xs bobber/chopper with stock tank

xsfan1986

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site and have just started my first custom build. While I like the look of the sporty tanks that I am used to seeing I am wanting to use a stock XS tank. I have had a hell of a time trying to find pictures of custome builds that have a stock tank. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.:bike:

I stuck with the stock tank on mine. It is nice to have the stock rubber mounts.
If you go through the gallery you will find some others as well.

Georelle

Attachments

• left post.jpg
    left post.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 450
Georelle's is one of a very few that look good with the stock tank. Mainly because if you hard-tail it with the standard weld-on kits, the stock tank hangs out over the down-curve in the backbone. Most hardtails weld on in the middle of the curve rather than having a smooth transition straight down the backbone. (Some of this has to do with weld strength and some has to do with geometry.) If you go with a weld-on kit expect the tank to hang over, as they are designed to weld onto the preexisting seat rail gusset.

Georelle's looks good because he bent the original seat rails past where the tank mounts.

Also, take a look at the finished scoot in the third picture down: Dirka's XS650 chop

He got creative with a weld-on kit and a lot of one-off fabrication. I love the dished tank.

mine started with a stock tank...it was so long there is a chrome tow hook holding up the back of tank, then I went with early harley...looked pretty good, and now peanut...my favorite.

You can still see the tow hook in the other pics to see how long that first tank was. BTW, that tank is available with cap, key and petcock

Attachments

• also stock tank.jpg
    also stock tank.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 239
  • stock tank.jpg
    stock tank.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 203
  • xs650 003.jpg
    xs650 003.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 235
  • xs650 016.jpg
    xs650 016.jpg