XK-K

1978 Tracker

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 78' tracker has a 1983 XS-K heritage Moter in it from the resto done a while ago. Good motor?? Good decision??

Attachments

• Tracker.jpg
    Tracker.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 56
Makes me chuckle to myself when questions are asked and all you get are likes...............only three, slow day.

No real difference between the 78 engines and the 83 engines.................Electronics are though. 83 engines have Factory electronic ignitions, (TCI), incorporating the Advance with a SS Reg/rect..............78 Engines have points ignition with a mechanical advance and a separate regulator and seperate rectifier

Makes me chuckle to myself when questions are asked and all you get are likes...............only three, slow day.

No real difference between the 78 engines and the 83 engines.................Electronics are though. 83 engines have Factory electronic ignitions, (TCI), incorporating the Advance with a SS Reg/rect..............78 Engines have points ignition with a mechanical advance and a separate regulator and seperate rectifier
Thank you!!

Aside from very minor differences (like number of clutch plates) most all XS650 motors are the same. No one version stands out among the others as being a bad or good motor. Any of the versions that did have minor problems are pretty easily either rectified or changed to be a non issue. Earlier motors had slightly different cam grind. Carbs and Ignition system are the biggest changes made over the years and your bike already has has aftermarket round slide carbs. I assume its probably got a pamco ignition as well.

Aside from very minor differences (like number of clutch plates) most all XS650 motors are the same. No one version stands out among the others as being a bad or good motor. Any of the versions that did have minor problems are pretty easily either rectified or changed to be a non issue. Earlier motors had slightly different cam grind. Carbs and Ignition system are the biggest changes made over the years and your bike already has has aftermarket round slide carbs. I assume its probably got a pamco ignition as well.
Thank you for the info. I am still researching the build. The bike runs great!!

As far as the 6 plate clutch goes, I rather like it. The reason it has one less plate than the earlier clutch is that Yamaha added a spring-loaded bottom steel "damper" plate. This smooths engagement. I don't have slipping issues because I've added aftermarket heavy duty springs. Also, although modded, both my bikes aren't that radical. They just have the basic "pods and pipes" mods. I'm sure your clutch has been gone through and at least has the HD springs.

As far as the 6 plate clutch goes, I rather like it. The reason it has one less plate than the earlier clutch is that Yamaha added a spring-loaded bottom steel "damper" plate. This smooths engagement. I don't have slipping issues because I've added aftermarket heavy duty springs. Also, although modded, both my bikes aren't that radical. They just have the basic "pods and pipes" mods. I'm sure your clutch has been gone through and at least has the HD springs.
My clutch works great and I am sure it has been updated. Motor is stock with pipes and carb upgrade.

HD springs did nothing for my clutch except get me a few more revs before it began to slip again, but maybe I'm lardier than some of you guys. My engine only has about 23,000 miles (36,000k,s) on it, so I think the plates should still be good. The camchain seems to have stretched quite a bit though.

HD springs did nothing for my clutch except get me a few more revs before it began to slip again, but maybe I'm lardier than some of you guys. My engine only has about 23,000 miles (36,000k,s) on it, so I think the plates should still be good. The camchain seems to have stretched quite a bit though.
HD springs gave me an extra 3-400 rpm, 5200 went to 5500 ish. A 250 miles of Ozark riding and it was slipping at 4400. A @gggGary 8 plate clutch solved the problem. I have pipes, pods and a 750 kit.

Back