WTF pictures

I'm thinking, y'know, that crankshaft could probably be cleaned up and rebuilt. New bearings and seals. Mind you, unless you have the hydraulic press and other tools to do the job yerself, would probably be cheaper to source a replacement.

Must have been a lotta water inside the crankcases.

It's the triple I picked up and that's what happens when a bike is leaned against a barn for 15 years and water makes it way past the air box. The crank can be rebuilt. A guy in Maryland specializes in triple cranks and I recently had him rebuild my RD crank. Here's the RD crank after he worked his magic on it.
IMG_20210416_104700819_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Took a couple of weeks to get the cylinders off. Soaked them with AeroKroil and tried every couple of days and eventually got them off with out damaging the cylinders. Had to cut the pistons off the connecting rods because the wrist pins were beyond stuck and I broke my wrist pin tool trying. Oh the joys of rebuilding old bikes.
motor.jpg

It's the triple I picked up and that's what happens when a bike is leaned against a barn for 15 years and water makes it way past the air box. The crank can be rebuilt. A guy in Maryland specializes in triple cranks and I recently had him rebuild my RD crank. Here's the RD crank after he worked his magic on it.
View attachment 253394

What did that cost ya?

Asking for a friend... :cautious:

It was $350. The Kawasaki is going to be more expensive because it's going to need new connecting rods, the RD just needed new bearings.
Holy crap!! :yikes: :geek: At that price I might just use him instead of building my own press plates.
Did he replace the labyrinth seal also?
Got a name for us?
Wonder if he'll do XS cranks too?

His name is Charlie Smith and I found him through the Kawasaki Triple Owners Group. I posted a pic of the crank there because I thought it was total trash but he got in touch with me and assured me it could be rebuilt. I have it boxed up right now and will be sending it to him soon and after he did the RD crank I have total confidence in his work.

Took a couple of weeks to get the cylinders off. Soaked them with AeroKroil and tried every couple of days and eventually got them off with out damaging the cylinders. Had to cut the pistons off the connecting rods because the wrist pins were beyond stuck and I broke my wrist pin tool trying. Oh the joys of rebuilding old bikes.
View attachment 253402
When I had my GT750 Waterbuffalo, it was common to see messed up cranks like that. I too thought they were trash but many were brought back to “like new” condition by the experts who do this sort of thing. GT750 crank rebuilds were $2,000 cdn and up depending on parts required.

Ahrekin this is what "a wing and a prayer" means... say, what kinna flyer is dat?
Is there a bar in Heaven? Slats down, the pic may be real... ;) 40N

1697724322088.png

Looks like St George, looks like Greek Airforce markings, looks like a Mirage 2000. They - the Greeks - do sometimes paint extravagant designs on their planes.

Back