jim. You are definitely one of the stalwarts of this community and provide much inspiration.

NJ, I am glad we share a Paleo-simplistic view.

Thank you Rasputin. Loved the times I spent in the UK. Great memories.

Hello Rusty. I already have 2 bikes. The styles I lean toward are cafe and hardtails.
I have a 1977 which the PO has cut some on the frame in an apparent plan to cafe the bike.
Nothing major and work I would have had to do myself anyway. I actually bought that bike for $100 for parts.
He had it on craigslist for $300. Many issues including no title. I also have a titled 1980 hardtail.
Both bikes have been stripped.
Yes indeed I love playing on my guitars. Musical roots are mostly Delta and Texas Blues and Southern Rock.
However I like to play many styles. Love Burnside. My biggest influences are Albert King, Stevie Ray. Hendrix.
Can't forget about big Muddy. I am a Florida boy that ended up stuck in this Mississippi Mud.

Appreciate the welcome Boog

Hey Hey Marty. Yes indeed you are on the radar being relatively close here in Mississippi.
I'd definitely love to get together and break some bread.
Unfortunately I am thinking that this build will take a bit of time with my other ongoing projects.
Possibly the spring of next year although an earlier completion is certainly possible.
However that doesn't mean we can't still get together.

Pics of the 1977 parts bike from when I picked it up at the PO.

Attachments

• 20190904_181941.jpg
    20190904_181941.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot_2019-09-02-14-33-49.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-02-14-33-49.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot_2019-09-14-10-19-12.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-14-10-19-12.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
  • Screenshot_2019-09-14-10-19-15.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-14-10-19-15.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_2019-09-14-10-19-18.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-14-10-19-18.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 131
Hey Hey Marty. Yes indeed you are on the radar being relatively close here in Mississippi.
I'd definitely love to get together and break some bread.
Unfortunately I am thinking that this build will take a bit of time with my other ongoing projects.
Possibly the spring of next year although an earlier completion is certainly possible.
However that doesn't mean we can't still get together.
Okay then, we're going to do it.

Welcome to the forum.
You have selected the XS650 for similar reasons as we have.
And now that you've been here for a couple years and are benefitting from the info and the community, I'd say that it's time to become a contributor ($).
Here is the place to do that: https://www.xs650.com/pages/about-us/

Pics of the 1980 Hardtail.
4N9-001069
The 4N9 and the oil sight glass means it's most likely an '81SH. My '80 is titled as a '79. It's not unusual for the title showing the previous year.
Not important in the grand scheme of things... but something to keep in mind when hunting parts.

The 4N9 and the oil sight glass means it's most likely an '81SH. My '80 is titled as a '79. It's not unusual for the title showing the previous year.
Not important in the grand scheme of things... but something to keep in mind when hunting parts.
The black barrel and cam cover also says 1981.

Welcome to the forum.
You have selected the XS650 for similar reasons as we have.
And now that you've been here for a couple years and are benefitting from the info and the community, I'd say that it's time to become a contributor ($).
Here is the place to do that: https://www.xs650.com/pages/about-us/
Yes indeed Dude.. Already on my mind.
I'll have my support banner shortly. Thanks for the link!

A lot of tidbits like that with these bikes as you are well aware. I appreciate you pointing those kinds of details out.

Well, I just now saw this thread, welcome to the madhouse, the best motorcycle forum on the internet! That was a very nice introduction, I look forward to seeing your bike come along. I too have owned a number of bikes and been a member of a bunch of different forums, but for all the reasons you listed in your first post, I not only own an XS650 , I bought another to continue the fun. When you are ready to get going , I highly recommend starting your own build thread and posting all your progress and questions there, it makes it easier for us to track what you’re doing and for reference. Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

Well, I just now saw this thread, welcome to the madhouse, the best motorcycle forum on the internet! That was a very nice introduction, I look forward to seeing your bike come along. I too have owned a number of bikes and been a member of a bunch of different forums, but for all the reasons you listed in your first post, I not only own an XS650 , I bought another to continue the fun. When you are ready to get going , I highly recommend starting your own build thread and posting all your progress and questions there, it makes it easier for us to track what you’re doing and for reference. Good luck to you! :thumbsup:
Much appreciated Mailman. Your work is always astounding. Immaculate. Just like your shop which is a whole other level of inspiration.
Indeed I will be starting my build thread very shortly. The bikes are stripped already so I will be posting some pics that were taken previously to start.

Why an XS650?
Hello my name is Rick. I have been a member of this site for a little over 2 years.
This is my introduction to the community. I am 62 having been raised and living most of my life
in the state of Florida. Great times in that state. Lettered in 3 sports winning a couple of championships.
I served in the Air Force repairing radars for five years. Two of those years were spent in Germany.
While in Europe I travelled to each and every free country including travelling through East Germany to see Berlin.
I joined the Air Force for two reasons. To learn electronics and to travel to Europe. Mission accomplished.

Mechanical things have always come easy to me. Built my first engine at 12 years old. A Briggs and Stratton 5Hp
for my lawnmower. My money maker. That money bought my first motorcycle, a Honda SL 125. Since then I have owned several bikes all of which were modified to some extent or another. I rode bikes for 30 of my 62 years.
Bikes owned: Honda SL 125, Honda CB 175, Honda CB 360, Honda CB 750F (added 1000cc kit), Yamaha RD 350, Yamaha YZ 250.

No XS650. Never really cared for them when they came out. So why an XS650?
Truthfully I can point directly to this forum. The information available in the Tech section is an absolute goldmine.
The wealth of information is astounding. But the true gold this site contains is tied directly to those who give so much of themselves in their constant and continuous contributions. Not limited to their own personal projects but in the aid they unselfishly render to virtually anyone that asks. I don't know the membership numbers but there is a handful (maybe both hands) of members that are the Titans within this community. The information I have learned from these Titans is already sufficient that I am confident I can most likely accomplish creating my visions with less headaches and reduced costs. For that I would very much like to thank you. I have thought about naming those I am thankful for and with only a handful or two it would seem easy enough. Truth is that anyone that reads this forum already knows who I am talking about. I would not desire to let anyone feel left out, especially since many non Titans often post something thought provoking and add to this forum being what it is. I will mention Travis. Thank you for maintaining this site. Without it the community would suffer a great loss.

Besides this forum and it's wealth of knowledge there are several other reasons I have chosen the XS650 for my next project bike.The XS650 is relatively cheap, easy to find, and parts are readily available. The platform is easily modified and performance upgrades as well as other modifications are pretty simple and can go from mild to wild. As someone that doesn't really care for anything stock that was very appealing to me. Please don't misunderstand, not caring to own a stock bike (or car for that matter) does not mean I do not or can not appreciate a beautiful restoration. Some members here have built some absolutely gorgeous restorations. Those are extremely difficult builds and I have admired them. Just not for me. I never want to pull up to a red light or go to a bike show or anyplace else and see another bike that looks like mine.
That just doesn't work for me. I can also appreciate a "survivor" but I would never ever own one. I can't own a bike that is undependable. I will be doing a complete rebuild with new, or reconditioned as new parts.

That is enough of this novel for now. I know the community loves pics and I have many to share with more to come.
I will try to load some tomorrow. So Hello... and Thank you.
Welcome!
I'm not the least bit of what many members here are, but I definitely agree with you.
I've always liked the xs650 engine and luckily I found this community.
Greetings from Mexico.

Back