XS 850 Re Model

The mould turned out ok ,but I was too mean with the PVA or forgot to apply it to one side any how I wrecked the paint on the tail piece. The owner was not bothered and asked if I would make him one from my mould. The blue one is for him.There was some bubbling of the gel coat in one place I think it was to thin but will talk to a local who has been doing this stuff for years to find the fix.
The next one out of the mould will be for the 850 and will be wider and not have gel coat as I want to lay the seat pan up to it. 20230514_164651.jpg20230514_164700.jpg20230514_164711.jpg

I have been side tracked a bit working on the RD ignition but was able to make the rear exhaust bracket. It needs welding at the bends but I am out of gas at the present. I also have started making the RHS foot peg hanger rear brake master cylinder mount. Wish I had a band saw.
Slowly making progress but another interesting project is looming so this will go on the back burner for a while. As Jim says the 850 will glare at me when I go in the shed.
bracket.jpgPlate.jpg

Hi. Just looking to see if there were any updates and pics on this thread.
I have a similar XS850 project underway, looking at R6 front end, 80’s cafe look to it.
You said you fitted the rear R1 calliper bracket with only a slight mod and the xs disc. Can you enlighten me as the R1 disc is smaller.
Cheers.

Hi Eugene, it has been such a long time since I did this I am struggling to remember. I did make a large spacer to bring the XS disc out further, and drilled the new hanger to suit the larger 850 axle.
I cant remember what year the caliper and hanger came off but if you look at post number 18 you can see it has a casting for a torque arm. Most of the ones that come up in google images dont have this casting.
From memory all I did was drill the casting, move the disc to compensate for the off set and make a torque arm that fitted to the XS rear brake hanger bracket mount.
I don't remember having to compensate for the R1 having a smaller disc.

Hi Eugene, it has been such a long time since I did this I am struggling to remember. I did make a large spacer to bring the XS disc out further, and drilled the new hanger to suit the larger 850 axle.
I cant remember what year the caliper and hanger came off but if you look at post number 18 you can see it has a casting for a torque arm. Most of the ones that come up in google images dont have this casting.
From memory all I did was drill the casting, move the disc to compensate for the off set and make a torque arm that fitted to the XS rear brake hanger bracket mount.
I don't remember having to compensate for the R1 having a smaller disc.
Thanks for the info. I just can’t find any hangers for a larger 265mm disc only the 1998 R1 at 245mm, was considering getting the XS disc turned down.
Nice work you’ve done there, are you keeping the wire wheels?

Thank you and yes I will keep the wire wheels. They came with the package of 1 bike and 1 parts bike I bought. They are from a Japanese market GX 750 that was not sold in NZ and pretty rare. They have been rebuilt with new rims and spokes. The cost was eye watering.

That’s a shame. Yes, they are like rocking horse poo. But the bike looks the absolute business with wire wheels. I’m looking into getting a one off hub done , but like wise it gives me heartburn.

For the front use a wire wheel XS 650 hub. For the rear a friend of mine's son got a rear hub from a XV500 virago (some models had wire wheels) for his XV500. No idea if it would fit an 850 rear drive but given that a lot of parts do interchange it could be worth researching.
Check the part numbers on CSML might give you a clue

Back