Wiring Harness

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
So. I am painting my frame and my tank green. I just bought a new wiring harness form mikes and it is black and large. I am going with a custom bratsyle look so I am lowering the seat frame a little and going with a peanut custom tank.

I am concerned about the harness looking all janky hanging everywhere. I am going to run a battery and probably going to locate it on below the swing arm in some kind of custom box.

What is the best way to hide the harness? I know that tcbros have a round oil tank looking thing that will fit stuff, but I am not sure how well that works or what. . . Does that thing come with instructions? Does anyone have any creative ideas? I don't have enough room under the tank to hide anything.

Also, I am running the electronic ignition.

I think I can run some custom cables for the headlight if I can stuff everything in some kind of box in the back. I haven't bought a headlight yet, but I am sure it will be some kind of aftermarket chrome job.

I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks everyone.

I would rather not have to resort to zip ties to the frame after doing the paint job all (hopefully) nice like :D

In fact, it's probably simpler to do your own harness - since you won't be dealing with useless things like auto-turn-signal canceller, auto-headlight-fail-dip-something, or any number of "isn't this cool?" widgets the Yamaha engineers thought up to impress each other that tripled the size of the loom. The connections for you'll either have to hack out of your stock wiring harness, or leave hanging about.

From zero wiring on one of these bikes (aside from handlebar control looms coming into the headlight, just using crimp connectors, i could probably wire it up in an hour. That's with turn signals, starter, kill switch, headlight, taillight, parking lights.

A lot of people over think electrics (a small amount under think), and start feeling like it's impossible. Just break it down to each circuit you want to have, and what it does, and it's simple. Unlike Engineers, we're not concerned with saving pennies per install, and the difference between $60 in wiring/connectors and $70 in the same is not a concern. (i'm pulling numbers out of thin air with 2 seconds of thinking about it, so i guarantee they're not accurate, unless that whole psychic thing i sent away for from the back of the comic book is kicking in)

I would rather not have to resort to zip ties to the frame after doing the paint job all (hopefully) nice like :D

there is always going thru the frame tubes to hide wiring... not something I would want to try with a full harness, but if you run minimal wiring (rolling your own, so to speak :laugh:) it's a lot easier

Back