XS1-B 1970/1972 Headlight unit Remanufacture

Classics Junkie

XS650 Member
Reaction score
HI all, I need your input I am in the process of remanufacturing the early Koito 7.5" headlight,
as a purest I wanted to produce these lights as the original specification, however, the reflector bowl
was originally a sealed beam unit, which I can reproduce as was, and fix the bulb permanently in position as a non replacement unit with 45/45w bulb that looks the same.
alternatively, the reflector bowl manufacturer can replace the fixed bulb fitting with a modern 2 spring clips fixing, to allow a replacement halogen bulb to be used. (Feed back please)
Another issue has arisen with the reflector bowl, the glass lays flat at the edge of the reflector and then crimped over the edge to form a seal against the heat resistant material.
To fold and crimp as originally produced, would involve additional tooling and a costly two stage process when tooling for the bowl, with consideration of low volume units preproduced, the alternative is to directly bond & seal the edge of the headlight glass to the reflector bowl as modern day methods.
once the headlight is in the bowl housing with the rim attached you would not see any difference to the original light.
Considering the cost saving and versatility to the end user, with bulb type choices, would this be acceptable to XS1 owners? Many Thanks, Steven.

Last edited:
I'd go with the simple glued unit.. it works.. and cheap. As stated once installed...no foul... . I'm not a fan of the halogen bulbs.. heard the Xs electrical system runs hotter with this blub... perhaps the electrical gurus can help.

Yamaha changed from a sealed unit to a non-sealed arrangement having a lens with replaceable bulb in late 1972. The 1973 TX650 had a non-sealed arrangement with a replaceable bulb.
I recall that there was problems with the vibration on the very early bikes destroying the sealed unit which was relatively expensive to replace compared with replacing a cheap 12V 45/45W bulb.

I just got a 1972 XS2 and need a headlight. The original is there with all parts. And have searched for an answer as to what to do so I can have a working headlight. What is the best way to go? Could the original bulb be removed and a new three prong type bulb be put in, or a headlight assembly from a 1975 fit in the ears for mounting. Any help would be appreciated first xs 650.

I just got a 1972 XS2 and need a headlight. The original is there with all parts. And have searched for an answer as to what to do so I can have a working headlight. What is the best way to go? Could the original bulb be removed and a new three prong type bulb be put in, or a headlight assembly from a 1975 fit in the ears for mounting. Any help would be appreciated first xs 650.
Not my work and this job is a bit on the crude side but converting an early headlight to accept an H4 bulb (either Halogen or LED is not that difficult. With a little care it could be done with a rather professional result.

Attachments

• KIMG1611.JPG
    KIMG1611.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 70
  • KIMG1610.JPG
    KIMG1610.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 78
DSC07116.JPGDSC07117.JPG
Here's a JB-Weld H4 retrofit that I just happened to acquire today. "Not my work and this job is a bit on the crude side."
IT IS FOR SALE! Both beams work. If it was me, I'd cut off that plastic collar thing, ditch the janky wire harness, and connect to the wiring harness with female spade lugs. The chrome trim ring is also for sale. Two bad scrapes, but better than nothing.
Also, here's a link to another way to retrofit the 70-73 headlight:
https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs1-or-xs2-or-73tx-headlight.61174/page-2#post-753128 post #22
ONE CAVEAT with either of these methods: These retro-fits are designed to pass a vehicle inspection. It enables you to demonstrate to an inspector a high and low beam. It also allows other vehicles to see you at night. As for actually illuminating the road in front of you while you're riding -- well that's another matter. The new filaments will not be in the correct parabolic position within the reflector. It WILL throw a beam of light, but not necessarily focused like the original light bulb.

Last edited:
Back