Working out the stator things...

SpookyWizard

The real magic is that I haven't blown myself up!
Reaction score
Wiring is giving me a headache, I've never done it before but looking through forum threads and YouTube stuff I've got a basic idea on a barebones wiring setup but I'm stumped at figuring out my components and if I've got the right bits or need to but different, so I've got these
that came with the non running 76 bobber, the guy said he wasn't sure about wiring but made an attempt...

I've deleted the E-start and will just have kick, being a points model is that the wrong reg/rec as my stator has the extra wire (I'm not actually sure what the second wore is for)

What are my hest options? Cheers

Attachments

• 16844422593762181287477879910179.jpg
    16844422593762181287477879910179.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 47
You have a later model stator, the one from the electronic ignition model. That oblong black part mounted to it above the brushes is the electronic ignition "trigger". It also looks like you have the correct combined reg/rec for that stator (finned aluminum part below stator). Since you're running points, you can remove that electronic ignition pick-up if you like, or just leave it there (not connected to anything). The item on the lower far left is the starter safety relay. If it's '77 or older, it would just be the starter relay. If from a '78 or newer, it would have two relays in it, another for the headlight. Since you've eliminated the starter, you don't need that component. The yellow wire coming out of the stator was there to power that relay (or relays). Since you won't be using it, don't connect the yellow wire to anything, just cap it off.

You have a later model stator, the one from the electronic ignition model. That oblong black part mounted to it above the brushes is the electronic ignition "trigger". It also looks like you have the correct combined reg/rec for that stator (finned aluminum part below stator). Since you're running points, you can remove that electronic ignition pick-up if you like, or just leave it there (not connected to anything). The item on the lower far left is the starter safety relay. If it's '77 or older, it would just be the starter relay. If from a '78 or newer, it would have two relays in it, another for the headlight. Since you've eliminated the starter, you don't need that component. The yellow wire coming out of the stator was there to power that relay (or relays). Since you won't be using it, don't connect the yellow wire to anything, just cap it off.
Amazing cheers! Appreciate the response as it gives me alot to get started with 😁

Back