1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Winter project: upgrading time! (R6 forks and more...)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bjorn, Dec 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Guru Top Contributor

A scope is pretty much like a graphic voltmeter. Time on the X axis and signal level (voltage) on the Y axis. Some more advanced Fluke multimeters have a scope function as well. You seem to be pretty connected with workshops and engineering, surely someone you know or know of could help out?

Bjorn and Jim like this.
  2. arcticXS

And, Jim's twisted pair suggestion is definitely something to ponder over. In my job, we have umbilical cables up to 1200 m long, with both signal lines and power lines in them. Twisted and shielded signal pairs are a must, or the signals become so noisy that they are worthless.
    So twisting, and maybe wrapping the TCI wires in aluminum foil may help.
    And also avoiding signal wires running next to any "noisy" power wires is generally a good thing.

Bjorn and Jim like this.
  3. Bjorn

Bjorn XS650 Addict

I remember working with trucks it was covered in twisted pairs for stuff like the canbus. I see how maybe the wiring of the TCI pick up could be improved. I used to work for a company that made vision systems for the new trucks and heavy equipment. They would use shielded cable and I think (need to check) that the braided shield would be connected to the ground on one side.

I do happen to have some of that braided cable and the dedicated connectors laying around.
    IMG_20210610_174115179.jpg

IMG_20210610_174121751.jpg

The only thing is, the TCI pickup is a closed body, I can't get inside so I don't know how effective this will be?

Back to my peeling-test at home. I just stripped the loom for the TCI pick up. Can't deny the fact that the power wires (stator and brushes) run next to the TCI wires. Side question: how was this routed originally?
    IMG_20210610_172039107_HDR.jpg

First protection layer removed:
    IMG_20210610_172703824.jpg

TCI protection layer removed:
    IMG_20210610_173513285.jpg

Inspection every cm of the wires. They look alright. You can see the clamps have left some sort of a dent.:
    IMG_20210610_173616124_HDR.jpg

Solder joints here:
    IMG_20210610_173521820.jpg

Mailman, gggGary and Jim like this.
  4. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Am I correct in that you're using two seperate connectors... 1 for the stator and another for the TCI pickup?
    For troubleshooting you could give the two harnesses (pickup and stator) as much separation as possible, temporarily tie/tape in place and run the engine. See what happens?

gggGary likes this.
  5. Bjorn

Bjorn XS650 Addict

Yes the TCI has his own connector! That is an easy test, I'll do that tomorrow.

Gave the stator& brush wires the same treatment:
    IMG_20210610_180600373.jpg
    Even took that last original bit of protection off. Funny to see the bright colored wires in there haha. They actually feel pretty flexible.
    IMG_20210610_181050654.jpg

I gave everything a good shake while measuring the resistance.

TCI: nothing special
    Stator: nothing
    Brushes: nothing.

gggGary likes this.
  6. Brassneck

Brassneck XS650 Guru

Is that yellow wire, coming out of the stator capped? Or is it just the angle of the picture?

7. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Just to say you did... you could twist the pickup wires before you put the sheath back on. Be very careful not to pull on the wires where they enter the pickup. I suspect they'll break pretty easy at the point.

gggGary, Bjorn and arcticXS like this.
  8. Brassneck

Brassneck XS650 Guru

Nevermind, I see it is capped now that I could enlarge the pic on my phone. :)

gggGary and Jim like this.
  9. arcticXS

Even twisting the 3 white AC wires a bit may not hurt with regards to suppressing any noise at the source. This is actually done at certain intervals on high power lines (swapping positions between cables)

gggGary, Bjorn and Jim like this.
  10. Jim

thumbsup.gif

gggGary likes this.
  11. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

Have you approached Carmo and told them when it runs smoothly and when it does not in relation to the R/R connections? They may recognize the symptoms immediately.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    gggGary, Bjorn, arcticXS and 2 others like this.
  12. Bjorn

Bjorn XS650 Addict

Can't wait to test tomorrow!

Yeah I gave the carmo guys a brief version of what I have tested. We'll see what they find and what I find.

I need to check if my stator lines are long enough for twisting.

gggGary and Jim like this.
  13. Bjorn

Bjorn XS650 Addict

So rerouted everything this morning. Temporary setup for testing. Did not use shield, just distance between the wires bundels.

IMG_20210611_095253251_HDR.jpg

Result: did not make a f#cking difference..... I really thought this would be it.

The only thing left in my opinion: stator

One week of full time testing, still a shit bike. This thing is driving me bananas

Mailman, Paul Sutton and gggGary like this.
  14. Bjorn

Bjorn XS650 Addict

Bonus test with ghetto shielded TCI sensor wires:

IMG_20210611_113453451_HDR.jpg

Still running badly.

Next I'm gonna try that Gonzo ignition box.

Mailman and gggGary like this.
  15. gggGary

gggGary When a whole one is just too much. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

You are beyond tough and persistent Bjorn.

Mailman, Bjorn and arcticXS like this.
  16. Bjorn

Bjorn XS650 Addict

thanks gary. Without so much help I don't know if I would have....

So I have a question about hooking up the Gonzo box. One thing I'm not sure of is the TCI pick up leads. Mine has

Orange
    Black.
    Grey.

All the schematics I can find in my manual or on this forum have

Black/white.
    Red/white.
    Green/white.

How to hook this up?

That 60 page Gonzo thread is probably full of interesting stuff but I can't find anything in there:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

gggGary likes this.
  17. gggGary

18. Bjorn

Bjorn XS650 Addict

Thanks Gary. So that means the grey wire from the pick up is not used at all?

IMG_20210611_125117528_HDR.jpg

Fingers crossed, find this kinda scary to be honest

gggGary likes this.
  19. Bjorn

Bjorn XS650 Addict

Btw this shows how one would look into the connector going into the Gonzo box right? So looking into the Gonzo box directly means inverting left to right. (Thats what I did). Pigtail Wiring V2.png

gggGary likes this.
  20. gggGary

Made me look but yes Gonzo only uses one (orange) of the two pick ups on the trigger.