XS charge ignition problems.

Gentlemen, I have an update. Mikes sent a replacement ignition and if you remember the thing was a one kick bike running quite well, with a little minor carb tuning left when it suddenly quit. I installed the new ignition, triple checked all my wiring AGAIN and starting kicking. Nothing. I had constant, beautiful spark so I believe the ignition is working how it should, so far, Kick kick kick, all signs point to rich condition, out of the blue, won't start. Hit the chokes for fun and it starts, sounds terrible. I'm baffled. Will only run for 10 seconds or so with choke on, won't run otherwise. This tells me I'm actually too LEAN. Change pilot to one step richer, double check floats (24mm) VM34s, blow out all orifices. Acts even more rich. Won't start. Am I missing something here? Changing out to an ignition that works I was expecting it to start right up like it did before. Is it a coincidence that my brand new carbs screwed up somewhere along the way? This is truly screwing with my head and why I come to you here today.

I am at 6000 ft above sea level and this is the setup that was working great before the ignition shit the bed- VM34s- 12.5 pilots, 170 mains, 159 P-6 needle jet, needle 6F9 clipped on second notch, no air jets, not sure what the slide is, purchased carbs from TCBros. Mains still felt a little rich at this point and pilot a little lean but like i say, the thing ran 8/10.

While boggling my mind of what might've broke at a similar time of teh ignition going I checked the compression. Dry i got 90psi on both, wet I got 105 on both. Cam chain, valves, etc are all checked. I know there's a lot going on here, trying to give as much info as possible. Maybe my compression is finally low enough the thing doesn't want to run anymore...

Yeah, low compression for sure, but if ignition and fuel/carb is set properly, it would prob still run, just not good. Time for a leak down test. If you put a teaspoon or so of 2 stroke oil in ea cylinder and you only get a bump of 10 psi, my guess is valves. Are you sure your doing compression check properly? Throttle wide open when cranking? I like to use compression tester without the long hose. You'll always get slightly lower compression with the long hose type tester. Plently of posts on here on leak down test. Make sure the bike is well planted first. You fill cylinders at TDC with 130 or so psi, that bike will wanna launch itself in gear. I'm sure others will chime in.

:twocents: So, quite a curious problem: going from easy to start, suddenly, doesn't happen from a jetting problem (only clogged carb), low compression doesn't happen suddenly - unless a burnt valve, then not evenly each cylinder - so, that brings us back to ignition and its power-supply. The ignition (some of it) has been switched. Timing verified? Now we're back to power supply (including wiring).:shrug:

Hit the chokes for fun and it starts, sounds terrible
Hmmm, so it sparks and starts with chokes. Big intake manifold leak? Intake valve not sealing? Still weird to happen suddenly

Another off-the-wall (given symptoms): float bowl vents/vent tubes blocked (somehow), plugs should be dry if that happened.

Yeah, low compression for sure, but if ignition and fuel/carb is set properly, it would prob still run, just not good. Time for a leak down test. If you put a teaspoon or so of 2 stroke oil in ea cylinder and you only get a bump of 10 psi, my guess is valves. Are you sure your doing compression check properly? Throttle wide open when cranking? I like to use compression tester without the long hose. You'll always get slightly lower compression with the long hose type tester. Plently of posts on here on leak down test. Make sure the bike is well planted first. You fill cylinders at TDC with 130 or so psi, that bike will wanna launch itself in gear. I'm sure others will chime in.

This was my next thought, had an old tester but threw it away awhile back. Time for a new one. Compression tester has the long hose and is a cheaper one so numbers could be skewed. It’s just weird all of a sudden won’t start like it used to. More tests to be done…

:twocents: So, quite a curious problem: going from easy to start, suddenly, doesn't happen from a jetting problem (only clogged carb), low compression doesn't happen suddenly - unless a burnt valve, then not evenly each cylinder - so, that brings us back to ignition and its power-supply. The ignition (some of it) has been switched. Timing verified? Now we're back to power supply (including wiring).:shrug:

The short time I had it barely running timing looked close. I swear my wiring is sound and components seem to be running as they should as far as I can tell. I really think this is a fuel issue somehow…possible valve? The only thing that’s been different/weird is that when opening petcocks after installing carbs one side fills slower and acts like it’s pulling a vacuum somehow? Line won’t fill all the way up and yes tank is full of gas. Petcock is plugged? Eventually it will fill full after awhile and when hose is off it dumps fuel like it should which is why I say vacuum. When I tap the bowl the fuel in the line goes down. I took a vid but now I can’t find it Ughhh

This was my next thought, had an old tester but threw it away awhile back. Time for a new one. Compression tester has the long hose and is a cheaper one so numbers could be skewed. It’s just weird all of a sudden won’t start like it used to. More tests to be done…
Did compression test with carbs off and both plugs pulled

Hmmm, so it sparks and starts with chokes. Big intake manifold leak? Intake valve not sealing? Still weird to happen suddenly
Not seeing where it could leak… Anything is possible I guess. Bowl vents should be clear, blew them out. Plugs are wet ish but it was only running on choke so kinda makes sense? The all of a sudden runs like this is what’s killing me

VM34's: how are the vent tubes routed and do they vent? Does the tank cap vent (doesn't match symptoms, but...)

mku-vm34sc.jpg
dk165145b.jpg

Last edited:
VM34's: how are the vent tubes routed and do they vent? Does the tank cap vent (doesn't match symptoms, but...)

View attachment 224215View attachment 224216
The ones I have vent like the bottom photo and I blew air through them to make sure. Tank cap vents but I took it off to test bc I was thinking the same thing. Cap on or off it does the same thing but only one carb. I feel like this is my biggest lead on what might be wrong but not sure I what it is

The ones I have vent like the bottom photo and I blew air through them to make sure. Tank cap vents but I took it off to test bc I was thinking the same thing. Cap on or off it does the same thing but only one carb. I feel like this is my biggest lead on what might be wrong but not sure I what it is
Imagine I take the petcock off and blow it out and that solves the problem… wouldn’t that be something… Also, this petcocks have reserve and I’ve heard certain ones can cause vacuum somehow??

:shrug:Insert quotes from Garcia, Lesh, et al "...strange trip it's been"

Hope you get "truck'in" soon:bike:

They need vacuum to operate..............are yours still vacuum type or manual................the tell is Vacuum petcocks have a prime position instead of off.

Couldn't be bothered to reread the thread to see if the info has already been posted..........:shrug:

They need vacuum to operate..............are yours still vacuum type or manual................the tell is Vacuum petcocks have a prime position instead of off.

Couldn't be bothered to reread the thread to see if the info has already been posted..........:shrug:
Worthy question at this point; attached pic would indicate not likely vacuum petcocks:

70B5C24E-F953-4199-8DEB-76224AC4D219.jpeg

You made the right choice to not to read all the bullshit above :laugh2: ohhh right, i remember now with the prime position thing, they dont have that. Not sure if these are vacuum or not? I though vm34s were NOT vacuum ? as opposed to a CV carb... i need to figure out how to upload a vid

Back