Will not turn over with kicker pedal?

816niner

XS650 Member
Reaction score
While installing new PMA, went to roll engine over with kicker pedal will not roll over. Engine rolled over when I purchased.
What I did.
Bolted up engine mounts, had missing lower bolt and one missing front bolt.
Removed left cover.
Removed old alternator.
Removed drive sprocket.

I reversed my steps, loosened all engine mounts, installed drive sprocket, installed side cover left with no PMA still would not turn over.
Made sure in neutral.
Pulled plugs sprayed penetrating oil.
Had been in mostly climate controlled garage?
Any ideas.
Going pull starter when I get home. Try to roll over.
Should engine roll with no clutch if I pull clutch?

Attachments

• 6FDDA2E5-2D5C-4120-BB09-D50D829C6A96.jpeg
    6FDDA2E5-2D5C-4120-BB09-D50D829C6A96.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 104
  • 093DD0EB-629F-4271-92F1-D5C0C1D4FB16.jpeg
    093DD0EB-629F-4271-92F1-D5C0C1D4FB16.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 4A162D62-F8DA-4643-AC82-B3E2D78F1C60.jpeg
    4A162D62-F8DA-4643-AC82-B3E2D78F1C60.jpeg
    333.6 KB · Views: 110
went to roll engine over with kicker pedal will not roll over.
Just so we're on the same page terminology wise... are you saying the motor won't turn over? It's locked up?
What's the kicker doing... won't budge like it's locked in place, or just goes up and down without spinning the motor over?

Just so we're on the same page terminology wise... are you saying the motor won't turn over? It's locked up?
What's the kicker doing... won't budge like it's locked in place, or just goes up and down without spinning the motor over?
Motor is locked up kicker only travels to 9 o’clock position then will not budge

I have chain and drive sprocket off, I will put chain on and try rear wheel. I will put PMA on and try turning crank

With the clutch disengaged (pulled in) the kicker will not turn the engine over. The kicker kicks through the clutch so it must be engaged (not pulled in). Make sure you have the bike in neutral, you could be between gears and locked up in the transmission. If you can't rotate the drive sprocket by hand your not in neutral. If the clutch is not adjusted/assembled properly it could be rubbing against the inner primary cover causing it to lock up.

With the clutch disengaged (pulled in) the kicker will not turn the engine over. The kicker kicks through the clutch so it must be engaged (not pulled in). Make sure you have the bike in neutral, you could be between gears and locked up in the transmission. If you can't rotate the drive sprocket by hand your not in neutral. If the clutch is not adjusted/assembled properly it could be rubbing against the inner primary cover causing it to lock up.
Should it turn over with left side cover off?

Back