Winter wheels

Raymond

likes to play with old motorbikes
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Have been spending a bit of time looking to see what's out there. Surfing the web. The idea obviously is buy sumfing to use over the winter to save cherished bikes from damage, salt, corrosion and in general adverse effects of winter use.

Thought the ideal would be maybe a smallish trail bike or commuter, cheap of course, rugged or at least not too much to break.

But haven't found the ideal candidate yet. The cheap 125 is an elusive machine. There's not a lot of anything around for less than two grand. There's things like cheap Triumph Sprints or Suzuki GSXRs but I don't think an old sports bike is quite what is needed? Looked at a few nice CB500s but they are almost too good. Look like they would crash well though.

Suppose I could slather the W800 in ACF etc and just try not to worry too much. But we're talking about Pretty Little Polly Perkins here and I don't think I can bring meself . . .

Have been spending a bit of time looking to see what's out there. Surfing the web. The idea obviously is buy sumfing to use over the winter to save cherished bikes from damage, salt, corrosion and in general adverse effects of winter use.

Thought the ideal would be maybe a smallish trail bike or commuter, cheap of course, rugged or at least not too much to break.

But haven't found the ideal candidate yet. The cheap 125 is an elusive machine. There's not a lot of anything around for less than two grand. There's things like cheap Triumph Sprints or Suzuki GSXRs but I don't think an old sports bike is quite what is needed? Looked at a few nice CB500s but they are almost too good. Look like they would crash well though.

Suppose I could slather the W800 in ACF etc and just try not to worry too much. But we're talking about Pretty Little Polly Perkins here and I don't think I can bring meself . . .
Being in Montreal, we (motorcyclists) don't contemplate such things, what with temperatures down to -25*C or lower and snowfalls that range from 10 to 30 cms + at a time... but all that said, me thinks that a small-bore four-stroke trailbike might do well for you. Not sure what is currently offered in the UK, but how about a Yamaha XT225 or a Honda CRF 250L or 300L? Pretty resilient bikes. I'd slather it in some rust inhibitor, run it for the winter, clean and sell it in the spring. Probably manage to break even or maybe even profit slightly from such an undertaking.

Came so close to pulling the trigger on a 1998 CB500 yesterday. Had the phone in me hand, number typed in ready to call the Seller. But I don't want a garage full of bikes. Been there, too much hassle. Insurance, road tax, MoT inspections, servicing, plus when you're trying to work on one bike, the others all get in the way. Unless you push them out into the rain. Besides, how often will I actually be motivated to get out there, even for short trips to the shops when the weather is dismal? Often enough to justify another bike?

If I'm honest, Polly - W800SE - is past the first flush of youth. Eight years and 34,000 miles and she's looking, uhm, used. Makes a lot of sense to keep the XS and the RE away from the salt and ride the Kawasaki through the winter. Spray protection first, WD40, ACF, wash the bike when I can, but not obsessively, que sera sera.

There's a new disc and a chain & sprocket set on the shelf. I'll need to fit the disc as soon as but the chain & sprocket can go on in the spring after Winter has done its worst. Might even inspire a makeover for the W800.

Come to think of it, got a spare, dented old W800 tank - devise a colour scheme, approach Mr Neil Wetherley* to apply some paint. Fit the tank next year, maybe new wheel rims. Rejuvenate.

Got me thinking. Maybe makes more sense to use the garage, do stuff with the current fleet, than rush out and buy another bike?

* Did the XS2 scheme on Miss November.

Came so close to pulling the trigger on a 1998 CB500 yesterday. Had the phone in me hand, number typed in ready to call the Seller. But I don't want a garage full of bikes. Been there, too much hassle. Insurance, road tax, MoT inspections, servicing, plus when you're trying to work on one bike, the others all get in the way. Unless you push them out into the rain. Besides, how often will I actually be motivated to get out there, even for short trips to the shops when the weather is dismal? Often enough to justify another bike?

If I'm honest, Polly - W800SE - is past the first flush of youth. Eight years and 34,000 miles and she's looking, uhm, used. Makes a lot of sense to keep the XS and the RE away from the salt and ride the Kawasaki through the winter. Spray protection first, WD40, ACF, wash the bike when I can, but not obsessively, que sera sera.

There's a new disc and a chain & sprocket set on the shelf. I'll need to fit the disc as soon as but the chain & sprocket can go on in the spring after Winter has done its worst. Might even inspire a makeover for the W800.

Come to think of it, got a spare, dented old W800 tank - devise a colour scheme, approach Mr Neil Wetherley* to apply some paint. Fit the tank next year, maybe new wheel rims. Rejuvenate.

Got me thinking. Maybe makes more sense to use the garage, do stuff with the current fleet, than rush out and buy another bike?

* Did the XS2 scheme on Miss November.
That sounds like a conclusion I would come to. I've thought for some time that I'd like a big mile eating road bike. Then I thought about all the space I don't have and all of it they eat up. AND, I have a job and very little vacation, and... and... and... It doesn't make any sense. In June, the XS650 did a 1,000 mile trip with no problem. So.... If you're looking for support for your decision, you have it!

No matter how beat up and pathetic I always cringe about subjecting a bike to the salt baths.
Perhaps an electric bicycle for cold weather trips to the shops? a bit of peddling helps keep cold at bay. They don't take up much room, often deals are found in the fall. That's true for neglected motorbikes also. ;^)
1664371735442.jpeg

Last edited:
Perhaps an electric bicycle for cold weather trips to the shops? a bit of peddling helps keep cold at bay. They don't take up much room, often deals are found in the fall.
Good idea, Gary, but cycling, No.

I was a keen cyclist in me yoof but the problem is modern traffic - car drivers these days just seem incapable of dealing with cyclists. Some people will 'queue' for miles behind a bicycle, sitting right behind and too close, which is annoying and off-putting for the cyclist and everybody else too. Others, particularly van drivers, delivery people, etcetera, will push past in stupid places leaving no clearance. Most people I know who cycle have been knocked off their bikes at least once. Being on a bicycle and dealing with the hazards of traffic is bad enough in clear summer weather. Don't feel like subjecting myself to that in cold, wet, dark, slippery conditions.

I feel much more vulnerable on a bicycle than on a motorsickle, especially when conditions - weather, traffic, low light - are ah, sub-optimal.

S'not cold or wet that deters me from winter riding, well alright it does, so much as the salt and the pain it causes my trusty steed.

If only WE could catch all the keepers before they get left out in the elements to rot away!Or the ones that seem to be a good preservation candidate and you pull the seat and tank when you get there and old blue scotchlocks with odd wires everywhere.Yikes,they lied.😱Lol

I considered another early 350 Honda for one last year round ride for the same purpose/s’ as Ray and I have to admit the what,where and how much do I wanna dive in syndrome is on my mind.Aging gracefully,I suppose.

While I'm partial, just about any of the Honda twins, 175-500cc, of any vintage would do, don't get me wrong, not saying other marques wouldn't be as good, just have more lifelong experience with Hondas. Pretty reliable, easy to work on and tune.
Only trouble is some of the older ones owners think of as "Classic" and have them priced as such, but later model Rebels here in the states are pretty readily available and generally inexpensive.

KZ305 are nice little runabouts still found cheap now and then. A super low first allows smooth takeoffs on slippery pavement. Often left for dead, the ignition coils were fragile and would let their smoke out. An easy fix. ;^)

Think i have post this stuff before or you may already know and use it.

If this is as good as the lanolin products we get here in Oz, Then this should be good shit. I would buy it is liquid form and put it in a spray bottle. Put the bike as high as possable and spray liberally all underneath, the wheels and as much over the bike as possible.

The only thing would be to test some first. The lanolin products we have here stays soft. meaning it does collect dust and a wipe over with a cloth soaked/covered in lanolin oil will wipe off the dirt and re-coat. I use it on my bikes as a rust prev-enter and also as a cleaning shine product on my Tanks and tins. It also works as de-greaser and a water dispersment

https://www.marineco.co.uk/product/fluid-film-products/

Haha - could have bought gallons of the stuff, ideal if I was treating a rusty old fishing trawler. But I think a good spray ought to give the bike a fighting chance? I'll let you know how Polly survives the Winter.

Think i have post this stuff before or you may already know and use it.

If this is as good as the lanolin products we get here in Oz, Then this should be good shit. I would buy it is liquid form and put it in a spray bottle. Put the bike as high as possable and spray liberally all underneath, the wheels and as much over the bike as possible.

The only thing would be to test some first. The lanolin products we have here stays soft. meaning it does collect dust and a wipe over with a cloth soaked/covered in lanolin oil will wipe off the dirt and re-coat. I use it on my bikes as a rust prev-enter and also as a cleaning shine product on my Tanks and tins. It also works as de-greaser and a water dispersment

https://www.marineco.co.uk/product/fluid-film-products/
Interesting tip.Had no idea.Thanks

I cringe when I think of putting a bike on the road after a salty winter. I usually won’t even ride in the spring until we’ve had a good rain to clean the roads. I would wash my truck religiously after a snowfall and salting and it still managed to rust. Funny how when I was growing up on the Gulf Coast I never thought twice about riding on the beach and through the surf.

Back