ORIGIN_G80

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I recently acquired my very first motorcycle. A 1980 Yamaha XS650. Don't know anything else about only what the title says. No keys. No idea how many miles on it since speedy/techo is missing. No idea when was the last time it ran or even started. Somewhere along the way someone tried to make it into a bobber so i think i would like to keep it that way. I like the look of. Add a seat and you have a pretty cool motorcycle but before I start throwing money in it my only question is, is it worth saving or just parting it and moving on to something else? Please take a look at these photos and let me know what you think.

Honest opinions are appreciated

Thanks and stay safe.

eEUnlgp.jpg

g4y23I0.jpg

eY6Y1Ad.jpg

6VIG93h.jpg

qGINB0i.jpg

nc4fLQ6.jpg

Last edited:
Anything's fixable. I guess it depends on how much money you want to throw at it. Since the frame's all hacked up, you'll need to buy a hardtail kit for it. Don't think you'll ever get a suspension back there. Does it run?

Anything's fixable. I guess it depends on how much money you want to throw at it. Since the frame's all hacked up, you'll need to buy a hardtail kit for it. Don't think you'll ever get a suspension back there. Does it run?[/QUOTEI
I have no idea if it runs. Pretty much all of the wires are either cut/missing or disconnected. Cant find the positive cable to see if theres even power to it.

Just speaking for myself, unless I had some kind of emotional attachment to it, I wouldn't touch it. If you want to tear it apart and hardtail it, it's definitely doable. Knowing it's a runner would help the wallet though. Guess it depends on what your goal is.

I hate to be a naysayer.....but I get some serious basket-case vibes from those pictures. Could it be fixed? Like Jim said - sure.
But you say this is your first motorcycle? Hmm. There are a lot of really good build threads on this forum that can give you a flavor for what the process of restoring/modding a bike is actually like. It’s totally doable but you should come to terms with what it’s gonna take to do it and what your goals are for it. I’m sure your comment was not meant to be taken literally, but if your expectation was to just “add a seat and have a pretty cool motorcycle”, you are probably going to be disappointed with what is in store for you. If you’re up for a project and willing to learn and put the time in....then it could be worth it. I get the impression from your post you just want a bike to ride....in which case there are probably way better options for starting points. Just my :twocents:

Yup, as said above, anything can be fixed. But that looks like too many unknown unknowns for a first motorbike. Probably big spending needed. Likely you would need to replace the fuel tank and the electrics. Frame kit and welding. Engine rebuild?

If you fancy owning and riding an XS650, excellent choice BTW, find a better one and maybe keep that for spares?

Hope you didn't pay too much . . .

Yeah, I tend to tell people to buy the best one they can when it comes to vintage bikes and cars. Sure that $1K MGB runs, but that $4K one has no rust and runs, you'll spend more than $3K fixing the cheap one.

I picked up my XS for $100, basically a rolling basketcase but the frame wasn't pre hacked. As of now I've got about $5K in it, it took 2 years to get it "done", then it broke and got back burnered for almost a year. I am a machinist by trade and did everything except lace wheels, powder the frame and bore cylinders, if you can't do a majority of the work the cost will atleast double.tmp_31320-20170219_140145-1058265497.jpg 20180822_164117~01~02.jpg

If you have experience with working on engines then my approach would be to first test the engines compression using the kicker. If good then make a frame to support the engine on a work bench and strip it down to see if all is kosher inside. Engine experience is key here. You could then consider getting a second hand frame to rebuild the bike on, or if you are a welder or have a welder friend you could repair the frame to bobber standard cheaply.

You have a tank that looks cleanable with acid or electrolysis. Both carbs are there but will need a refurb. The electrical system will need an overhaul including the alternator. You will need an ignition system like a Boyer. Brakes need to be overhauled. Front forks may need to be rechromed/ground. New tires etc etc.

My experience based on me doing the labor and mechanicals suggest you will probably have to spend at least $1000 - $1500 in the process assuming the engine is good. So maybe the suggestion to buy something better to start with is quite realistic. But if engines and mechanicals are your hobby then..........

It's a " parts bike "..... with enough $$$$$ it could be returned to it's formal showroom condition. Elbow grease will have to be purchased in gallon containers.... a donor frame will have to be found.. plugs turned... and a very good welder needs to in the picture. You'll need a better parts bike to return this parts bike back to the road. Or continue with the hardtail look... which would save $$$$ and time.....
We dink around with this things because it's a hobby.. it's fun.. ( most of the time ) and we'r wealthy and can afford to spend spend spend. ( ok. 2 of 3 are true ).
I have spent $$$$ on something that's worth $$$ after I'm done... many times.. and hope to do it again... ;)

Hello @ORIGIN_G80 and welcome from Virginia. I do hope when you wrote that you acquired this bike that it was given to you. I see a metric butt-ton of work ahead for anyone who tackles this build. Do let us know what you finally decide. There are many people here who can give you advice once a build begins.

Hi speaking in general terms Paul pretty much nailed it above # 12
When i was a teenager many I knew bought used bikes in far more better shape than this
Most of them was working with their hands .And had the possibility to lend tools and shop machines from where they worked.
Most of them never got the bikes running Engine problems mostly.
Some after a year or so bought a newer machine and had it for a couple of years some are still riding.

So if we are talking " Worth it " in money sense .The answer is " NO "
Unless prices increases in he future

Worth it in other aspects :Maybe if you have the tools and interest somewhere too do it .A perfect running bike wont give the same sensations
As something you do yourself.
Having rock and roll on the stereo doing things make something happen. see the thing comes back to life.
Looking for parts perhaps. manufacture some yourself.. I suppose you are not working as a Accountant since you went for it.
Hauled it home
I have been riding have two 1980 ..And have had a very " Low budget " journey ..Very low cost riding for 35 years
But I went for low mileage running bikes with other problems bought cheap.
I have tried to keep them running not buying anything and not new parts . If not absolutely necessary.
But I have put i many hours in the Process. Are You counting that in the cost it would not be worth it.

At this point in time it is difficult to assess .But if you can find another 1980 with a stock frame in usable condition.
And the engine has not been around the world 3 times It has leaks one can s at the cylinder head.
depending on time frame I believe another bike or frame would surface at $ 200 $ 500 ..

One way to get more info is with a little oil in the cylinders try to kick it If one has a little experience one can notice.
Some people look at the wear on rubber parts and marks on wheels after tire changes
Other dings on engine and tank.

It will take a lot of work and cost money not necessarily very much if a cheap second bike surfaces
Which most likely will be the one you restore instead.

As i mentioned Young people has tried this before and failed
Time / Money / Room to do it / Tools / Interest / Helping Friends ? / Own skills .

This is the worst starting point for a restoration of a bike -- this new I have seen.
I have tried too sell a running bike ( Honda 400 ) failing... that was looking much better than this .
But it can be done .I Know of one that hauled a Ford Galaxie early 60 ies from Behind a farmers manure stack
Rusty and not running on that many cylinders but he had his own business auto shop.

Sell the carbs and ignition. That will put some money back in your wallet. Put what`s left of the bike on what`s left of Craigslist as a bobber project 95% complete. Someone will buy it for the title & steering neck.:thumbsup:

Anything's fixable. I guess it depends on how much money you want to throw at it. Since the frame's all hacked up, you'll need to buy a hardtail kit for it. Don't think you'll ever get a suspension back there. Does it run?

Hi Jim,
it also depends on how little the OP cares for his spine (wanna eff up your back? Ride a hardtail,)
That bike's truncated tail would be fixable if the PO had a "Bro with TIG" but IMHO the photos show
a bike best suited to parting out.

Back