Winter YouTube fun!

MaxPete

Lucille, Betty, Demi, Gretel & Big Sue money pits.
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All:

I have really been struggling with this frickin’ winter - so grey and gloomy and my work is driving me into the ground. I take refuge by living vicariously through the motorcycling adventures of others and here is a little list of the best biker channels I have found:
  1. Old Guy on a Bike - my good buddy Jim C-G from Newfoundland mounted on a big ST1300 pulling a cute little MiniMate trailer has produced his first video of 2020. If you enjoy biking adventures, you’ll love watching Jim’s excellent videos about travelling, camping, cooking on the road etc.
  2. Itchy Boots - Dutch lady Noraly Schoenemaker is travelling all over the world on a Royal Enfield Himalayan. She is happy bright, positive, gutsy and an extremely talented videographer and rider.
  3. Royal Jordanian - Raymondo introduced me to this channel. RJ rides a supermotard in busy London UK traffic and while a bit hair-raising, it gives me a road fix when I need it.
  4. Exeter Rider - a very nice British guy who gets around on a modern Honda 750 and does great commentaries on his rides.
  5. Delboy‘s Garage - also a Brit and a very clever mechanic who imparts lots of great know-how and tips on bike repairs and maintenance.
  6. Stuart Fillingham - another UK biker who is an ex-police officer. He is big into Triumphs and the new R-E Interceptor and does good reviews of bikes, gear and accessories plus I find his accent intriguing. I wish I could figure out where he is from in the UK.
  7. The Missenden Flyer - a very perky Englishman who tests high end bikes and gear and is relentlessly positive. Good for the spirit during the dark months.
I have always had a huge thing for the 1977-83 BMW R100RS (in school, when everyone was ogling Farrah Fawcett I had a poster of an RS on my ceiling) and I have found two superb channels that cover the 70s-80s airhead bimmers extremely well.

8. Brooks Airhead Garage - slightly dry commentary and no music but extremely thorough and clear how-to’s on stripping and totally rejuvenating an airhead.
9. Boxer 2-Valve - basically an infomercial on the very high quality aftermarket products for airheads sold by the Plam family of South Carolina. However, they combine the low-key selling with very high quality videos of repairing and rebuilding old bimmers and I really enjoy watching their thorough and totally correct approach.
Someday, I’m gonna buy one of those bikes and I will know exactly how to fix it and where to get the parts.

While not related to motorcycles per-se, I like watching the South Main Auto channel which chronicles the adventures of Eric O. in his nice 3-bay garage in Avoca NY. Eric is a superb mechanic and a funny guy and I have learned an awful lot from his very well done videos detailing repairs to average every day cars and trucks. There are a couple of other car-related channels I watch:

- Mustie1 - a New England guy (NH, I think) who salvages and restores old machinery and brings it back to life. He is an amazingly talented and good humoured mechanic with a shop to die for.

- CTs Garage. Now, CT is a nice young guy who is just learning about tools and how to work on vehicles. Old VWs are his thing and sometimes he is pretty ham-fisted, but he is always happy and lots of more experienced folks are encouraging him with tips and advice. For instance, I think that I may have finally gotten him to use the friggin’ shop manual he owns rather than simply busting out the hammer and can of WD40 every time he starts a job. Sometimes a little hard to watch, but always entertaining.

I am also a big history buff and there are two stand-out channels that I watch nearly every day:

- The History Guy - a nice chap based in St. Louis MO who gives extremely good 5-10 minute briefings on interesting historical events plus I like the fact that he doesn’t leave Canada out of his well-balanced videos;

- Drachinifels - naval history of battles, individual ships, personalities and even ship's cats in 5-30 minute bites. His monologue is informative, and the photos are very interesting on a wide range of topics. By the way, I have no idea what “Drachinifels” means.

Anyhow - if anyone has any other good channels, please stick them in a post and we can share to get through the crappy weather.

I’m off to do my GD&#$@## income tax return now.

EDIT: taxes are done and I’m getting a refund - yip-yahhhh!

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
Hey Pete..
I subscribe to the South Main Auto Channel...Eric is an awesome mechanic and deals with the same rust belt issues we do,I have learned many tricks than I use daily in my own tire and brake shop...and he keep it simple for the not so skilled that they can learn automotive skills the right way.

I subscribe to Pacific Mike. While he works exclusively on Harley’s, he operates a repair shop out of his home. I find his videos to be very thorough how to’s. He is about to embark on a full blown bike build. He hasn’t revealed all the details but it’s going to have an original HD VL springer front end.

Sounds cool!

BTW - I just updated my original post with a couple more excellent channels.

This Old Tony. Mostly machining and welding Very talented and he's hilarious.

Acorn to Arabella. Two guys in the northeast building a large wooden sailboat. They're actually harvesting the oaks off their property to build it.

Shade Tree Surgeon. Riding, wrenching and drinking. Mostly entertaining.... sometimes irritating.

Dust. A collection of Sci-Fi shorts.

Mark Felton Productions. Military history.

Stories of Bike. Excellent stuff from around the world.

Motorcyclist Magazine.

YESSS - Mark Felton is another excellent channel I watch - and I will check out the others Jim!

Also - Chasing the Hook - an excellent channel about a great young family who have resurrected an old catamaran and are enjoying on the US NW coast near Seattle.

Also - Chasing the Hook - an excellent channel about a great young family who have resurrected an old catamaran and are enjoying on the US NW coast near Seattle.
Yeah... if they ever get off their ass and edit all the video they shoot. :doh:

I do browse the YouTube for interesting things to watch, one of my early likes, Tublecain MrPete222. I then discovered AgentJZ, very very interesting post about all things jet engines. Dave Hum for Banjo music, Master Milo because he and his pal are restoring a Russian Tank. Among a lot of others Tewster, tiny bike to Alaska, I could go on but I have some stuff to watch. Strange how other people’s lives seem more interesting than our own.
PS Itchy Boots is very pretty.

I have follow'd Itchy Boots for some time... from her start from India..to home …. to cross'n the pond from bottom of S/America to Alaska.. think she's in Peru now.. on a R/Enfield Himmy. U tube has several .motorcyclist trave'n the world....
If you have Netflix.... watch " The Motorbike show "... a short (6?) series of motorcycles and the scene in England.

I have follow'd Itchy Boots for some time... from her start from India..to home …. to cross'n the pond from bottom of S/America to Alaska.. think she's in Peru now.. on a R/Enfield Himmy. U tube has several .motorcyclist trave'n the world....
If you have Netflix.... watch " The Motorbike show "... a short (6?) series of motorcycles and the scene in England.

Yup - watched the Motorbike show last year. Too bad they didn’t continue with it.

OK Sportsfans. - I have checked out “This Old Tony” suggested by Jim and it is truly is a good one. This guy is an expert machinist - AND he is hilarious too.

I’m working my way through the others.

Last edited:
OK Sportsfans. - I have checked out “This Old Tony” suggested by Jim and it is truly is a good one. This guy is an expert machinist - AND he is hilarious too.

I’m working my way through the others.
Speaking of Tony, anyone here watch Mister Chris over on the AvE channel? Real interesting fellow

I share some subscriptions with some of you.

1. I love History Guy

2. Pacific Mike. Yes I’ll sit and watch someone maintain a a Harley.

3. Shadetree Surgeon. I’m addicted to this one. I shook his hand a few months ago. Young folks into motorcycles and good beer.

Here are more:

4. Andy’s Motorcycle Obsession. Heavy in XS1100 and Ducati 900 content. Tasmania motorcycle culture.

5. The Doghouse. Custom bikes. Heavy in Royal Enfield.

6. Revival Cycles. Custom motorcycle business and parts. How tos.

7. MCrider. Rider training. Highly recommend if you’re on the street.

Back