XS charge ignition problems.

Ah, maybe now we're getting to it. There is also a difference in an inductive ignition coil and CDI compatible coil. I think your issue may be the opposite, but this link explains the difference and why the transistors in pick-up are getting fried

https://www.diyautotune.com/news/tu...il-might-not-work-with-an-inductive-ignition/
Interesting… I will go over this with a fine tooth comb, do some more testing and get back to you guys. Really appreciate the quick responses from you fellas, especially me being a newbie poster. More info to come and hopefully we can get this figured out.

Well, I'm not a fan of Mikes stuff. I see the "XS Charge Ignition" threads pop up here all the time. That alone gives me reason to question the reliability...

Well, I'm not a fan of Mikes stuff. I see the "XS Charge Ignition" threads pop up here all the time. That alone gives me reason to question the reliability...
Agree with Jim. Bought the XS Charge from Mikes. One night wiring up the bobber I accidentally left ignition key on for about an hour and it fried that ignition. I know this doesn't help in this capacitor driven situation, but I'll never buy that system again. It is very sensitive.

I’m beginning to see that for what it is. Any recommendations for another brand of ignition seeing how I’ve already bought HHB charging system? Been thinking about going back to points… Boyer bransen has a whole other box etc to hide

I’m beginning to see that for what it is. Any recommendations for another brand of ignition seeing how I’ve already bought HHB charging system? Been thinking about going back to points… Boyer bransen has a whole other box etc to hide
If I was gonna go PMA/capacitor, points would be my iggy of choice. Use those three and you've basically created a giant magneto system.

Last edited:
Can you buy just the CDI ignition from Hughs? I know they sell a complete PMA system with ignition.

If I was gonna go PMA/capacitor, points would be my iggy of choice. Use those three and you've basically created a giant magneto.

What’s you stance on NOT using condensers? Is that looking for trouble or can it be done well?

It's another complete charging/ignition system, but I do like my VAPE and have not heard of any issues. Bit tricky to install. Nothing on the camshaft.

Can you buy just the CDI ignition from Hughs? I know they sell a complete PMA system with ignition.
He does but the charging system itself is different from his CDI kit. I couldn’t just add on the ignition part I’d have to buy a whole new charging/ignition setup :/

On the points? You have to have condensers with points.
Ehhh yeahhhh, I’ve heard people rigging them to run without somehow but I’m not qualified enough to try it obv. Looks like I’m going back to the trusty points system like all my other bikes… Thought electronic would be cool but it’s turned out to be a nightmare

It's another complete charging/ignition system, but I do like my VAPE and have not heard of any issues. Bit tricky to install. Nothing on the camshaft.
I looked at them when I was shopping… hard to spend another $600 when i have spent all this money on the system I have now. Maybe it’s something I need to do and use the other new stuff on another bike down the road

Ehhh yeahhhh, I’ve heard people rigging them to run without somehow but I’m not qualified enough to try it obv.
Some (older.... early electronic) systems used the points to fire a transistor, which in turn fired the coil. The base of the transistor only sees about 700mv so it doesn't need the condenser to prevent burnt contacts.
Perhaps you were thinking of that?

Some (older.... early electronic) systems used the points to fire a transistor, which in turn fired the coil. The base of the transistor only sees about 700mv so it doesn't need the condenser to prevent burnt contacts.
Perhaps you were thinking of that?
This IS what I was thinking of, thank you.

Agreed, I have heard the same but with the mofset rec/reg they say it’s no problem. Capacitor tests great on the bench and in the bike

Not making an issue as you have used a battery so that point it mute.

HHB use, and advises, to switch to Mossfit reg/rectifiers because they dissipate the heat, generated by the oversized PMA's that put out 200watts, better. The ones that came with the kits HHB, (was using), were overheating and blowing the reg part of the Reg/Rect. and kept on blowing the Pamco ignitions as well.

just some context and history.

Try your luck? :sneaky:

1661238018692.png

Not making an issue as you have used a battery so that point it mute.

HHB use, and advises, to switch to Mossfit reg/rectifiers because they dissipate the heat, generated by the oversized PMA's that put out 200watts, better. The ones that came with the kits HHB, (was using), were overheating and blowing the reg part of the Reg/Rect. and kept on blowing the Pamco ignitions as well.

just some context and history.
I appreciate both the context and history. This HHB charging system was bought with the MOFSET reg/rec a month or two ago and believe its the latest version so I should be safe on that front correct? Its been testing fine so far...

hmmmm.... Maybe this winter I'll give it a shot haha Right now I just want to ride this damn thing! I knew better not to go with Mikes stuff but all the other vendors were sold out aka HHB/Vape. Didnt want to go with boyer bc I didnt want another box to hide. Bikes been done for awhile now, need to drop another $600 on a new system or go points. Thing is, not the best at tuning with the points and they can be a real PITA but I must say my '67 triumph 750 has always been a 1 or 2 kick pony, even with my tuning skills... I think we all know what I should do haha

IME, given a good working mechanical advance, setting-up points is a damn sight easier than installing a VAPE:)

More maintenance going forward, but....

Setting point's is something I thoroughly enjoy doing. Maybe 'cause it takes me back to my youth when that's all you had... dunno.
Pretty sure I enjoyed it back then too.
Sit down with a cup of coffee... maybe take a hit off the pipe ( :smoke: ) and just enjoy the process.
All my current projects still have points. Pretty sure I'm gonna leave 'em that way.
'Cept maybe the BSA Victor. They were awful when new, I suspect they still are. Might just be a candidate for a homegrown points/transistor system with a modern coil. :geek:

Back