Winter project: upgrading time! (R6 forks and more...)

Did some testing yesterday, it running great! The idle is really stable ones warmed up, which is nice. No more traffic lights anxiety haha.

Did some minor tweaking of the mix screws and throttle slide screws.

Only the cold starting is still hard. It doesn't accept any choke while starting. Leaving me to kick it without and a low rpm at idle.

the cold starting is still hard. It doesn't accept any choke while starting
My VM equipped bike REQUIRES choke for cold start and warm up, about the first minute's running is dodgy unless I am nursing (I have two separate) chokes/enricheners.
I fought poor sealing float needle valves for quite a while on several VM carbs.
There are also a couple different float settings depending on when the VM was built older carbs used a different setting.
Just a heads up if purchasing replacements, there are several VM float valve throat sizes.

Before I changed the cam chain (to what I believe is the right tooth), I tried the VMs. I do remember they started only with choke.

I to have two separate choke levers.

And jerry from heiden tuning recommended using the chokes for starting. He prepared these carbs. I don't know what floats I have.

Just reading the general mikuni VM manual. Maybe its not super weird i dont need to use the choke (enricher) at the current temperature?

mikuni starter.JPG

Hi, i'm from NL too.
My XS starts 1st time on choke witch CVK's.
What needles and jets do you use?

Hi, don't recall maybe it's in the topic somewhere. However my problem was have the timing one tooth off 🙈

Running mikuni VMs now, maybe I'll try the cvk again next year.

Where are you located in the Netherlands? I'm in Zwolle

Hi, don't recall maybe it's in the topic somewhere. However my problem was have the timing one tooth off 🙈

Running mikuni VMs now, maybe I'll try the cvk again next year.

Where are you located in the Netherlands? I'm in Zwolle
I'm from Burgm Frl. My next project will be a R6 fork. Will alse have to make som disk spacers. Were yours 14.5mm also?

Just reading the general mikuni VM manual. Maybe its not super weird i dont need to use the choke (enricher) at the current temperature?

View attachment 215438
Sounds like it may be a tad rich on the pilot jet or mixture screw. Note that on a VM carb, mixture screw IN gives a slightly richer idle mixture, screw OUT will make it leaner. This is OPPOSITE to how it works on the stock CV carbs.
The "rule of thumb" regarding idle jet size and mixture screw is that you want to end up with the mixture screw between 1 or 2 turns out from seated.
And the basic method is to find the idle mixture that gives the highest idle rpm. So with a fully warmed up engine, tweak the mixture screws to see where you get the highest rpm. If that happens with the mixture screws more than 2 turns out, you need smaller idle jets. And with highest rpm with the screws less than 1 turn out indicates a need for larger idle jets.
And as always: Before attempting any carb tuning, the engine must be in decent condition and adjusted correctly. That means good compression, correct cam timing and timing chain tension, correct valve clearances, new or clean air filters, and correct ignition timing

Back