Wanted - XS-1 or XS-2 fuel tank

rem61

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Fellow XS650 lovers,

I'm looking for a xs-1 or xs-2 fuel tank. I would prefer original paint only in any condition minus holes from rust. I will pay a fair price and not looking for a deal. I'm also looking for the Holy Grail, that can be in any condition.

Robert

I'm looking for a xs-1 or xs-2 fuel tank. I would prefer original paint only in any condition minus holes from rust. I will pay a fair price and not looking for a deal. I'm also looking for the Holy Grail, that can be in any condition.

Robert
There are probably more claims to the grail than there are tanks out there. :p
Harrison Ford Rock GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

DogBunny (if that's your real name),

Thanks so much for the tip. I've been watching ebay daily and hadn't checked before your response. Yes it was me. I bought the tank, even those it looks really rough. I'm willing to take the risk for that price. There's another tank on ebay, original color no filler but the guy wants $700.00. I offered him $400.00 and he turned me down. I have a general rule, the tank can't cost twice as much as the donor bike, lol. Thanks again for your post. It will no doubt be interesting. Hey to Austin, Bob Schneider, The Continental Club and the music scene in general. Miss that town but not the traffic. Living the dream in old Santa Fe... please don't move here, ha!

DogBunny (if that's your real name),

Thanks so much for the tip. I've been watching ebay daily and hadn't checked before your response. Yes it was me. I bought the tank, even those it looks really rough. I'm willing to take the risk for that price. There's another tank on ebay, original color no filler but the guy wants $700.00. I offered him $400.00 and he turned me down. I have a general rule, the tank can't cost twice as much as the donor bike, lol. Thanks again for your post. It will no doubt be interesting. Hey to Austin, Bob Schneider, The Continental Club and the music scene in general. Miss that town but not the traffic. Living the dream in old Santa Fe... please don't move here, ha!

Ha! I blew your rule to bits on my current CB project haha.

Robert (rem61),

If that eBay tank that you just purchased doesn't meet your expectations, or it needs more work than you want to put into it, please let me know, and I would like a shot at it.

Cheers,
Jon

Robert (rem61),

If that eBay tank that you just purchased doesn't meet your expectations, or it needs more work than you want to put into it, please let me know, and I would like a shot at it.

Cheers,
Jon
Absolutely Jon, thank you. I have another one I bought a few months ago that had some poor metal work done on it. It may be available too. If you can Tig weld I'm sure it's repairable. I only know how to Mig and don't have the time to reinvent the wheel... again ha!

Attachments

• IMG_6442.jpg
    IMG_6442.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6445.jpg
    IMG_6445.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6444.jpg
    IMG_6444.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6446.jpg
    IMG_6446.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Absolutely Jon, thank you. I have another one I bought a few months ago that had some poor metal work done on it. It may be available too. If you can Tig weld I'm sure it's repairable. I only know how to Mig and don't have the time to reinvent the wheel... again ha!

Thank you, Robert. Yeah, that tank looks like the top was cut out and you are right, the workmanship or lack thereof certainly does leave a lot to be desired!

The gas tank has been rustproofed completely restored to better than new condition with oem matching candy mandarin.
Comes with the other painted parts, Headlight bucket, fork ears, both side covers. New emblems, new mikes petcocks, new gas cap, all prefect for any high end restoration.

Thanks for your post Scobman. I found another tank on ebay I'm working with and will do a custom paint job on it. It would be a crime to touch your beatifual tank.

Robert
I have a 1982 xs650 special gas tank. not rusted, has 1 dent. here in CA.

Back