WTF did I do now? The Ersatz Indian

How is this going end?

• Sold before you even touch it

• sold as soon as it runs

• Allison is going to claim and ride it.

• gggG is going to fix it and ride it to the vintage rally in NC

• This'll be the last straw ggGary'll be (fully) around the bend.

Results are only viewable after voting.

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Guy texted me; he'd had enough. Loved it but it broke fast'n he could fix. So into the van it went.

DSCN9595.JPG DSCN9579.JPG
The magic smoke leaving was the last straw. It's going to be interesting.

Give us some closeups of that alternator mod.
Monoshock or hardtail?

I’ve got so many questions I hardly know where to start.

1. What the heck has he kludged on to the side / front of the motor?
2. Is it supposed to be missing a big chunk of the fins on the left side of the motor?
3. Is it a single carburetor?
4. What’s hiding under that crazy side cover?
5. What the heck is that thing?
6. Do you think you could fit some bull horns on the front end somehow?
7. Are you out of your mind?

I love it, looks like next years ride to NC, iron butt here we come! Woo!

1. Looks like an alternator. I love it...:D
2. Looks to be broke and filed smooth
3. Looks like 2
4. That's why I asked 'bout the monoshock.....
5. 82..... 83....?
6. :D
7. That's what I voted....;)

combo monoshock AND leaf rear springs, and a not pictured leaf front fork attachment!
Haven't peeked under the turbocharger drive yet. :lmao:
some high class kinda fit plumbing elbows twixt the carbs n aircleaners.
There's going to be plenty of bull around THIS project..
it was gas plumbed with all that copper stuff, all fixed up by the PO.
titled as an 81, I had sold him the spoke wheels a few years ago, it was (drum rear) mags
DSCN9600.JPG DSCN9591.JPG

combo monoshock AND leaf rear springs, and a not pictured leaf front fork attachment!
I've got leaf springs from a Cessna 140 and Aeronica tailwheels. Been pondering that setup up the Speed Twin project. I'd love a gander at your ersatz setup.....

Huh? It’s got a turbosupercharger and LEAF springs front and rear...?..well Gary, I’ve got a rear view mirror off a 1966 Rambler American and an Osterizer blender that my Grandma used at the cottage - how about incorporating those too?

All seriousness aside, someone clearly went to a fair bit of effort and expense to create this remarkable machine and so my one question is....why?

Did the PO explain .....why?

Gary, if you sell that thing as an assembled motorcycle, running or not, full disclosure or not, your name will be connected with it as PO of record. Doesn't matter that you didn't make the mess, your reputation will still suffer. There is only one thing to do: part it out. Just to be sure you're not implicated in any way in the criminal butchery of that motorcycle, consider paying someone else a commission to ebay the bits and pieces for you.

Last edited:
It's amazing the abuse people heap on old motorcycles, lol. Nice looking fuse box, lol. All those mods and he didn't replace that. And I think I still see the R.L.U. zip tied in there. That's like the first thing to go on mine.

Back