Wire gauge size differences.

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I’m wiring in an m-unit and have a question about wire gauge.
I have some small led lights. Not all of the gauges are the same. I have a wiring kit from Revival to make a harness.

My question is, should I run all the same size all the way back to the m-unit or will going from the lights smaller gauge to main harness larger be an issue?

I’m not concerned about over heating the larger, but will there be a continuity or wattage / voltage issue?

I’d rather make a harness all the same size where I can. Other then the battery, ground, and starter, I’d assume the sizes for the lights are all the same.

I went from smaller to larger gauge on both my voltmeter and my Pamco, and it didn't seem to have any adverse effect. Both have been in use this way for years.

Damn 5 your quick as usual. Thanks for reply. It’s always those tiny technical details that screw you. Much obliged. 🤙 Gonna save me some headaches.

Your after market components have wires that are safely sized for the max current they will draw. You should be safe. The XS harness was sized to "best practice" 40 years ago.

I’m not concerned about over heating the larger, but will there be a continuity or wattage / voltage issue?
Retired electrical engineer here - there will be no continuity, wattage, or voltage issues when transitioning from one wire gauge to a larger or smaller gauge on it's own, assuming the connections are done properly. If you use crimp connectors and mistakenly crimp on the insulation, for example, or if you solder them and the solder hasn't heated up enough or if one of the wires is oily or dirty, then you may have issues. I have seen these and many more ways people have caused problems by doing the work sloppily. Which ever way you make connections, do it in a way with which you are familiar and which you know it's done properly.

I’ve stripped the entire thing. Installing an M-unit and redoing everything.
Hi Gcraay, do you have a wiring diagram you could share. I am doing the same thing to my Welsh Flat Tracker Revival bike (See build thread).

Hi Gcraay, do you have a wiring diagram you could share. I am doing the same thing to my Welsh Flat Tracker Revival bike (See build thread).
Diagram? I don’t need no stinkin diagram. Ha, I’m still not sure where I’m running anything. So far I’m winging It. I’ve watched one revival cycles video on it. I get the basics. Just trying to figure it out. Doing the little bits I can until I’m ready to get the wiring loom all together. Just looking to see if anyone has any good ideas on moving the coils.

Back