Winnipeg xs peeps

XS’s are fun projects but it seems you may be prioritizing the XS incorrectly?
See you don’t have to put 3k into these. You can find a near running engine for pretty cheap.
You could build your bike faster that way. And sell parts on the side that others are wanting.
XS projects are even more fun if you aren’t going in over budget !
I think I will take yur advice n start with a runner.but I'm keeping this fram n do some surgery on her.tc bros rigid I plan on using handle bar controls from a xr 650 l the xr is 2022

You can get to where you're going, but you might not be in the best place to start. Sometimes people have a dream and of course that's great but it might need a lot of resources - time, money, workshop, tools, skills, not necessarily in that order and in varying amounts.

If you didn't pay a lot for the bike, keep it for spares and see if you can pick up a runner at a price you can afford and go from there. But it all depends on your priorities, the good people here can only advise and help.

We crossed in the post . . .

You can get to where you're going, but you might not be in the best place to start. Sometimes people have a dream and of course that's great but it might need a lot of resources - time, money, workshop, tools, skills, not necessarily in that order and in varying amounts.

If you didn't pay a lot for the bike, keep it for spares and see if you can pick up a runner at a price you can afford and go from there. But it all depends on your priorities, the good people here can only advise and help.

Paid 500$

Thanks ill get there.motorcycle salvage yard is a thing of buatty

Not to judge ones choice or decision, anything can b achieved with help and the right attitude

I do see anomalies and do wonder if this bike is the right choice.
Anomalies are the gauges and swingarm are earlier than 80. Gauges and swingarm 78/79 Special. Dipstick was plastic on the 80 and later. As Jan points out only Vin no's will confirm.Forks look bent to me as well. ? On the 2 sets of carbs, are they the same, need to see pics. Swing Arm makes no difference to a hardtail, just makes me question, isthe bike is a mash up of more than one.?

Not to judge ones choice or decision, anything can b achieved with help and the right attitude

I do see anomalies and do wonder if this bike is the right choice.
Anomalies are the gauges and swingarm are earlier than 80. Gauges and swingarm 78/79 Special. Dipstick was plastic on the 80 and later. As Jan points out only Vin no's will confirm.Forks look bent to me as well. ? On the 2 sets of carbs, are they the same, need to see pics. Swing Arm makes no difference to a hardtail, just makes me question, isthe bike is a mash up of more than one.?
Probly I'm looking for runner motor. Vin says made Aug 79.yamaha Canada says 80

If you like you can post pictures of Camshaft /Piston Skirts / Cylinder Bores we can have an opinion.
Cylinder head inside

It the forks are bent it has taken a hit in a collision
What happens to the Steering head for an XS 650 ..Will it bend out of spec ? .. Crack ?
Probably but I'm not using the front on it.im going with a yz 490 lowering 6 inch or more

“NEVER” in capital letters, my gosh ? I have always gotten into XS projects very reasonably. I actually call it a “profitable hobby”
xsman4sho here is seemingly preparing to spend a significant amount on this. He joined for advice and help.
Look at the bike pics. It appears to have been stored awhile exposed to weather. Brake rotors, frame, engine all a bit rusty. L👀k closer at the forks. Is that an optical illusion or are the fork tubes bent ?
A lot of work there.
Bent tubes are a mixed blessing. Turn them 180 degrees and you get more rake! They limit bottoming and may give a little progressive action besides, all with out taking them apart.

Bent tubes are a mixed blessing. Turn them 180 degrees and you get more rake! They limit bottoming and may give a little progressive action besides, all with out taking them apart.

OK I'll keep that in mind.but I'm using a few different dirt bike parts.she gonna look meen

I don't know if you took Kevin's post seriously or not.......not is the operative word. Bent tubes will bind. If your replacing them no prob, if using them they need to b straightened.

Back