Wiring electrical

Torin215

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey is there anybody out there in the Philly bucks county area good with wiring up the pma and ignition. I have tried everything and have failed. It’s an 81 and the parts are from mikes xs. Willing to pay.

What is the specific problem you're experiencing? Mikes XS Charge PMA should be pretty straight forward.
pma.PNG

I think the main problem is the ignition system the electronic advancer dual output coil.
Do you have a fully charged battery? Have you made sure your grounds aren’t covered in paint and getting good bare metal contact?

This bike is a total rebuild into a hardtail. I have tried every diagram I could find I have power to everything but no spark.

I think the main problem is the ignition system the electronic advancer dual output coil.

Your manual tells you how to test a coil.

Do you have a manual????

If you have a PMA and an 81 bike then the factory TCI ignition has been replaced...........What has it been replaced with????

Pictures would help. Show us your Stator/rotor and what's under those little chrome covers on the sides of the head?

Single word answers with no expansion on information to questions makes it very difficult for people to help.

Everyone on here are here at their own expense, (meaning time), and are only to glad to help...................help those who want to help, by giving as much information relating to the bike, what has been done to it and what you have done to get to the position where your are and needing help.

If your asked for pics then make an effort..........pics often show a problem your not aware of and also helps us as most can identify whats in them or could see something that raises another question..................So help us help you

Hi Guys I see that this an old thread. I have a problem like this. I just purchased and wired the Mikesxs PMA and electronic advance. I wired as shown above and by the instructions that you are able to print off of the Mikes website. I have power to the coils and I do not have any spark from the coils to the plugs. It was just installed and I have not ran a battery to it just the capacitor. I am wondering if maybe I got a bad coil? I have read that maybe I need to first use a battery to try and start the system? Any help would be great. My bike is a 77 xs 650d. all the original wiring has been removed and I have wired this system by the book.

The e-advancer does not like a capacitor for power source. A small SLA battery may solve your issue, but likely more to current problem.

would it be ok to hook a battery up to the system while the capacitor is still wired? Or would that be bad?

when reading through the thread I did see some things on the timing. When installing the PMA kit and the e advancer I paid no attention to the timing. I did follow the instructions on making the marks on TDC and half inch to the right. I took the original parts out points and weights. I than installed the e advancer. Could doing any of that take away the spark? Or should there be spark no matter what is happening with the timing?

Should be spark regardless of whether it's properly timed, but may not run.

That's what I thought. I have reached out to Mikes to see if I can get some assistance. I think I may have gotten a bad coil. I will try and run a battery to see if that will help with the spark issue. Thank you for the help.

Back