Wiring fun anyone?

Sandgroper

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Gday everyone, just wondering if anybody has had a brake light that slightly glows even when brake lever and pedal are not depressed.
After a couple of days wondering why a new gauge of mine was going mental I worked out that it was the metal behind it where it was mounted had 3.7 mv causing the gauge to freak out, then I remembered the very slight light glow from the rear brake light that has always been there. All this is when the ignition is on. I tried disconnecting brake wires but it had no effect. I took the handle bar switches off too but that had no effect either - brake light still glowing very lightly and there was still 3.7 mv on handle bars. Has anyone any idea where the short might be coming from? I’m sure it’s something obvious. Thanks heaps.
SG.

Because i'm, sycick............psychic

I have the same tower on my bike, (80SG but over here they were a points model), and a friend has a 78SE. The red Brake/Tail light warning light comes on when the key is turned on and the light goes out when the engine starts. My friends bike, and on mine, the red light can shine faintly when the bike is idling. Rev it up and it goes out.

Now years ago i read that, that light, is also a charging/alternator warning light. There is nothing written in manuals or any indication on any wiring diagram that shows this. ...........Some people have questioned this.............. I have no proof that is so but for what ever reason it happens, the light comes on with the key, goes out when the bike is started and will glow faintly when the bike is at idle when there is low charge from the charging system.

That light is isolated from any metal, (should be), as it is encased in the light socket that is shrouded in the rubber damper that slots into the plastic gauge housing. No metal contact.

Your 3,7 volt problem is being caused by something else. need to do a continuity test of the loom to track it down.

The suspense is killing me.
Don't ya just love a good mystery? I'll not spoil Skull's fun; but a clue perhaps
79_XS650SF&2F (1).PNG

Gday everyone, just wondering if anybody has had a brake light that slightly glows even when brake lever and pedal are not depressed.
After a couple of days wondering why a new gauge of mine was going mental I worked out that it was the metal behind it where it was mounted had 3.7 mv causing the gauge to freak out, then I remembered the very slight light glow from the rear brake light that has always been there. All this is when the ignition is on. I tried disconnecting brake wires but it had no effect. I took the handle bar switches off too but that had no effect either - brake light still glowing very lightly and there was still 3.7 mv on handle bars. Has anyone any idea where the short might be coming from? I’m sure it’s something obvious. Thanks heaps.
SG.
So, to be honest, I was thinking another culprit: try unplugging the "light checker" and see if that makes a difference; it is wired differently on those year models.

Thanks Skull. Very informative as usual. It’s good to maybe rule that taillight out as the culprit and I say maybe because until the problem is solved, anything goes.
Also cheers JP, yes I did actually unplug that light checker and my dash lights went out also. I did see a post in the tech section about bridging the blue wires at light checker harness so I’ll be reading more after work today. I would be keen to get rid of all that stuff like reserve lighting box and light checker. I’m pretty sure I’ll know when my lights go out when my screaming begins anyway.
Thanks again gang!

Thanks Skull. Very informative as usual. It’s good to maybe rule that taillight out as the culprit and I say maybe because until the problem is solved, anything goes.
Also cheers JP, yes I did actually unplug that light checker and my dash lights went out also. I did see a post in the tech section about bridging the blue wires at light checker harness so I’ll be reading more after work today. I would be keen to get rid of all that stuff like reserve lighting box and light checker. I’m pretty sure I’ll know when my lights go out when my screaming begins anyway.
Thanks again gang!

Maybe that the red light doesnt have anything to do with the charging system, but disconnecting the light checker will mean when the taillight goes out you wont know about it until that car rear ends you and says they didn't see the brake light........ or see the headlight, (daytime), because it wasn't working when they turned in front of you...........But if it is checks out faulty then remove it.

Didn't notice you are in WA, is your bike an import or an Aussie sold bike

Maybe that the red light doesnt have anything to do with the charging system, but disconnecting the light checker will mean when the taillight goes out you wont know about it until that car rear ends you and says they didn't see the brake light........ or see the headlight, (daytime), because it wasn't working when they turned in front of you...........But if it is checks out faulty then remove it.

Didn't notice you are in WA, is your bike an import or an Aussie sold bike
IDK, I just read your post about the 78-79 stuff and compared schematics to <78. I can read a schematic OK, but my contemporaneous knowledge of model year differences does not compare.

That’s a valid point Skull. It would be a bad day to end up as a hood ornament on someone’s car or…truck🤕
I will focus on that wiring loom and birds nest in headlight bucket. I’m interested in learning that continuity test for shorts that was mentioned so I’ll try and dig it up in the tech section?I do have a multimeter so I’ll give it a crack and thanks to JP’s posted wiring diagram (very good btw)
As far as I know Skull it isn’t an import. It’s got the Aussie vin plate with matching engine/frame numbers. I bought it out of SA. What a bargain, it’s only cost me three times what I paid for it and my sanity.

Attachments

• 8A6A3BB5-C8B4-44C2-91EF-31803FE9BFF3.jpeg
    8A6A3BB5-C8B4-44C2-91EF-31803FE9BFF3.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 81
Those wiring diagrams are excellent, I just copy and paste from Tech, member Jayel must have spent many hours producing them in color - Cheers!

Hi all I’m still having no luck tracing the short. When I disconnect the brown wire from regulator the short disappears. I fit a new regulator to it and same deal so going back from there what would I test next do you think? I’ve checked for obvious broken/bare wires along the harness and inside headlight bucket. Can anyone please tell me how to do the continuity test for shorts with a multi meter please? I’d like to check every connection on the bike. Thanks

this what your after
https://www.xs650.com/threads/continuity-testing-made-easy.49917/

Diagrams are good, but cautions are advised. I think that one doesn't have any faults but your bike being an Auzzie bike it will have a couple of small differences.

Your ignition switch will have 4 wires comming from it, meaning your ignition has an extra position for for a park light. The bike should have an on/off switch, (right bar switch housing), as well. and a Pass/Flash switch on the left bar switch housing. Non of this will be on the diagram

Last edited:
Back