Winter Weather is upon us...time to return to Basement Hobbies.

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
In addition to my farm diorama (which is stalled due to lack of acreage) I also like to build 1:25 plastic models. Pretty sure I've posted my '50 Chevy 3100 pickup that I modified to a NAPCO 4WD conversion.

Last Winter I started on a quest to convert this:

kit.jpg

Into a replica of this:

lt1.jpg

Known locally as a "pulp truck" they're a stretched straight truck with a tag axle and a log loader. I wanted a challenge rather than just building a "shake the box" like a bajillion others.

Many parts made on the 3D printer, frame stretched 6 actual inches, entire loader built from scratch using printed parts and standard plastic shapes.

ldrv2_2.jpg

That's as far as I got last Winter, but the last week or so I've dug it back out and continued with it:

truckp4.jpg

I'm "weathering" it as I go to create the look of a well used but well-maintained truck. Long way to go yet, but feels good to get back at it.

Downeaster, Would you have any interest in an International F-4270? It is partially assembled don't recall if I had finished it or if it looks like this now because of poor workmanship. It appears to have a 903 Cummins V-8 for power.

I also have an AMT 1957 Ford more or less "mint in box" 99% of the pieces still on the branches they came out of the molds on.

That’s some really nice workmanship DE. It’s amazing to me that you can make that stuff from scratch. Have you ever had any interest in building ship models? Hard to fit into a diorama I know 😄, but they look like they would be fun to build if you were detailed oriented.

Problem with plastic models of "modern" ships (for me at least) is that in order to get a reasonable physical size, the scale is so small that the details are REALLY tiny.

Sailing ships are somewhat better being much smaller IRL, but the rigging is SO delicate and "fairing" the hull has always eluded me. Never have managed to get it symetrical. Tried to build a lobster boat. Even at a scale that made the finished boat nearly 2 feet long, it was more than I could manage in a manner I was satisfied with.

I used to build airplane models as a kid, but when I tried one as an adult a couple of years ago (an A10 Warthog) I couldn't manage the paint with any degree of skill. Wound up giving the partially assembled kit away and the father and son that finished it did an amazing job with it. They did panel lines, rivet details, wear on the leading edges of the wings, uber-detailed pilot and cockpit...all the stuff that makes a finished model really pop. Just don't have the eyes, steadiness or patience for that any more. If I ever did...

Problem with plastic models of "modern" ships (for me at least) is that in order to get a reasonable physical size, the scale is so small that the details are REALLY tiny.

Sailing ships are somewhat better being much smaller IRL, but the rigging is SO delicate and "fairing" the hull has always eluded me. Never have managed to get it symetrical. Tried to build a lobster boat. Even at a scale that made the finished boat nearly 2 feet long, it was more than I could manage in a manner I was satisfied with.

I used to build airplane models as a kid, but when I tried one as an adult a couple of years ago (an A10 Warthog) I couldn't manage the paint with any degree of skill. Wound up giving the partially assembled kit away and the father and son that finished it did an amazing job with it. They did panel lines, rivet details, wear on the leading edges of the wings, uber-detailed pilot and cockpit...all the stuff that makes a finished model really pop. Just don't have the eyes, steadiness or patience for that any more. If I ever did...
This fella has a business making scale model boats...
1670011911282.png
1670012080014.png
1670012111583.png

View attachment 231155

Stuff like this launched a career for me. Who knew!
I built a couple of those.

When the family and I transferred to Japan we lived in temporary quarters with another family for several weeks waiting on housing to come open for us. Separate personal quarters with a common kitchen and living room. Only way to get any privacy was to stay in the personal area. Plus it was February, so going outside was limited at best. Got a little old but at least I had the wife and kids with me.

While there, I needed to stay busy to keep from getting stressed out and I built a balsa, paper and dope model of my all-time favorite airplane, the F4-U Corsair. Had about a 2 foot wingspan. REALLY wanted to power it but I was an E4 with three kids so money was too tight.

truckleft2.jpg

Rounding 3rd base and headed for home. Several details to finish up, but wanted to get the cab mounted to check that the relationship between cab/fenders/hood/radiator was correct.

It was, thank goodness. Reworking any of that would have been a HUGE pain in the derriere.

View attachment 231927

Rounding 3rd base and headed for home. Several details to finish up, but wanted to get the cab mounted to check that the relationship between cab/fenders/hood/radiator was correct.

It was, thank goodness. Reworking any of that would have been a HUGE pain in the derriere.
Looking good I thought it was the real thing :thumbsup:
Now if you could 3D print a 650...
Wouldn't that be a hoot :bike:

I haven't gotten around to adding the ignition wires to the "distributor" in front.
View attachment 231998
Love looking at your badge castings. You think a little like I do when it comes to making ppl. do a double take. Had a '50 Ford F-1 with a 302 in it. I painted the engine 55-57 T-Bird red with tall black Canton smooth valve covers on it with the correct T-Bird decals. Painted the aluminum intake red also and added a black Caddy air cleaner. Don't know how many times I was asked if it was a 292 or a 312. You do beautiful work.

Love looking at your badge castings. You think a little like I do when it comes to making ppl. do a double take. Had a '50 Ford F-1 with a 302 in it. I painted the engine 55-57 T-Bird red with tall black Canton smooth valve covers on it with the correct T-Bird decals. Painted the aluminum intake red also and added a black Caddy air cleaner. Don't know how many times I was asked if it was a 292 or a 312. You do beautiful work.
Thanks. I enjoy working with aluminum, it can sometimes be labor intensive but you can get by with inexpensive tools. I tend to use what I have around. Helps to have a well stocked junkbox. The flathead started life as a cpu heatsink.
When I see engines, I see artwork.
heatsink.JPG
piston.JPG

My dad was a great small scale engineer; building his own metal lather and wood working lathe from scrap and washing machine parts!
He then made a number of static steam engines; including a double acting twin cylinder unit, which were working models (sadly all given away / upcycled or stolen when his shop was infiltrated by scum bags).

He also built a number of scale model war galleons from original ships plans; the largest of which stood about 4'0'' tall.
He would spend hours steaming wooden strips to cover the hull structure. Also turned the cannons and rigging blocks on his lathe.
The one below is all I have of his after he passed away. A cherished thing for me; but not for the cat that got in the rigging!

IMG_1397.JPEG

IMG_1399.JPEG

This one was relatively small compared to the others.

My dad was a great small scale engineer; building his own metal lather and wood working lathe from scrap and washing machine parts!
He then made a number of static steam engines; including a double acting twin cylinder unit, which were working models (sadly all given away / upcycled or stolen when his shop was infiltrated by scum bags).

He also built a number of scale model war galleons from original ships plans; the largest of which stood about 4'0'' tall.
He would spend hours steaming wooden strips to cover the hull structure. Also turned the cannons and rigging blocks on his lathe.
The one below is all I have of his after he passed away. A cherished thing for me; but not for the cat that got in the rigging!

View attachment 232025
View attachment 232026
This one was relatively small compared to the others.
Your father was certainly gifted. I love my cats, but somethings don't mix well with them. Beautiful ship.

field.jpg

Folks on a couple of other boards (gasp!) gave me some ideas for this space on the farm diorama, and a couple of other small areas.

quarry1.jpg

At the front edge of the layout, I carved out a spot for a quarry. The base is 2 inch styrofoam blue board so carving it was pretty straight forward.

quarry2.jpg

Once roughed in, the styrofoam was covered with a layer of plaster of paris to allow for some detail carving and tinting with watercolor washes.

quarry3.jpg

The quarry will be flooded which is why it was abandoned. After the washes dried, I added some bottom debris and aquatic plants. Now I'm waiting on Santa-zon to drop off my epoxy and tint for the water.

It'll be surrounded by a neglected, rusty dilapidated chain link fence. There'll be an abandoned rock crusher inside the fence and (if I can find the right figures) a couple of kids sneaking through the fence to go swimming. Not that I know anybody that'd do something like that...

Another project that will be tucked into a small area is a family cemetery. I've printed up the headstones with actual family names and dates and found a really neat "hairpin" wrought iron fence on Ebay to go around it. Pics as the situation develops. (Sorry...)

Finally, I'm working a a smokehouse to go back by the woodlot. Stone foundation and log structure, but in good repair and still in use. I have an idea or two on fashioning a wisp of smoke coming out of the chimney, remains to be seen if it works.

Back