Will a 83 motor work in my 72, and is this a good deal?

A titled frame alone can fetch three hundred.....maybe more in this current climate.
A compression test on the '77 motor is in line to determine if it's worth the remainder of the purchase price if the titled frame is sold.
It all depends on your budget whether to recoup or store away.

I wouldn’t turn away from runnin your original cases. As long as they don’t leak.

if the bike was in as rough of shape as you say it was in when you got it, it was probably cracked from the result of some bonehead move.

that being said, your rods look toasted and if you don’t wanna rebuild a motor swap sounds like a fast track to gettin on the road at a low price.

if the motor in the bike for sale turns out to be a dud, sell the frame, the ignition, carbs and wheels and you’ll make back that 600 and then some.

If your original bike has carbs and an ignition, you could still sell off everything, have a new motor and make some money in the process. (At least that’s the way I see it)

Not knowing where you are but would say I do have the crankcases for the 1972 you see over to the left. I'm near Syracuse NY.

I would have to look them over to know if there was any obvious problems with them. One thing I know if that bike was stored in a leaking shed for many years so the outside of the cases would need some serious cleaning.

Pretty sure I do have the frame from that bike still out in the barn, not sure if I checked to see if numbers matched. One thing I know I don't have is the title. Bike was last licensed in 1984 in Oregon going by tag on the plate. Forget when I obtained it but was sometime between 2000 and 2010 so I would say it spent around 20 years in that shed!

If there is any interest I could drag them out and give a quick look over and maybe take some pictures. Price would be very negotiable. If shipping was involved I would need to get shipping costs plus enough to cover my time and effort plus a little to encourage get my but moving.

Just to give an idea of how bad it was I'm attaching a right side view of engine before I started dismantling to sell parts.
72 Yamaha.JPG

Not knowing where you are but would say I do have the crankcases for the 1972 you see over to the left. I'm near Syracuse NY.

I would have to look them over to know if there was any obvious problems with them. One thing I know if that bike was stored in a leaking shed for many years so the outside of the cases would need some serious cleaning.

Pretty sure I do have the frame from that bike still out in the barn, not sure if I checked to see if numbers matched. One thing I know I don't have is the title. Bike was last licensed in 1984 in Oregon going by tag on the plate. Forget when I obtained it but was sometime between 2000 and 2010 so I would say it spent around 20 years in that shed!

If there is any interest I could drag them out and give a quick look over and maybe take some pictures. Price would be very negotiable. If shipping was involved I would need to get shipping costs plus enough to cover my time and effort plus a little to encourage get my but moving.

Just to give an idea of how bad it was I'm attaching a right side view of engine before I started dismantling to sell parts.View attachment 191860

Thanks for the offer. I'm in Illinois so there would be shipping. But at this point in time I'm not wanting to do a full engine rebuild. But I may in the future if this new one I drug home today turns out to be a dud,,,lol.

Not in any hurry but if you decide to tear into it let me know. Thanks

So He wouldn't come off the $600 because he SAID his phone was blowing up with guys wanting it. I just sold a Goldwing for way more than I expected so I didn't mind giving him his price for what I saw.

The carbs appear to be nos Sudco Mikuni. I'll have to pull them apart and see what they look like. On the Sudco site for $430.

Has new Red Wing progressive style shocks.

Has 150psi compression on each cylinder. It wore us both out trying to hold it still and kick it. Once it hit 150psi I called it good.

Can't tell if the Boyer ignition is new or not. Forgot to ask.

His paint job on the motor is iffy. It's sticking good to the side covers and the cylinders. But it's scratching off the top of the case. That will have to be dealt with. Funny thing is I was in the process of building a vapor blaster for the other motor. I have all the stuff. Just need to assemble it. But I don't think I want to tear this one apart. Or do I,,,lol.Do you guys think I should pull it apart and vapor blast it??? Or put the dam thing in and run it,,,lol.

The wheels are pretty dang nice. If I didn't have nos rims now I would be proud to have these.

Now I just hope the dam thing is good.

Thanks for all the help.

20210523_130900[1].jpg
20210523_130959[1].jpg
20210523_131243[1].jpg

I wouldn’t turn away from runnin your original cases. As long as they don’t leak.

if the bike was in as rough of shape as you say it was in when you got it, it was probably cracked from the result of some bonehead move.

that being said, your rods look toasted and if you don’t wanna rebuild a motor swap sounds like a fast track to gettin on the road at a low price.

if the motor in the bike for sale turns out to be a dud, sell the frame, the ignition, carbs and wheels and you’ll make back that 600 and then some.

If your original bike has carbs and an ignition, you could still sell off everything, have a new motor and make some money in the process. (At least that’s the way I see it)

The original case IIRC did leak even after it was welded,,,I think. I think that's when I decided to pull it apart and have him weld it on the inside too,,,maybe.

Here's what my bike looked like when I brought it home. A nice Maroon color. Then it went through a bobber phase with a peanut tank on it. It's came a long way.

20210523_140622[1].jpg
20210523_140935[1].jpg

Thanks for the offer. I'm in Illinois so there would be shipping. But at this point in time I'm not wanting to do a full engine rebuild. But I may in the future if this new one I drug home today turns out to be a dud,,,lol.

Not in any hurry but if you decide to tear into it let me know. Thanks
Well let me know, as long as I'm here those probably will be too.

With the paint removed and those engine side covers polished that '83 engine sure would be pretty......always liked that blackened look.

That's a 77 engine.

But man. I hate to tear it apart to vapor blast it. Bit if I don't the money on the vapor blaster will be wasted,,,lol.

If the paint is flaking, it’s probably just cheap rattle can, put some acetone on a rag and I bet it wipes right off. Doesn’t hold up to gas either...

it would probably pressure wash off too...

Make some watertight intake and exhaust covers and give it a blast with the pressure washer. No worries about glass beads to clean up, no tear down.

just an idea

Make some watertight intake and exhaust covers and give it a blast with the pressure washer. No worries about glass beads to clean up, no tear down.
just an idea
:twocents:
Only pressure wash if you can start and run a motor long enough to vaporize and remove any water vapor from inside.
(hard earned experience)

:twocents:
Only pressure wash if you can start and run a motor long enough to vaporize and remove any water vapor from inside.
(hard earned experience)

I’ve blasted one or two motors years ago without any damage done but what Gary is saying makes a lot of sense.

If you did try it, would test a small area to see if it even knocked the paint off first.

Back